Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.85

on 11 June 2017
I thought this was pretty good, very topical and Old Earth sounds quite a lot where we are already headed; are we in the start of the Chaos Years? We squander what we have and consume with not much regard to the consequences, pretty much like Old Earth. Lots of lessons here.
on 20 July 1998
I was on my way to Switzerland in the airport and found myself caught with nothing to read. I went into a nearby book store looked in science fiction and found this as the only book. It didn't look like a crowd pleaser, no #1 bestseller or anything, but I bought it anyways. On the plane I was quickly wrapped up in one of the most entertaining books I had ever read, after page 80 or so I couldn't stop, I just had to go on, what was going to happen, how come the cybs were so stupid, why didn't the demi's kick their butts, I had all these questions pounding my brain when I put it down that I had to pick it back up, if you are looking to be thoroughly entertained, buy this book. The only downside to it are some of the beliefs, they are extremest, true, but in a time and place of this sort maybe extremism is need. I don't know, but the book captured my attention and towords the last pages I was filled with emotion. I thouroughly enjoyed this book and encourage anyone th! at has the chance, to read it.
on 2 October 1998
The true litmus test is whether a book is remembered or forgotten, and this book is not easily forgotten. I read this over 5 months ago, and I still find myself mulling over the demi ideology. I love the idea that if you want to have power in society, you must pay society for the privilege.
on 11 December 2009
I first read this book when it was initialy published, after moving house I lost it, it was only after spending a day surfing the net (should have been working lol) that I saw it. It's such a joy to rediscover a book like this. It's well written and has just the right amount of morality to be enjoyed. One of my favorite books of all time.
on 23 October 2012
* you buy it several times, in different formats,
* you lend copies out insisting people read it
* tell strangers on the internet that this book is thought provoking and addictive
* you make that 'eeep' happy noise when you realise it's available for kindle and even though you have at least 4 paperback copies you buy it.
on 5 April 1998
In this novel, Modesitt has managed to convey the feeling that, if we would just be honest with ourselves about our very human motivations and faults, we could have a society that works for the benefit of the overwhelming majority of its citizens. While I don't agree with all the premises of the political situation in the novel, I found myself agreeing with him that all power, political , military, or otherwise, should have a price attached. Beyond the philisophical implications, it's an excellent book. Read it, and come to your own conclusions about whether Modesitt's right or wrong.
on 25 July 1999
1st things first..... I found this book hard to read, at times almost painfully slow because if you have read any Moddesitt you will know he loves his details.... this book has them all in more detail, but by about half way throu I was well and truely hooked..... this is a book that makes you think about the world we live in and the political systems we use... It shows a different world one wrecked by us and offers a solution... ALL politicians should be made to read this and then discuss it the world over...
on 22 October 2013
super book new world but long term readers are always happy to visit another part of his universe a good read anyway
on 22 April 2014
This book delivers a thought provoking view point wrapped up in a fantastic story. It is difficult to put down
on 12 August 2016
My first by this author......much much better than I anticipated! Great prose, engaging story, recommended!