Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 April 2013
This is an album for Nina fans that already have the original albums and best of compilations. Got those already? Looking for live recordings of some of her great songs? Then try this album. Some of the live recordings are great, very few are better than the studio versions or "best of" versions.

I bought this as a gift for someone who doesn't have any Nina albums, and would not have bought it had I known that the vast majority of songs are live recordings.
Nina Simone was one of the most talented women of the twentieth century. Even these three CDs (45 tracks) cannot cover all that is essential. So buy this - AND - 'The Very Best of Nina Simone'. The tracks here are a mixture of studio and live concert recordings. There is an amazing range to her versatility including, folk and protest, jazz and blues, opera and cabaret, pop and classics, spiritual and gospel and there is the command that she has over the piano including improvisation and the influence of Bach. She is stunningly real in an age that approved of the false and trivial. When she sang 'Don't Smoke in bed', it had real significance. There is a tremendous honesty, particularly when approaching issues around race and around feminism. On these performances there are great moments for string bass, electric bass, harmonica, saxophone, brass chorus, drums, strings, synthesiser and many others. To understand the world of the middle to late 20th century these are essential and fine documents and they also have continuing significance.
on 3 September 2012
OK, I know reviews which only moan about what isn't included are a pain, but just hear me out first.

I wanted a recording of the peerless song Sinnerman by this great woman. So, I typed "Nina Simone Simmerman" into the search box. This looked like easily the best value: 'Crikey' I thought, '3 CDs for under a tenner, that's a no-brainer'. Ah, hubris, eh? You'll have worked out how this morality tale ends: when it arrived, no Sinnerman. Sure, what's here is good stuff, but I'm annoyed that it comes up when people search for a song which isn't included. On the naughty step, Amazon.
on 1 July 2015
I just saw a documentary on Nina Simone on Netflix two weeks ago. And after listening to her wanted to find out more. So came on Amazon to see if I could purchase some of her CDs. I really have not regretted it. She is that good, phew! And the fact that my daughter has been learning to play piano for the past 2 years encouraged me more to discover what NINA SIMONE is about.
Regarding the collection, I think I like best CD1 and CD3. It is not to say that CD2 is bad, it is just not that good like the others, that is all (the opinion is subjective). Other than that, I recommend buying this collection. If you want something to chill out, that is the one.
on 14 March 2012
well put together cd plenty of various songs on it showing the different style of singing of nina simone i would recomend this cd
on 2 May 2012
Nina always makes me blow some steam away.I really liked the box oriented presentation and the quick dispatch.Satisfied 100%.Price great
on 2 August 2013
i bought this CD set as i loved her "my baby just cares for me" and "aint got no...i got life" i have played the whole 3 CD set once and was extremely disappointed that none of the other songs did anything for me; i expect you really have to be a Nina Simone fan to keep on playing these songs; far too dark moody political all the way through for my liking and now put it out of my normal playing cd selection.
on 9 March 2013
Really enjoy this although it is missing some of my favourites such as Mr. Bo Jangles but it did introduce me to some others that I hadn't heard before such as "The Other Woman".
on 13 July 2011
Nina Simone is an amazing artist with a voice that carries you away. This compilation brings the best of her music together so that encapsulates the wide range of music that she was able to produce.
on 11 December 2012
cd fantastic sit for age'es chiling out,one cansay quility of songs brill ,would recomend it to any one who needs to chill