Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 13 July 2008
I saw this back in 2005 when it first aired and I was absolutely amazed by it. Tennant was chilling as Brendan Block and nothing at all like 'The Doctor' he is so well-known for portraying. His character is a genuine bad guy and Tennant shows exactly why he is such a good actor. Kate Ashfield is also brilliant and even reduced me to tears at certain points.
It's great to see this finally released on DVD, 3 years after its air date, and it is a must-buy for anyone. One of the best dramas ever shown by ITV.
on 23 November 2011
My expectations were, just another drama. How wrong was i. I thought i would just watch the first part and then the second part later, like you do when they put these drama`s on in two or more episodes. After enjoying the first part, i could not wait to see the second part. David Tenant is brilliant and a real menace in this. Great story and acting from all characters. More twists and turns than a roller coaster. Thoroughly enjoyed this. One of the best drama`s iv`e seen in ages. Glad i took a chance on this one. If you like David Tenant i highly recommend watching Takin` Over The Asylum.
on 24 September 2010
Actually, a while ago, my younger sister recommended this drama to me because I'm such a huge fan of David Tennant,through endless viewings of series two of Doctor Who ( I have near enough the entire series on dvd )but I usually prefer to read the book a drama was adapted from before I watch it on T.V, so I read the book, by Nicci French, and both are excellent! They differ in a number of ways, but you won't be disappointed! Watching Tennant's performance as boyfriend from Hell Brandon Block, made me realise that he is indeed an excellent actor, suited to any role he undertakes. The plot revolves around the havoc he wreaks on one family, and how Miranda, the protagonist,gets a little of her own back at the end. I have a confession to make, I've watched it twice since I bought it! Compelling, gripping,and thrilling from start to finish, 'Secret Smile ' is well worth the money, and an absolute must if you're a David Tennant fan.
on 28 December 2010
I watched this when it was aired on terrestrial TV and absolutely loved it. I have raved about it to my family so much, I just had to purchasse a copy to be viewed over the Christmas period.
BRILLIANT! - Just do not read the blurb on the back of the DVD. It will spoil your enjoyment.
on 23 June 2013
Being a big fan of David Tennat and being very excited that this programme coincided with the announcement that he was to be the new doctor. He did not disappoint, his acting is superb, he is so scary but there is something so interesting about this character at the same time. His relationship with Miranda was so good how he seemed to always be making her squirm. Good ending aswell. Felt so sorry for the Claire Goose character as she seemed to not have much luck with men.
on 27 April 2011
I bought this only because I was curious about Tennant's other work aside from Who. I had seen a clip from YouTube and was delighted to discover it was a thriller. Acting wise, I wasn't disappointed. All the characters are unlikeable and unsympathetic which comes across very well. From the obvious villain Block to the less than innocent Cotton. Tennant is hair raisingly evil and unlikeable, yet dangerously charming.

Unfortunately, that's where it all falls apart. The story is implausible and insulting, especially to those who work in law enforcement. The production values are rock bottom low-- I'm not expecting HD, but this looks like cheap dv. The way they handled the subplot of miranda's brother is also clumsy.

As for the DVD itself, the packaging is acceptable for the price. There are no extras whatsoever. Understandable for such a tele movie but disappointing nonetheless.
on 4 January 2012
I watched this over a week ago and different plot points keep going through my mind - who was the bad guy? I think that I have reached the conclusion that they both were. Brendan made the statement more than once in the film "we are both alike" and I think that is what you have to realize. I'm going to watch it again in six months and see if I reach a different conclusion after letting in simmer for a while. Definitly worth viewing.
on 25 August 2012
Was extrememly pleased by Amazon, once again, with their suberb and speedy delievery service! So full marks. As for Secret smile, the family and i thoroughly enjoyed it. To see David Tennant playing a completely different role from the Doctor was a little difficult but very soon we settled. David plays the role wonderfully and made a very convincing psychopath (Brendon Block), with a very unexpected ending.....All in all very good!
on 16 March 2016
Great drama and the ending was very much a surprise certainly kept you guessing as to what was going to happen David Tennant plays his role with such conviction weaving his way into peoples lives ........ his character very believable.
on 4 June 2016
I absolutely LOVE this film. It takes sociopathic narcissism to such a next level it will make your skin crawl. For all those who have been in abusive and controlling relationships, you will really enjoy watching this. :)