on 27 July 2014
I am very frugal with my 5 star ratings so this one surprised me.

I was a bit late getting into Blackmores Night, although aware of their existence I never gave them a serious thought. The trouble is I like a wide range of musical styles; prog rock, new age, folk, prog metal and I own albums by Rainbow. When I saw Ritchie Blackmore was playing medieval folk music, accompanied by his American wife on vocals, I thought "Surely they are taking the mickey, this is going to be a load of tosh" (polite version).
I read some reviews and my opinion was unaltered; foldee riddle, twiddly dee!

Why I didn't have a full listen to a track or two on the internet I don't know. Then, one day when I was really bored I clicked on the track 'Ghost of a Rose' on You Tube and sat enthralled; wonderful pure vocals and fantastic musicianship. I just had to have the album and when I did, more followed.

Mr Blackmore is obviously deadly earnest in his love of this folk music. His guitar playing, both acoustic and electric, is impeccable and for a folk group unique, lifting this bands style way above the 'elevator music' that some reviewers have labelled it. Candice Night writes most of the songs and they follow themes of traditional folk songs; '3 Black Crows' being similar to the traditional 'Twa Corbies'.

For folk fans there are elements of 'Amazing Blondel', early 'Albion Band' and a huge dollop of Welsh folk rockers 'BlueHorses.

Sometimes it pays to make up your own mind and not be too influenced by other people putting bands down just because they don't like them. Ok, if I had purchased this expecting to play air guitar and do a bit of head banging as I did with 'Rainbow Rising' then I too would have slated it. These reviews are all subjective and I'm really glad I eventually put aside my preconceptions. If I hadn't then I would have missed out on a very special listening experience.
on 7 March 2016
Plenty of good music here in this, their fourth (I believe) release. The Night - Blackmore tandem manage to keep up a consistently high level all round, singing, playing and producing thirteen of their own compositions, along with two covers: Joan Baez' Diamonds and Rust and Ian Anderson's Rainbow Blues. These two versions are very well executed, and help to provide more variety to the album. How original the other songs are I don't know, since they obviously draw on traditional melodies and riffs to some extent, but the final result makes for some very enjoyable songs. The title track, Ivory Tower, Way to Mandalay or Where are we going from here? are just some of the better tracks. The up-tempo All for One is fun, and Loreley is a spirited song, though for such woeful lyrics I would have preferred a slower ballad. Dandelion Wine is a more reflective song, of high quality, and a fitting end to the album. The cd boasts a video track which our copy doesn't reproduce (perhaps it needs a different system. No good on our computer, but the music needs no extra effects). The packaging is tastefully designed and the ten-leaf booklet containing the lyrics and the usual credits, etc. amply reflects the thought and effort put into the whole project. You can't go far wrong with this one.
on 8 April 2016
WOW another great album for my collection, with a very nice inside album cover / sleeve from
Blackmore's Night with lots of great songs not to be missed...
Playing for the third time today. just fantastic old style folk music mediaeval minstrels
Just mind blowing in a fantastic way that Candice & Richie and the minstrels play this wonderful
music the way they do ...
Five Gold Stars for Blackmore's Night with this album... I can hear the fans cheering far and wide.. wicked
So many good tunes it's hard to say what is the best so I leave you to pick and enjoy
from
SATAN
review imagereview image
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2009
I'd never heard of Blackmore's Night, but found this on my recommendations having purchased the Mediaeval Baebes. I thought they looked interesting, so took potluck in listening to a few snippets here on good ol' Amazon.

The little that I heard was enough to entice me to purchase 'Ghost of a Rose' and I'm soooo glad I did. A lovely album to just kick off your shoes, lie back and be transported by Candice's soft, pure voice, and ethereal melodies.

Ghost of a rose, has a nice mix of ballads and more lively tracks. Hard to have a favourite, but the ones which stand out the most for me are: Ghost of a Rose, Queen for a day, Road to Mandalay and Dandelion Wine. However, this is an album I can listen to from start to finish - no problem.

As a result of this I have since purchased Secret Voyage.

Definitely a lucky find on Amazon:)
on 8 January 2018
product was as it should be
on 10 January 2014
I've listened to Blackmore's Night snippets many times, and now decided to collect them all. I admire Ritchie Blackmore, his unique talent, musical visions and feels. I adore Candice' wonderful vocals which has similarities with ABBA's Agnetha and Anni-Frid, and then some Stevie Nicks.
on 19 March 2016
Good stuff, worth it for Way to Mandalay alone!
on 23 February 2015
Purchase this Cd to replace my old copy of the cd, which got damage.
on 7 April 2016