on 10 June 2010
This is a very special film as award winning cameraman Stephen de Vere shows you the natural world that lies just beyond your garden. Beautifully shot and full of intimate detail about the wildlife and his relationship with it, the film is a little gem of a documentary. It's a celebration of the extraordinary nature of ordinary nature and I'd much rather watch it than lions eating things in the Serengeti. I particularly liked the film of the long tailed tits making their magical little nest from gossamer and feathers. Would recommend this to anyone living in the UK who would like to know a little more about their wild neighbours.
on 26 August 2010
This is a real gem that will delight anyone (adult or child) remotely interested in nature. Filmed in the Oxfordshire countryside during the course of the year, it follows an amazingly rich diversity of wildlife that had this family enthralled.

The cameraman's engaging commentary (as he finds himself surrounded by barn owls, fledgling little owls, foxes, deer, a red kite, pond wildlife and a great diversity of native and migratory birds) displays a great breadth of knowledge and wealth of experience in the field.

As exciting as any wildlife documentary filmed in the Amazon or Africa, it's all the more wonderful because it shows the rich diversity of life still to be found a handful of miles from a bustling city centre.
on 4 May 2017
I would rather be out there, but if you cant it is alot like you are watching the wildlife with Stephen de Vere. Maybe making a flask of tea, some sandwiches, putting on your outdoor gear and leaving the window open might help make it more real ?
on 17 April 2017
Pleasant and interesting to watch if you are a wildlife fan
on 4 March 2017
Absolutely beautiful, enjoyed every second.
on 19 November 2010
This beautiful documentary will appeal to any age group. I really enjoyed the sequence about a couple of muncjak deer eating peanuts which Steve had put down to entice some badgers out of their set. I now recognise their strange warning bark through my garden gate! I also loved the way that foxes pounce on their prey and having watched Steve's DVD was able to inform the people I work with that it was highly unlikely to be a cat burying its prey in the flower boxes outside a local Oxfordshire primary school but rather an urban fox. Steve's obvious passion for filming wildlife is both informative and amusing and I do not hesitate in recommending this DVD for armchair viewers as well as budding wildlife enthusiasts. It has certainly opened my eyes to the wonders around me that I often take forgranted when out walking in the countryside.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2010
Discoveries by a top wildlife cameraman of the nature in his own village and its surrounds. A stunning portrait of the wildlife and rhythms of a beautiful part of the country. Its great that the kind of attention that gets paid to exotic wildlife destinations is given to England's own back yard.
on 18 October 2010
I get so tired in nature documentaries of just hearing presenters' scripts as voiceover; in this dvd it is fascinating to hear a real wildlife cameraman's comments and insights about the genuine moment itself. I feel you get the realtime interaction between nature and artist/observer and thoughts based on the actual experience itself. Beautifully done. I loved the foxes. It has encouraged me to go out and observe more about my own local country side and environment and to be more active in its protection.
on 31 May 2010
Stephen de Vere captures the wildlife that's right under our noses - it's a brilliant film about things we could see if only we knew how and where. I was transfixed by his expertise as a cameraman and I think he's funny! He seems to know how the animals and birds are thinking. My local wildlife trust is probably worth a visit plus we all need to show our kids this DVD so they will learn about the English countryside and get inspired to go outside more.
on 3 May 2010
A magical, and intimate, portrait of the English countryside: Steve de Vere gives us a fascinating and very personal insight into the making of a wildlife documentary over a year. And, as you would expect from an emmy-winning camerman, it is breath-takingly beautiful.