on 6 May 2009
I was moved to tears when I first saw this film. And that never happens. Telling the (mostly true)story of how some brave young free Czechs (incl. Anthony Andrews (of Danger UXB fame), Timothy Bottoms, Martin Shaw etc) parachuted into occupied Czechoslovakia to assassinate the evil nazi tyrant Heydrich in 1942. Without giving the plot away, the ending was the part that moved me to tears (although, historically, in reality it didn't happen quite like that).

The film is movingly shot and you feel real compassion for the characters (bar one or two). It makes you really feel proud and grateful for the hard fought freedom we have today, due to the bravery of others who gave their everything during the war. The action scenes are really great. One of the most moving parts is the haunting synthesizer music, giving this a sad and melancholic feeling to the film.

This film is unmissable and if you can track it down, even on original VHS, it is well worth it: once watched you will never forget it. It moved me to visit Prague in 2002 to see the church where it all happened - the bullet holes are all still there: again well worth the visit (again I was moved to tears - and at Lidice too!)

Now for the DVD: believe it or not, the only available version is a naff Korean version! It looks like a pirate copy recorded off a 6th hand video tape. Annoyingly, in the scenes spoken in German, there are no English subtitles. There are no extras.

WARNER BROTHERS: WHY HAVE YOU NOT RELEASED THIS ON DVD WITH PLENTY OF EXTRAS???? From your point of view you are missing out 1000's of sales. From the viewers point of view, we are missing out on a great film.

And incidentally people, there's no point writing reviews saying 'when will/I can't wait for it to be released properly' if you don't contact Warner Bros customer services and ask them to release it on dvd. I did and they emailed to say they had taken note: they'll take more note if more people email them!
on 20 October 2014
Quality of copy very poor
on 11 January 2017
A brilliant film about a relatively unknown piece of history. The ending was filmed in the actual crypt of the church in Prague (St Cyril & Methodius) where there is now a small museum and visitors are allowed into the crypt itself which is a memorial to the men who died. It is a very emotional experience.
on 6 May 2017
the dvd will not connect on my player all my other DVDs work but not this one
I am very sad that i cannot see such a wonderful film at home
I cannot return the dvd as i do not own a printer
you can either send a copy that works or return the payment
into my account .I cannot get the instructions for returning it please advice what to do
on 15 November 2016
Great Film,
on 15 April 2017
Love this film so difficult to get hold of
on 5 October 2016
This is one of my favourite films. However the quality of this dvd is appalling. I stopped watching during the opening sequences, it was that bad.
on 30 April 2017
Interesting authentic film with many details from the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich. Hitlers Hangman.and the right hand to Himmler
on 21 April 2017
Excellent.
on 20 April 2017
A great film, true story, devastating history.