Customer reviews

on 4 September 2014
I have never use one of these before but I am doing a lot of clothes sewing at the moment and I thought it might be useful. I am delighted to say I was right. It is not the strongest bit of kit I have ever come across but it is easy to use and makes marking fabric really easy - I had to mark a couple of darts and I found it really helped that process and I have used it to mark hemlines and buttonholes too. I have not idea what the little 'u' shaped swivelly things at the end are for and I would welcome any insight that other users might have. I find the gap in the middle is excellent for the tailors chalk that I have in stock and I would imagine it would also be useful for one of those marking pens too.
I have not had to use the pointy end to get a crisp edge on an item yet and I am a bit doubtful that it would be strong enough to use with tough or heavy fabric but time will tell.

Update
I've found a use for the swivel things at the end of the tool - I have used them to ensure a reasonable space between the fabric and the button when I am putting buttons on blouses, shirts etc., I have no idea if this is the intended use for this bit of the tool. I just slipped it between the fabric and the button after making the first pass of the thread and I had a neat gap which meant my clothes have a bit of ease when fastening the button - particularly helpful when I fit a smaller rear button.
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2015
Great little tool for forming crisp points on collars and pockets and also US ful when making bags. The other end of the tool has slots for easily sewing buttons with shanks onto garments and craft projects.
It arrived really quickly and it is strong plastic with no rough edges. There is a measuring guide of 11 cms on one edge and imperial measurements of 3 inches on the other edge, with quarter inch makings.
on 10 November 2016
this is a seriously good little tool. I had one before but this one is better as it comes in inches and cms. I had no idea what the horseshoe bit was at the end or the little holes in the red slide meant so I You Tube a tutorial and my goodness, this little item can do so much. It really is a useful sewing aid so I highly recommend it
on 23 May 2014
This arrived promptly and just about works as described. I found it to be very flimsy and quite poor quality. It is a very useful gadget but I would have liked a stronger design.
on 6 June 2015
Used one at a workshop held at the Thrifty Stitcher - sped my sewing up loads. Very impressed on the day - surprised at other reviews describing this as flimsy. Mind you - have only used this as a gauge and not as a point turner. As a gauge though, it is brilliant - really cheap and really useful.
on 29 July 2016
This well conceived little gadget is definitely one to have in your sewing box. My only reservation concerns its lack robustness. The main spar is somewhat flimsy. It's either mild steel or aluminium but should be made from a decent grade of stainless steel. Still, until the day it bends or breaks, it remains very useful.
on 11 August 2017
I've had a couple of cardboard sewing gauges, but they are quite bent and the bar is difficult to move accurately. This product is just what I needed. It is thin enough to manipulate easily, but holds its place well, the bar is quite firm and stays in place. Love it and I'll probably buy another one.
on 26 May 2013
This is great for measuring the buttons or button holes but would not use it as a point turner as it is too sharp and would rip material otherwise fine
on 4 June 2016
Theis Hemlikne sewing and button guage is something every sewing enthusiast should have in their sewing basket and keep close at hand. It is small, keenly priced and very accurate and easy to use. Brilliant
on 3 June 2014
I'm a seamstress and am constantly using my seam gauge. I find the slider very useful, and makes it a much quicker job when measuring width of seams etc.