on 8 February 2012
I bought this phone as my old phone is ancient and worn out and I needed a stop-gap whilst I decided whether or not to splash out on a 'smart phone'

So being realistic and taking into consideration the price I give it 5 stars. Its slightly tempting to give it a four as it certainly doesn't hide the price range and is a bit 'plastic' looking, but come on, throw in the price factor and its a five.

What you get is a basic phone for calls and text plus a radio and little light which will help you find your key-hole should you manage to lose it. Of course a charger is supplied plus an earpiece for use with the radio. Instructions are a bit sparse but with limited functionality and simple menus its a doddle. Buttons are nice and clearly marked so those of us with failing near vision should be OK.

Worked out of the box for me, battery had a factory charge and slipping in my pay as you go sim card and copying my contacts from sim to phone meant I was up and running in about 2 minutes. Signal strength seems good to me, somewhat better than my old admittedly ancient phone and gave me clear calls in my rather poor coverage area which was previously a bit of a problem. Clear display and importantly for me a hands free function which, when receiving a call activates at one extra key press.

Battery life is excellent and I have had the phone almost a week used daily (I did top up the factory charge to full after getting started) and still going strong.

So yes a cheap basic phone but take into account the ace battery life, the radio and the signal strength, worthy of five stars, even allowing for the fact you can buy a phone from Tescos for 13 quid. And what about the smart phone I might buy?. Well on the third day I owned this I dropped it on a tiled floor. After putting the battery back in and replacing the cover which had fallen off all was well. I suspect something 'smart' might well have became very dumb here!
on 28 October 2011
This is a mobile phone for making phone calls and texts. Hurray. Basic and to the point, just what I wanted. Just the basic features that a mobile phone would have given you eight years ago plus a torch, really useful (and a radio I think but being a dinosaur I don't bother with that.) If you want touch screen, camera and fancy apps, pay a lot of money for something else and don't whinge at this one. If you just want to make texts, and calls ocassionally this one does not waste your money.
on 21 September 2011
I ordered this 'phone with a little trepidation as the first one I bought 6 months or so ago proved to be the devil of a job to get the back off. However, this 1616 has a much improved mechanism to remove the back so finger nails stayed intact and tempers were not frayed this time. The 'phone itself is just what I wanted - no bells and whistles. Screen is nice and bright and of a reasonable size. Buttons are not too small. Body of 'phone is nice and slim to slip into a pocket. If you just want something to make calls and send texts, this Nokia could be what you are looking for.
on 14 October 2011
The Nokia 1616 is a cheap and cheerful handset that does what it needs to - phone calls and texts - although it does have some little annoyances, particularly with the keypad and the user interface, which mean it isn't necessarily good value.

The keypad is a one-piece rubber thing and is a little clumsy in use. The navigation key isn't clickable, which makes it trickier to operate with one hand.

The user interface is very minimal, lacking some of the useful refinements of slightly costlier handsets that make them more pleasant to use.

So, while the 1616 is very cheap, in terms of value I think it worth spending the extra £15 or so on something like a Nokia C1-02. You'll get a much better keypad and user interface.
on 25 August 2013
Got this for my lovely Mum when her old mobile would not hold its' charge properly - it was ancient. I needed to get her something simple to use & as close to her old mobile as possible. This little Nokia did not disappoint, she only needs it for occasional phone call & mainly uses it to send texts. She was delighted with her present & as her previous mobile was the same brand it did not take too long for her to get used to. So if you want a very simple & basic mobile this one ticks all the boxes. However if you need a camera & lots of apps don't buy this as it's very basic. Excellent for what was needed for Mum.
on 21 April 2011
Bought this for my sister who wanted a sim free phone to use just for texts & call
She didn't need anything all singing all dancing! She did,however, want a mobile she wouldn't be ashamed to get out when it rang unlike her previous phone.

To all those who sneered at my sis, go get a life folks!

This mobile is just like the paint in that ad, it does just what the blurb says it will so go buy!
on 25 March 2014
I still use it. It has been dropped plenty of times but is built well and still works fine
This is probably the best model of these type. I have tried a few older and newer and can say this is the best.

Geat build quality and robust
Easy to use
Looks good with colour screen
Nice polyphonic tones
Good mic and earpiece
So easy to carry around compared to the large smart phones
Everything you would expect from a Nokia
on 23 February 2012
Mine replaced a very old Nokia whose battery would no longer stay charged. I make about one call per month and didn't need a camera etc, so this is fine. The instructions were a bit brief. When I first tried it I got to the verge of concluding there was something wrong with it as the display kept jumping, until I realised that the upper left and right buttons were not push buttons but rocker switches, and that the big button in the upper middle was a four-way rocker switch - on my old phone they were all just push buttons. The display is clear and I don't need my glasses to read it! It seems quite adequate for what I want.
on 4 November 2011
I recently purchased a Nokia 1616 mobile phone from Amazon and as always the service was superb, the phone was dispatched by one of their subsideries and arrived 48 hours after the order was placed. The phone itself is nice and easy to use with no frills and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Battery life is excellent and the sound quality is first class both on transmit and receive. All in all well worth the money.
on 13 April 2013
Makes and receives calls, has a handy torch and the alam clock wakes me up. In other words, a good basic phone but the keypad is very poorly designed and is often frustrating to use when sending texts. It is hard to describe but the keypad is one solid thing without individual buttons, so often I 'mash' the keypad. I'm getting rid of it and going for a Nokia 100 instead, which has individual keys and is much easier to operate.