Customer reviews

Clambake
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2017
I bought this to fill a gap (of a single missing track) and, although it's not quite the worst Elvis soundtrack album, it's not that great. The really decent tracks (Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, You Don't Know Me) are available on lots of other albums.

Basically - if you're new to Elvis - make sure you have a listen to the tracks, to avoid disappointment. Or accept that paying £5.99 for the MP3 version is probably worth it, for a couple of decent songs. But it's not the album I'd start someone off with.
on 3 April 2013
I always loved this film as a staple of summer holiday viewing as a nipper and I am pleased to say, I still find it entertaining and fun after all these years. It was, and is, one of my favourite (if not my very favourite) Elvis films (although I know not a favourite of the critics !).The soundtrack is also great fun.
"Guitar Man" is a quality tune and "Who Needs Money ?" is a light hearted knock about,whilst "Big Boss Man" is just ideal and "Confidence" has a ring of "High Hopes" about it. The only song I really don't think is up to par is "Clambake" itself (seems a bit disjointed to me).
Hands up, I love the 60s Elvis as much as 50s or 70s Elvis and although this soundtrack (and film) might be seen by some as one of his weaker efforts, I would disagree. But then I am a bit biased.
4 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2014
personally i like the elvis Movie soundtracks and theyve repackaged this on its own and not as a part of a "double soundtrack" cd.I was very surprised as the sound is sharper and I like the fact the tracks are in slightly different order i think to the original LP release.Its starts with "Guitar Man",which is always a good start,then we get onto the movie songs that are just fun.Whatever you think of Elvis,the movies were made as a fun watch and not"Bond!",movies.I was very pleased with this and the bonus tracks are back and i prefer this to those horrible double feature albums.nice music...
3 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2011
Althpugh people think that the movie was not a winner, I can say the soundtrack is a great success. Improved sound and a few killer songs make it more desirable. BUY IT. !!!
8 people found this helpful
on 14 September 2014
fab
3 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2016
Good cd as always Elvis, not his best though
on 5 November 2014
Not one of his best, but still ok
on 19 April 2017
Clambake (1967) along with Harum Scarum (1965) are very maligned Elvis soundtracks but unjustifiably in my opinion. I have this soundtrack as part of a soundtrack box set but originally purchased it on vinyl in the 1980s. The album is now iconic and rightly so. It is always unfair to judge a soundtrack by the same standards as a regular studio album as many of the songs in a film are recorded as situational music to move the plot along rather than intended for release as potential hit singles and certainly Elvis films in the mid to late 60s, ie 1963-1969 were no worse than any other similar films of that period and commercially did very well, even the later ones. The album reached a respectable number 39 in the UK charts and number 40 in the US album charts. It featured no less than 5 bonus songs recorded in 1967 including the incredible Guitar Man and Big Boss Man, 2 of his finest songs from 1967. Guitar Man peaked at number 19 in the UK singles chart and 38 in the US singles chart. Big Boss Man reached number 38 in the USA. It is notable that Guitar Man actually opens the album, not Clambake! In a sense this should be the Guitar Man album! Clambake is a fine up tempo rousing film rocker. Interestingly the version of You Don't Know Me is not the one recorded for the film in February 1967 but a later recording from September of that year and a much stronger version of the song than the weaker version which appears in the film. This helps to strengthen the album in my opinion. The album version was also released as a single in 1967 reaching number 44 in the USA. Not written for the film it was a pop hit in the mid 1950s and early 1960s for various artists. Elvis recorded it and captured it perfectly in the album version. One of the bonus songs How Can You Lose What You Never Had was recorded for the film but not included. Singing Tee and Just Call Me Lonesome are 2 of the finest country performances by Elvis of any part of his career. Confidence is a great song and has the touch of the Frank Sinatras about it! If you forget that it is a film soundtrack then you begin to appreciate its undeniable artistic merit, beefed up by the bonus songs and the rerecording of You Don't Know Me.
on 25 February 2015
Although I Am Not A Big Fan Of The Film ...It"s O.K. But That"s About All , Thankfully The Soundtrack Album Is A Little Better, With The Help Of The 5 Bonus Tracks That Were Added To Make Up A Full L.P ,
Just As Well Because The Album Has Some Great Songs From Elvis ...Such As , GUITAR MAN, BIG BOSS MAN, YOU DON"T KNOW ME, THE GIRL I NEVER LOVED . Which Saved The Movie From Being A Huge Let Down, The Track HOW CAN YOU LOSE,WHAT YOU NEVER HAD
Was Originally Written For The Movie But Was Eventually Cut From The Final Edit But Thankfully It Was Included On The Album.
CLAMBAKE May Not Be Everyone"s Cup Of Tea But I Think It Does Merit A Soundtrack Release For The Above Songs That I Have Mentioned And I Think You Should Buy This New 180 GRAM VINYL For Those Songs Alone ....And The Rest Just May Grow On You
Go On Give It A Try....What You Got To Lose ( sorry i just could not resist that one)
One person found this helpful