Customer reviews

A Dog Named Christmas [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 January 2011
I bought this film expecting it to be the usual Christmas mix of sentimental slush, but was pleasantly surprised. I think I identified with the family as we have a son with special needs, but the whole thing, whilst it has its moments of sentimentality, doesn't overdo it and it's all handled well. The flashbacks which indicate that the father's resistance to having a dog is somewhere in his past are well done, and I thought the actor portraying the son with learning difficulties was very good. All in all, a great family film. I even got the book out of the library to read it afterwards!
on 29 December 2010
This film absolutely made my Christmas for me.
After watching Marley and Me last Chrismas Eve,and sobbing for hours after the film had finished I was rather wary of another golden labrador!
The tears I cried for Christmas and his family,however,were tears of happiness and joy.
From the very start of the film,you knew how it was going to end and it pulled on every heartstring through the 90 minutes of the film before reaching its finale.
A wonderful family film reflecting the true meaning of Christmas: love and giving.
I would recommend this film very highly for all the family.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 March 2011
I firstly ordered the book, not realising it was a novel, so when it arrived I was a bit unsure. However all that dissappeared as soon as I started to read it.
It is a BRILLIANT story. Then when I saw it was also on DVD I had to get it.
It is tender, heartwarming and inspirational. If only everyone was like this towards dogs. I loved it and would thoroughly recommend it as good family viewing. It also shows up how compassionate special needs children can be and likewise how they can be helped by the love of a dog. In addition it brings home that there are many dogs in shelters and how, with a little thought and effort on behalf of a lot of familys, these dogs can make great pets and enrich family life. A pet is a lot of work but the rewards make it all worth while and it is great for children to grow up and learn to care for a pet. It is a lovely DVD to have in your collection and will also make a great stocking filler gift at Christmas time too
on 13 June 2015
Saddest Christmas film ever. Sadder than Prancer.
on 20 September 2011
A group of us watched this together and loved every minute of it. A perfect story with a perfect ending. Heartwarming, yes, a few tears were shed, but the ending made up for it. What better movie to watch on Christmas day than this. Will remind us what we owe to our furry friends. They deserve the best for what they give us. If bonded with properly owning a dog is a life changing experience. Many of us own a dog but do not interact with it sufficiently and do not pay attention to the benefits it can bring into your life. So I have discovered. If I had my way and the money to do it, I would rescue every unwanted dog and give it the ultimate love and care a dog deserves.

We need to watch many more movies on dogs and read up a lot more on the benefits of dog ownership. (And cats). We now have two stray cats on our premises who are fed three times a day. One was gently caught and "fixed" by the vet. This was to prevent her having kittens on our premises. Imagine our surprise when the vet told us that our cat was a "He" and had been neutered.

In Cape Town a wonderful group of people collect stray cats, take them to the shelter and fix them. They are released back to where they were captured, to help with the problem of stray cats who suffer trauma and abuse at the hands of humans. With the link between animal cruelty and violence now a proven fact, please reader's can we put more time and effort into protecting, rescuing and caring for all animals on this planet. Our survival depends on animals, not vice versa. Thanks for reading.
on 19 January 2011
i thought this film was going to be the run of the mill cheesy film but it was really touching and if you have a dog yourself you will be giving it a big cuddle after watching this film
on 18 January 2011
I simply adore Golden Retrievers and dog stories, so this film was right up my alley. I watched it several times, and I enjoyed it each time.
on 24 November 2013
This is a really good movie. I watched it with my children of 3, 8 and 9 year old.

It is all about a special needs boy of 20 years old, who loves animals. He wanted to adopt a dog for Christmas.
His mother find it a good idea, but his dad doesn't. He has had some good memories of his dogs, but he had bad memories about loosing the dog. That is the reason that none of his children have had a dog. Through the whole movie are coming parts about the father's past. The parts about the war are not suitable for small children, even for myself it was scary.
But still I love the movie and everyone have to watch him this Christmas!
I also loved that the dog is a real dog who barks and not a talking real dog like in some other movies.
on 30 December 2011
A truly heartwarming Christmas film that is well worth watching. I thought it might be a bit too sentimental, but it wasn't. Would definitely recommend for a cold winter's day during the Christmas period.
on 15 December 2011
Bought this last year wasnt expecting much but wow was i suprised great christmas film for all the family well worth watching on a cold december night with the whole family