on 3 January 2013
I love the idea of wireless, I know it's necessary for phones, tablets, etc. but I still can't bring myself to accept it as a replacement for proper wired networking, it's too unreliable and not fast enough.
I recently moved house and had to put my modem, router and network storage upstairs, while my TV with media centre PC is downstairs - unfortunately as it's rented I can't run proper cable and the wireless wasn't good enough to stream HD video reliably.. enter the Homeplugs!

These are a great price, look nice, compact and fast - what's not to like? 200MBPS is plenty for all my needs but there's obviously the choice of faster if you need it. They're really easy to set up, basically just plug in and away you go, but there's also simple buttons to set the encryption so next door can't plug in the same product and see your network, good peace of mind.
I use one direct into a wall socket and the other in a 6-way extension which also powers the modem, router, network drive and printer, this hasn't caused any problems at all, the connection is rock solid never had a single issue with them.

I remember a friend buying something similar to this around 10 years ago and being impressed with the idea, now I'm impressed how well it's kept up with the speed of modern networks and at a really affordable price.
If you're having any issues with wireless, get yourself a pair of these and never look back!
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2011
My problem is that my main computer is upstairs with the router on an extension lead but I wanted an internet connection to the TV downstairs.

A Sony dongle for the tv was more expensive than this Homeplug and I felt the Homeplug would be more versitile. It would also be faster as Sky have not got to N routers yet (as far as I know). Cheaper non Sony dongles are supposed not to work on Sony TV's

Moving the router downstairs would also remove the need for the extension which I am told is possibly a hinderance to a good set up.

The set up was a doddle but this uses the default encryption key. I don't think the instructions stress enough the importance of changing this although it did describe 2 easy methods of resetting the key. One method simply requires the user to push a button on the homeplug.

I have noticed that different power outlets give different connection speeds but I think this will be due to the house wiring but even the lowest speed I obtained was faster than my internet connect by a factor of 10.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2012
Amazing devices,just plugged into the electrical sockets and they found each other instantly. The main one is plugged next to the router, the other one is in another room, working with a 5 port gigabit switch TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) Plastic Case to connect my xbox, media server, lappy and wii to my tv.
My main link (local) is connecting at 200mbs, and my other one (remote) is connecting at 104mbs which is amazing, I never thought I would get this with my old electrical wiring, would you ever get that on wireless? You can use the D-Link Power Utility to see what you're connecting at.
Now I know that they work so well, I will putting another 2 upstairs in the bedrooms, so the kids can have instant internet access.

Forget wireless connections, these are definately the way to go.

Highly recommended.
on 30 March 2011
My wireless played merry hell with my playstation which was no good when playing online. Annoyed me a little as the router is in the hall just outside where the PS is so must be down to electrics or whatever in the wall or the router supplier giving out routers without aerials!. Anyway I needed a solution and thought of homeplugs, I'd heard good and bad reports about them so had my fingers crossed when I took the plunge and ordered these.

Well I'm very impressed it gives me the same performance that a cable would but without the hassle/ugliness of the wires. I even pluged it into a extension socket at the router end and I see no degredation although the circuit can't be that far apart as its only in the next room so don't get any noise on them.

I'm sure I could've maybe done something a little cheaper but for the ease and tidiness I highly recommend them.
One person found this helpful
on 5 April 2011
The other writeups seemed to indicate these were easy to setup. having had a D-Link router which was so easy I beleaved them (once had Netgear router, gave up on it)
All you do is plug em in, how hard is that, at first the remote one was in an extention and I got 56MBPS then I move it to the wall socket (where the extention was) and got 160MBPS. Fantastic now I can get internet radio on my HiFi and control it with my iphone.
The bad bit.
The manual recomends changing the encryption key, this is easy but you have to type a password into the supplied software to change the remote unit (the one connected directly does not need this). Unfortunaly D-Link had got the stickers mixed up the password for the remote one was stuck on the local one and visa versa.
I am still giving them 5 stars cos I can now listen to Linn radio but watch out for the stickers!
(At least they hadnt put stickers for another pair on them!)
on 27 February 2015
I ordered these powerline adapters to allow my PSTV to use a wired connection.

I was slightly apprehensive... I live in an old council house, so the wiring is in pretty bad condition. I ordered anyway, as Amazon has a great returns policy.

After a very easy setup (plug in & go), I was ready to start testing.

I currently have 100Mb internet from Virgin Media.

To my surprise, my laptop connected to the adapter upstairs, only suffered a few Mb/S loss! The PSTV now runs like a dream, with barely noticeable input lag.

I am considering buying another "starter kit" to further increase the wired internet reach.

100% recommended.
on 7 October 2013
Bought this product to be able to download "On Demand" etc. from Sky to save having to plug into a separate router at TV. One plug simply plugs into the main router and a wall socket with the second plug going into a socket behind the TV and then to the Sky box. All necessary cables are supplied. I must admit I was a little dubious about whether this would work with the data being transferred along the power cables, but I cannot fault the system. It works superbly. Would recommend to anyone. Only drawback is that you need a spare wall socket at main router and rear of TV to work, but providing you have this, this piece of kit is amazing.
on 25 April 2011
Decided to try a homeplug kit as was having so much trouble with acquiring and retaining a wireless signal for my laptop. Having checked out the reviews for all of the types/makes available I opted for this one. It was so quick and easy to set up and I was connected up with my laptop in 5 minutes. I have only been using the product for about 6 weeks but am very pleased with its performance so far. With my main pc connected directly to my router I usually get a download speed of around 6.7 mbps and when using my wireless connection on my laptop I would get speeds of around 3mbps. However, now I am using the Homeplug system for my laptop I achieve around 4 to 5.5 mbps using various electrical sockets around the house. I have no regrets about purchasing this product and would recommend it to anyone.
on 28 June 2011
I had just moved over to BT Infinity after it arrived in our area. However I noticed that using a HP laptop on wireless as the main computer the internet would cut off at times and speeds would also intermittently slow down.

Did a bit of research on the internet and lots of people had similar issues with wireless access. With the prospect of re-wiring the telephone system out of the question ( the main PC is upstairs in our study) I came across this and decided to give it a go. And I have to say the reviews here are spot on - this piece of kit is fantastic, getting better internet speeds than on wireless ( although not by a huge amount) but best off all - no more internet drop outs.

Setup is so easy that even the word 'Plug And Play' makes it seem complicated -just plug one unit into your router, the other into an AC socket ( avoid using extension cables) and plug in the ethernet cables, turn on your PC and away you go.
on 23 March 2013
Very pleased with these adaptors as they proved to be compatible with my TP Link PA211 adaptors(Of which I have 4).The D Link(£24.99) duo pack are currently significantly cheaper than the TP Link PA211 (£29.56) duo pack but work just as efficiently and pairing with the TP Link PA211 was achieved within seconds.
I use these plugs for various items of equipment including my SKY BOX(Excellent for catch up TV for BBC/ITV/Channel4/Channel5 plus Sky channels that I subscribe to)PS3,Two Ethernet printers.
In general these plugs are a revolutionary piece of equipment as they prevent the need for unsightly lengths of wiring and are also more reliable than a wireless connection.
Recommended.