on 3 March 2011
A gripping narrative with powerful character development - the dysfunctional female cop Jane Perry re-lives her own painful childhood abuse whilst trying and failing to protect her young charge. The gender politics reminded me of Larsson. Well worth a read!
on 6 March 2011
great read
downloaded on whim - but fast became a compelling read - with great texture and characterisation
have since bought 'redemption' - the follow on novel (also becoming an addictive read), and pre ordered the next one
on 2 March 2011
When I started this book I was not thrilled by the awful personality of the female cop - Jane Perry - however, during the story it was understandable that behaved as she did because of her childhood.

The story was gripping and part of me didn't want to read on as it was rather unsettling - but the other part was desperate to follow the story. I liked the fact that Jane Perry did seem to come to terms with her demons by the end of the book, and I grew to like her.

I am now checking out the second book in the series.

I really enjoyed the book.
on 29 April 2011
Brilliant. I couldn't put it down. Unusually for me I actually didn't realise whodunnit until almost the last chapter. Don't know how Laurel Dewey can follow up.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2011
I quite enjoyed this book - it was well written and had an ok story-line. Would read another book in this series as suitable fodder for holiday reading material.
on 22 December 2014
Didn't read the full book as it was painful on the brain. Some books are made for the bargain bin and this is one of them, or just the bin
on 10 July 2014
I do not normally read crime novels but I found this one really absorbing. I will certainly be reading her other novels
on 7 March 2011
Excellent reading, I was gripped from start to finish. Great plot and story line, just a pity Jane never found love!
on 14 March 2011
I have to say I really loved this book. I just couldn't put it down! I loved the acknowledgement of the darkness that can be found in people but also the light. The lives of the characters and the way people treat each other was so realistic; I've witnessed and heard so much. Jane Perry, and Emily, were characters I couldn't help but get attached. I won't say when or what part but I did cry at a point! The book brings all sorts of emotions forth and I felt it was very well written, with twists and turns, reality and paranormal. The boundaries were crossed and I loved it very much. A brutal and brilliant book!
on 16 March 2011
To be honest, I downloaded this simply because it was free but the marketing option worked. I shall be buying more of the author's series.

An exciting story, competently written and enough side issues to make it complex. Wanted to keep reading, needed to know the conclusion and while it's not "fine" literature it works.

Definitely recommend to anyone who likes thrillers with just a little paranormal edge without too much horror.

Jane the detective is a definite runner. Thank you Laurel!