Customer reviews

on 22 May 2016
The 2nd book I have read in this series of books, I have one more to read, It wasn't one of the better books I have read. It's readable but really didn't grip me.
I struggled to get into it and found it a little repetitive.
I will give the next one a try. And hopefully it will be a little better.

I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in return for my honest opinion.
on 3 July 2015
If it was possible to write a review with minus stars I would have done for this book. Thank goodness it was free because the thought of paying good money out would have made me weep. I am sure the author wrote the story with a particular reader in mind but it isn't me. A senior detective whose every waking thought is on sex rather than work just didn't ring true. If you get this for free then good luck perhaps you will enjoy it. If you pay for it then I hope you enjoy it.
on 5 April 2002
A Detective in Love is the sixth in the series featuring a detective afflicted by a particular human weakness which threatens their work and even their whole future. This time as the title suggests, an unexpected bolt-from-the-blue, tossed down nonchalantly by Eros, the god of love, is the root of the problem.
Disquieting and sometimes disturbing influences permeate the story, since to a greater or lesser degree, the thoughts, words and actions of just about everyone in it are influenced by the sex-drive. Even the murder weapon is a parody of Cupid's dart.
Initially, it was distracting to have Eros & Aphrodite interfering with the development of the mystery, then as the story unfolded, the mystery started getting in the way of Eros & Aphrodite, but eventually, everything slotted into its rightful place and made sense.
All the right ingredients are present - the intense love/hate emotions aroused by world-famous personalities, the highly charged attraction of opposites, the essentially down-to-earth police procedures required when dealing with a murder enquiry. As always, HRFK's characters are depicted with unerring accuracy, especially when the Hard Detective struggles to remain true to her name.
But as in all traditional detective stories, the murderer is eventually tracked down. There was even a moment near the end when the awful suspicion dawned that maybe someone very close to the Hard Detective might, just might be the killer.....but read it and find out for yourself.
If you expect a straightforward detective tale you will be disappointed. If you want something in which the layers of the story are gradually stripped away to reveal the final inescapable truths concealed at its heart, then this is for you.
Another tour de force for this accomplished author and most definitely a MUST READ.
on 25 September 2015
This book must have been self published. This very amateur book would never have got past any type of editor. I read to the end in the hope it would improve, it didn't.
on 25 July 2015
I have to agree with the previous reviewer, this book is utter rubbish! I was determined to finish it in the hope it would improve but wish I hadn't wasted my time. The only redeeming feature is that it was free when I got it!
on 11 August 2015
bit confusing, the solving of a murder was all a bit hit and missed overshadowed by a badly written romance