on 10 April 2011
The Toshiba DVR 20 is a nice machine for which I have only three negative comments:
1. If you use the machine as a link between another piece of equipment (I have a Humax PVR) and your TV, you have to have the Toshiba powered up to watch the PVR on the TV. It has no 'throughput' without it being powered unlike my previous Panasonic combo.
2. The selection of an external source is a little confusing as despite the fact that there is an 'input select' button on the remote, this only partially selects the remote input and after having used it you have to further select "AV1" "AV2" or "AV3" using the program up/down rocker keys! (This took me quite some time to work out.)
3. A minor thing, but the smoked glass on the front is so dark it's difficult to see the displays - I tend to leave it open when using the machine.
Other than these quibbles the machine works nicely and probably has more functions than most of us will ever require!
on 11 February 2011
I strongly advise against the purchase of this machine. When it does work it is very good indeed, and easy to use.The VCR to DVD dubbing is particularly useful and I successfully transferred many old tapes to DVD. There is a reliability problem however. My first machine lasted 3 months and then just "died".The replacement sent very quickly by Amazon, refused to record after just 2 weeks. Thank goodness for Amazon's incomparable customer service, My returns were easily organised, and my payment refunded very quickly.Thanks Amazon for all of your excellent service!
My recording troubles continued with a Hard Disc Recorder, which had a will of it's own and stubbornly refused to record my favourite program (Michael Portillo's Railway Journeys. So I am saving up for a Panasonic DVD/VCR/HDD.
on 31 August 2010
We are very pleased with this. Haven't used all its functions yet - just watched videos and DVDs - still to try recording from video onto a DVD and don't use the freeview as we have freesat. We bought this maninly because we still have a large video collection and our old video recorder doesn't have the connections needed to connect to our amp. Plus its saved space as oppose to having a separate DVD and video player its all in one (beware the fan that sticks out the back makes the unit a little longer so for most TV stands etc would help to have an open back so it doesn't stick out the front.

Over all happy with our purchase - and it does all we want it to do.
on 21 January 2011
I bought this machine for one purpose only - to get all my old camcorder VHS transferred to digital media. In this task the machine has outperformed all my expectations in terms of both quality, consistency and ease of use. I successfully transferred about 50hrs worth of family history (going back to the mid-eighties) from badly degrading VHS tapes to DVD without a hitch.

However the machine really is a monster, both in size and operation - The control menus look like something you might have seen in the early '90s. The instruction manual is very comprehensive but may also seem quite complicated to non-technophiles. It also utilises "Engrish" quite liberally throughout, which makes for an amusing read.

I have not experienced any of the other issues mentioned by other reviewers nor have I really used many of the other features. But if you want to transfer VHS to DVD I cannot think of a more useful device. The best endorsement I can give is that now I have finished copying my tapes everyone else wants to borrow it.
on 7 August 2010
This recorder was to be a direct replacement for a Panasonic DMR-EZ47VEB recorder, having the same features.
It was not easy to set up and get going, as was the Panasonic, when I first had it. As with the Panasonic, that had been no problem at all to use from the start, until the DVD drive failed recently, I only wanted to use the Toshiba with a HDMI connection. It did do this eventually, the only problem was, there was no audio for Freeview or the DVD player. No amount of adjusting the settings on it, or the two year old Tevion 42 inch TV, could produce sound. Perhaps the TV was too old? I plugged in a scart cable, and this did produce the audio, but the very poor picture quality, compared to the HDMI connection, was very noticeable.
I went on-line to Amazon's returns page, the same day I had received the Toshiba, downloaded and printed a return label, and repacked the unit. It was collected by UPS the next day, and two days later Amazon had refunded my purchase price.
The only good thing about this deal was the brilliant service from Amazon, no one could have done better!
on 13 February 2011
I bought this for my 87 year old father when his 15 year-old Toshiba VCR packed in just after Christmas.

The automatic setup is a doddle and he can now watch Channel 5 properly for the first time.

Controls are easy, if a little on the small side, and whereas he wasn't really using his current DVD player, he'll use this one quite happily because it's part of the same machine.

Picture quality on VCR is superb, as it is on DVD.

Dubbing from VCR to DVD is easy and the results are way better than I thought they'd be.

I know some people complain about the size of this unit, but it's no bigger than a Ferguson Videostar (ah, nostalgia...) it looks and feels solid.

Great buy - would recommend to anyone.
on 29 August 2010
Very pleased with product. Bought for an elderly lady who struggled to record to DVD - needed grandson to explain instructions.
on 23 April 2011
I bought this item back in August and started recording my video's onto DVD the video player packed up because it was within 30 days I got an replacement in September. I use this for about 4 hours per week playing DVD's it's now April and I was watching a DVD about 1 hour into the film the whole system turned off, now it won't work at all. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT it developes major faults really quickly.
on 22 December 2013
I have had this item for about a week now. So far it has failed to play or transfer several cassettes properly (try to play a VHS tape and the sound keeps becoming distorted, as though it keeps trying to play the tape too quickly). When I've tried to play a DVD the sound kept distorting and then the machine switched itself off. This was a replacement for a previous Toshiba recorder of the same model which worked alright for two years before refusing to play tapes. Now it won't play anything. Every time I try to play or rewind a tape it just switches itself off. The same thing happened to the other one of the same model, although that lasted two years rather than a week.

Don't buy this. It's an expensive turkey.
on 22 September 2010
This is just what the doctor ordered. Not only a Freeview Box. B ut I managed to record myself on Meridian Tonight (South East Local TV) to VCR and then run off 10 copies from VCR to DVD for the family and friends..No loss of quality if you use a NEW VCR tape.. Well Done Toshiba John