Format: DVD|Change

on 7 January 2013
I knew nothing of 'Fear Island' whatsoever and in the context of my low expections really rather liked it!

The strongest element of the film is undoubtedly the plot - this might sound woolly, but unlike many teen slasher type films 'Fear Island' has a very good storyline. The film begins at the end then plays out as one of the female victims attempts to recall the detail of her friends island ordeal. This in itself is 'a little different'.

It's also admirable that the SFX aren't over the top and silly; again the film stays true to the storyline and doesn't pad things out with over the top sex or gore.

The audience is kept guessing throughout - in short, we have to work out who the killer is and what his/her motives were. I know, I know, even this sounds woolly, but believe me there are at least two clever twists that take it from average to distinctly good!

If you approach 'Fear Island' to pick holes in it you'll end up with a crocheted blanket of disappointment - okay so the police officer is annoying, the acting a little wooden and some of the decisons of the troubled teens utterly stupid; but I will defend this film to the hilt as one that you can stick on, relax and be well-entertained by.

Have no Fear!

AJM
on 26 January 2015
I thought this was a decent enough little thriller with a solid central mystery. It doesn't do anything radically original but does what it does well enough to warrant a viewing.

The set up is pretty familiar for this sort of thing - a group of young, good looking, horny youngsters escape to a cabin on a small island for sun sea and sex. This rarely goes well and the title of the film suggest this will be no different - before long our hot young things are being stalked by an unknown killer.

There's actually relatively little on screen bloodshed as things move along and it's not especially scary - it's more of a whodunit thriller rather than an out and out horror I'd say. The air of mystery holds up pretty well and is enhanced by the framing device for the film which shows us one of the central characters relating the story of what happened on the island to a doctor and a detective. Due to memory lapses though they're not the most reliable of narrators and there's some deliberate misdirection to keep you guessing.

You may see the end coming but such is life, I still think it's quite well told. The actings a bit up and down, Aaron Ashmore is as dependable as ever and Haylie Duff (older sister of Hilary) is probably the other most notable cast member. So overall, I think this is worth a crack (especially as it's on Amazon Prime at time of writing).
on 25 June 2010
A really cool thriller, sort of Paradise Lost meets Dead Calm. Has enough twists and gruesome turns to keep you guessing, a few great shocks and a very easy on the eye cast!
on 12 June 2016
*Warning contains spoiler*

This isn't really a horror at all, more of a crime thriller. The only really surprising thing that happened is the girl who we were convinced all throughtout the movie turned out not to be the Miss Goody two-shoes we thought she was in the end. Would have given it two stars if it hadn't been for the last five minutes of the movie.
My Thoughts: I didn't expect a whole lot when I seen the premise for this film. Honestly, the premise reads like this is an average teen slasher but it actually is more of a thriller than anything else, and while the acting admittedly isn't on par, Haylie Duff does a decent enough job here without being totally terrible (much better than her horrendous performance in "Pretty Little Devils" anyway). Surprising role here from Lucy Hale of "Privileged" fame, although her performance as a doe-eyed fifteen year old wanna-be seductress was a little bewildering. Not much gore here, but a good twisted plotline, somewhat predictable but the story was actually quite gripping. Don't expect something in the lines of "Shutter Island" with this, but at the same time, do be prepared for a few red herrings and a good twist or two.

The Plot: A young woman with memory loss is arrested and kept in custody by the police after six murders have taken place on secluded private Island. A sympathetic psychiatrist and a jaded and hostile detective must try to make sense of the muddled story coming from confused and traumatized Jenna to uncover the truth about who committed the murders. As time goes on, Jenna's story begins to pour forth in flashbacks as she remembers the trip to her friend Tyler's Island that would prove to be the final trip for six.
on 24 August 2010
Ive got to admit I wasnt expecting much, another mindless teen slasher movie (OK I admit Im a fan of slashers). Well this really did impress me.

This was more of a thriller, its very similar to the amazing Harper's Island TV mini series and keeps you guessing as to the killer right to the end (Nearly the end).

Anyway, a very good film.
on 30 January 2012
As it says on the front cover , if you enjoyed Shutter Island and Perfect Getaway, which I did, then you'll love this film to. Spot on , in my opinion. Plenty of twists and turns in the last half hour. Really enjoyed it.Weel worth £3. Don't be put off by the poorer reviews. I wasn't and I'm glad I took that view.
on 25 September 2010
I bought this film based on the other high rated reviews here. What a disappointment. The film is quite slow and the acting was bad. It lacked a strong underlying story. I was bored by about an hour so switched the film off.
on 12 September 2013
This film is entertaining the acting in the film is ok there
is some shocks and a couple of bits that made me jump.
But the ending is really good as there is a great twist which
I didn't expect and it had me guessing right to the end of the film
who the killer was.
I would recommended this film.
on 27 February 2015
More fun, tension and misleading information than out and out horror, but still good entertainment. I never guess the ending, I don't really try, but this didn't surprise me. Clues were all the way through. I liked it though.