Customer reviews

on 11 April 2015
This album is somewhat disappointing after "Shadow Of The Moon" and "Under A Violet Moon". It somewhat lacks with far fewer catchy tunes on here.
on 7 March 2017
Great group , wonderful songs.
on 21 August 2002
A Fantastic ride of music genius from Blackmore and Candice Night.from the magical " Home Again", so catchy you can't help but sing along to the wonderful chorus, to " All Because Of You "a wonderful ballad that would grace any Music chart , this is an ablbum of Blackmore at his best , with the old white stratocaster come out of the cobwebs more than his previous 2 albums.A must for any music lover Blackmore fans in particular.
on 15 September 2001
Ritchie Blackmore - original guitar hero with Deep Purple and Rainbow. He gave it all up and decided to try something different. In what is probably the biggest turn around of style and a big gamble, he formed Blackmore's Night with the angelic voiced Candice Night. The first album still rates as one of the best albums ever released and possibly the greatest shock from an established musician. The second whilst enjoyable didn't quite hit the same mark. Now we have Fires at Midnight... wow!! Blackmores Night have managed to fuse the Renaissance themes from the first two albums with just a small enough amount of the early Rainbow style and have come up with a magnificent masterpiece of an album. Ballads and anthems, acooustic and electric, all in one. On top of which is a pure pop single (All Because Of You) to rival the likes of Britney, Steps and Atomic Kitten... if they ever dared release it!! The title track is the best anthem since Rainbow's Stargazer, 'I Still Remember You' one of the finest ballads ever. Blackmore is back, and there is no one else anywhere near him for this type of talent and music. Listen without predjudice - Buy it and be amazed.
on 21 July 2001
This, the third Blackmore's Night album sees the band going from strength to strength. Those that bought the last two albums should snap this up. Those who are new to the band - buy this album you will not regret it. From the intricate guitar solo in the title track to the sublime acoustic guitar in tracks such as Praetorius this is Blackmore at his finest. The vocals are handled by Candice Night - she just keeps getting better. A good illustration of her vocal talents can be heard on Written in the Stars. There is not a bad track on the album and at 18 tracks on the limited edition the album represents excellent value for money.
on 4 February 2002
Ritchie has never been afraid of naff, which is perhaps just as well, considering the gaucherie of Candice's lyrics, but all the same I can't help loving this album. From the first marvellous note Candice produces - she gets better with each album - this record has me by the throat. And I'm not exactly sure why, which is a little embarrassing. OK, Ritchie plays like a god and Candice has a voice I could listen to forever, some of the songs stand out as particularly well-made (I'm thinking here of The Hanging Tree and The Times They Are A-Changing - Bob Dylan's I know, but he's never as good as when someone else is doing his stuff), but the lyrics really are utterly cringe-worthy. Here the special prize goes the The Crowning of the King, which always makes me think of Monty Python ("King? I don't recall voting for any king! I thought we were an autonomous collective!). Perhaps it's the fact that I'm a Renaissance scholar which makes the holes in Blackmore's Night's take on the Renaissance so very obvious to me.
But, but, but... I have played this lord knows how many times since buying it, and still I'm not tired of it at all. I hope they carry on in the same vein for some time to come, because clearly it works. Well done.
on 4 October 2001
This is another excellent album by Blackmore's Night. The acoustics are absolutely brilliant and the voice of Candice is Angelical - if not magical. Having been a fan of Blacmore nearly all my life, I quickly 'adjusted' to this kind of music. Theis album has a few harder sounding songs (like Fires at Midnight) with RB using his strings beautifully. Candice helps, playing, amongst other things, electronic bagpipes. How does RB always manage to spot such talented people??? An excellent buy is the limited edition with a video incorporated. I'ts been loved by all those who heard the CD so far.
John Micallef
on 12 October 2001
I'm biased. I've loved this guy's guitar playing for 30 years, through Deep Purple and Rainbow, and it came as no surprise that the Man In Black didn't simply return to his roots but went back even further, when he was obviously sprinkled with some magic star dust at birth (gushing, isn't it!). Magic it is, though. For lovers of good tunes, there are plenty of beautiful melodies; for admiring guitar techies, there are some awesome displays of both acoustic and electric playing (the electric lead solo on the title track is a jaw dropper). Candice's vocals are great but I must also mention Chris Devine, the violinist, who is superb (I saw the band recently and all the musicians were excellent - Blackmore and Devine were fantastic). Lets face it. Rock music nowadays is all about visuals, with little attention given to the actual music. Have some of this. Proper music, played properly.
on 1 April 2009
Blackmore's Night's first two albums were very strong, and so it isn't a huge surprise that their third album doesn't quite measure up. For those who are fans of their sound, there is still a lot here to enjoy, especially in the first half of the album. The group has its own special blend of Celtic and modern sounds and acoustic and electric instruments which is still quite evident on this album.

This time they do not open the album with a title track, but instead it opens with "Written in the Stars" which is a very good piece that demonstrates all that the fans of this group like. This is followed by a pleasant but not particularly special version of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changin'". This is followed by one of my favorite pieces from this album, "I Still Remember" which has a driving beat which really grabbed my ear. This is followed by the nice sing-a-long piece titled "Home Again". At this point, it would have to be considered as good as any of the Blackmore Night's albums, but the next piece, "The Crowning of the King" is a bit too similar to some of their pieces from earlier albums for me. This is followed by "Fayre Thee Well", one of Ritchie Blackmore's acoustic instrumental works which is one of the better of those pieces, but I think it suffers from its placement after "The Crowning of the King". "Fires at Midnight" is the other of the really first rate pieces on the album. Some might find it a bit long at around seven and a half minutes, but for myself it all works. The piece builds beautifully to a masterful finish.

"Hanging Tree" is pleasant, but it is a couple cuts below "Fires at Midnight". "Storm" builds with some good energy as it goes along and I like the violin, but it did feel to me as if something were missing from the overall piece. "Mid Winter's Night" is another pleasant piece, but at this point it felt to me that the overall quality of the album had dropped a notch. "All Because of You" is another piece which continues the trend of decent but rather unexceptional pieces which seems to dominate the second half of this CD. "All Because of You" and "Waiting Just for You" do nothing to dispel that feeling, but one must remember that even the weaker pieces from Blackmore's Night are very listenable.

"Praetorius (Courante)" is one piece which is definitely above average in this part of the album and is another of the wonderful instrumental pieces which add extra flavor to Blackmore's Night's albums. "Benzai-Ten" is one of the few pieces that they have done which just doesn't work for me at all. The Japanese style didn't feel authentic at all to my ear, though I must admit I am no expert in that genre. "Village on the Sand" is a definite improvement, though again not one of their masterpieces. "Again Someday" is the sort of closer for the album, a nice pleasant acoustic piece, but in fact there is a hidden track titled "Sake of Song" which is the actual closer. As with most of the second half of this album, it is decent but nothing noteworthy. The other extra on this CD is a Video track which provides the video for "The Times They Are A Changin'".

With effectively 17 tracks and over 71 minutes of music plus a video this is easily the longest of the group's CDs, so one cannot criticize them for the quantity provided here. However, in this case less might have been more. Had they trimmed out a few of the lesser pieces and organized the tracks so as to spread out the highpoints this might have been the equal of their second album. As it is, it is above average, but not enough above average to earn four stars. There are often several versions of Blackmore's Night's albums, the one I have reviewed is from SPV (SPV 085-7243A CDE).
on 17 September 2001
I've been a Rainbow fan for longer than I'd care to admit and bought this on the strength of listening to Blackmore's Stranger in Us All, thinking I'd get a more lyrical Rainbow. This album was not what I expected at all - very folksy in places with Celtic overtones and made me think of Jethro Tull. There's very little of essential Blackmore in this (I can normally spot a Rainbow/Deep Purple track after a few bars!), but I get the feeling it will grow on me.