Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.28

on 3 June 2010
WOW I just could not put this book down!

Beaten by a step mother, abused by "Uncles", let down by family, neighbors & society, a young girls struggle for love, companionship self worth & life.

This book is a true tale to often hidden away from the public eye, the details of Abbie's early Life will leave you shocked & dismayed even sick to the core but with every page turned of this young girls struggle the deeper you will be drawn in & feel touched by her world. Written from her own perspective gives this book such feeling, like your chatting to your best friend, sister or actually walking in Abigail's shoes.

Teenage years looking for an identity, love, companionship, maybe just some recognition of being an equal human being, is a struggle we all face growing up but the true reality of the cruel world she grew up in made Abbie both vulnerable & disillusioned with no clear direction. Disowned by her family thrown into societies waste bin of social care, living life without rules, laws or boundaries. Abigail's tales of being a Moddette, scooter rallies, drugs, alcohol & boys is a world we can all associate with but without truly knowing what lies beneath the cover of a victim of a world that should love & care for us.

Be prepared to not put this book down it really is so compelling, be prepared to open your heart & mind to a world no one child should ever have to walk in but most of all be prepared to accept we all have a role to play in raising our future society in a loving caring environment, stop the abusers listen to your children & never ignore the scars that will never truly heal!

Thank you Abigail for sharing you story!
on 7 June 2010
This book is both harrowing and moving.It is a testimony to what can be endured and overcome.At the same time it makes you realise that when you see young people behaving badly that you must not be judgmental. There may be underlying reasons for them acting this way.
We must open our ears, eyes and hearts and hopefully we may be able to save others from having to endure what Abie went through.Thank you Abie for sharing your story with us,you are indeed a remarkable young woman.
on 28 July 2010
WOW, brilliant book! Very well written and a very brave author for bringing it into the open. Im sure this will inspire other people to come forward and tell there stories too. Would most definatley recommend this book to everyone.
on 29 August 2013
Sad real-life story but with a 'happy' ending (as in, she gets her life sorted). The abuse this lady went through in her younger years is horrific. You can see why she acted out as a teen. I enjoyed reading about the mod life she had as a teen - I grew up around skins so it was cool to see that side.The book itself will make you want to cry for this poor girl, but the ending is inspiring and it's message - you are not alone, it's ok to show your emotions - comes through strongly. Luckily, she managed to let go of the hurt and anger in the end.
on 21 February 2011
Author: Abigail Lawrence

Reviewer: Louisa Mullerworth

Introduction:
Abigail Lawrence is an incredible first time writer; she has taken a story full of pain and suffering and turned it into an inspirational masterpiece. Filled with graphic and intense descriptions of what it is like to live in an abusive home. Abigail is a loving mother, dedicated to both her birth children and those she fosters. She paints as well as writes and has a desire to bring to light the difficulties faced by those who are in abusive homes.

The Book:
The book depicts a story of a six year old girl and her brother; they loose their mother who goes into hospital and never returns. Her father shortly meets and becomes involved with a woman who at first seems nice but once her father returns to work on the road the poor girl soon sees a different side to the woman who `wants to make it on TV' and will do anything to get there. So now the girl and her brother is stuck in a house with an insane woman with only her kids for company. Years later after systematic abuse in all forms the girls father finally leaves the dreadful woman however this does not spell the end for the young girl who is still suffering from the effects such a violent upbringing had on her.
This is a truly remarkable story one of which I would recommend to everyone. It gives to truth and honesty; the no bars approach is refreshing an invigorating.
on 29 May 2011
When i started reading this book I almost closed it with horror, but Im so glad I didnt! This book is fantastic and I read it in a day unable to put it down, such a horrific story with a nice ending although i was left wanting to read more!! Just hope there is another!
I was recommended to read this book, for the strength of character this person is. I wasn't sure at first as these type of reads can upset me. The details of the abuse was awful and how the 'new mom' would hire them out for these men. It was so harrowing to read. What did come out load and clear was, we see teenagers and young children behaving so badly and so many that do not respect authority. I am not saying all are abused, but it does make you wonder what kind of life they have to live at home. Like I said, not all children, some are just rebellious because its their age and finding their footing in life.

This young lady came out the other side but with many many scars.

Truly a remarkable read and truly a terrible horrific childhood.
on 25 November 2013
Another book which I thoroughly enjoyed, could relate to some of the mod era events although not the re-invention during the seventies. I was there in the sixties although a little too young to be part of the mods and rockers. Hats off to Abigail for writing her story, I am pleased she came through her torment but it was a shame she endured so much pain during her young years. Worth reading.
on 10 July 2014
This is a moving story of a young child who trusts people she is left in the care of. To have so much happen in 16 years is heart breaking I wish I could help, I would want to help and I take my hat off to you for helping others now . This book is not for the feint hearted
I wish you luck with the rest of your travels Abbie xx
on 4 June 2010
In telling her childhood story of sexual exploitation and physical abuse, Abbie compels us to experience her anguish and pain. Her account is lucid and starkly real. However, this is even more than an account of a terrifying, abused childhood for, beyond this, lies Abbie's gigantic struggle to gain a balanced adulthood, while locked in teenage isolation. There is a message here. We should all be taking notes and think twice before condemning "inappropriate" teenage behaviour. We must ask why some children "act out" so ferociously. The tell-tale behaviours that hide the secret of abuse have now been laid bare and there is no excuse for ignoring the angry cries of a child in pain...no matter how obnoxious the cry. We've been given the clues and can never claim ignorance again. I read the last few pages through a mist of tears...there is hope!