Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

on 10 March 2012
From the perspective of the time in which it was written Kim gave a good insight into life in Indian in the days of the British occupation. The illustrations were well done and gave you an idea of how the people/ethnicity/dress were all different in various parts of the country. It was quite compelling once you started reading. As I had a kindle download I found it very easy to get explanations of the various words and phrases which had been written in the vernacular.
on 18 February 2016
I bought this book having read the excellent Mary Russell Mystery 'The Game' by Laurie R. King. I was more than a little dazzled by all the editions that are available but finally plumped for this version because of the illustrations by J. Lockwood Kipling. However, upon starting to read the book it didn't make sense from the very beginning because pages are missing! Well, I've assumed pages are missing, it's impossible to verify because the Kindle will only tell me the 'location' (whatever that means), 'time left in chapter' or 'time left in book'. I was left utterly frustrated at having bought a useless book. It only cost 99p but that's not the point - I expect to purchase something that's actually readable.
on 11 January 2013
Since childhood Kipling has been a firm favourite of mine. Re reading this tale confirmed my appreciation of the author. To my mind a true evocation of colonial India, warts and all. The landscape beautifully drawn, characters you care about and a strong plot line. Plus the superb artwork of Kipling's father. I may be truly dubbed a classics
on 8 August 2012
My favourite book. A joy to read from start to finish. It presents and delivers a taste of India through Kim's travails and a selection of excellently depicted charactors. Perhaps Kipling may seem out of vogue with a more modern audience , however, quality always rises to the top, so this is a must for a boys own adventure, no matter what era.
on 26 March 2013
A story which I have known and loved since childhood and it was a real pleasure to read it again, after many years. The illustrations are well drawn and appropriate to the period. One thet I will certainly return to, in the future.
on 17 January 2012
Just to support remarks by previous reviewers about the quality of this kindle version. It's a joy to read. Elegant formatting and very very few errors (I've only discovered a handful. They all relate to hyphenation and it's quite possible that they are actually faithful reproductions of the original - so maybe not errors at all). The glossary is a huge bonus and exceptionally easy to access. Worth evey penny.
on 3 December 2013
found it very hard going but surely clever it its own way if you are interested in Indian culture. no other comments to make. please don't ask us to witter on in any more detail than is necessary
on 9 November 2012
Amazing how nothing changes. Conflict over Afghanistan continues today. But what a fine portrait of the people, customs, climate and scenery of India.
on 3 May 2016
Absolutely brilliant book. I first read it over 55 years ago and I still love it. I got it on Kindle to make sure I always have a copy with me. If you haven't read, start today.
on 10 May 2013
A wonderful story told with such knowledge and understanding. I would recommend it to all generations even though it is of a past empire.