Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 August 2010
You'd have thought that as this record has plenty of ties with Evanescence (Ben Moody, John LeCompt & Rocky Gray are all former members) it would have been a no brainer for millions of fans to be checking this record out.
Strangely then, it appears to have dropped through the charts with hardly anyone blinking an eye.
Not that this record is a bad one, far from it in fact.
Having recruited lead singer Carly Smithson (of American idol fame who to be fair is a very attractive woman who has all the vocal ability needed to raise a few eyebrows in comparison to Amy Lee) the end result is a polished alternative rock/metal debut with strong rock numbers and customary ballads here and there.
Lead single "Bury Me Alive" is the probably the albums strongest rocker, but for me its on those customary ballads that "We Are The Fallen" shine the most, the best of which is "Sleep Well, My Angel."
With disappointing sales so far it would be a shame for another single not to be released from this record, critical reception too was mixed, overall though I feel as though millions of Evanescence fans have missed a trick somewhat, "We Are The Fallen" is a much better record than people are giving it credit for.
on 4 January 2013
OK, so everyones saying "Its like evanesence..." comparisons are sure to be made with WATF containing 3 former band members of evanescence, in fact I'd be surprised if there weren't some similarities. What lifts this album up from a potential pale copy is that the music has moved on..probably what evanescence would have liked to do going forward? Adding Carly Simpson as vocalist was a good move here too, adding a fresh ingredient to the mix. Don't fob this off as an evanescence wannabe album: well worth the purchase price.
on 15 October 2010
My first encounter with We Are the Fallen was the video for Bury Me Alive on the internet. Being a huge fan of Evanescence and Within Temptation, I was naturally interested in a band in the same 'genre', and I was quite impressed by Bury Me Alive, so I decided to get the album.

I have not been disappointed. Though the first couple of listens did not blow me away, over the next few listens I fell in love with this album.

The album mainly features powerful guitar-driven songs, with a few softer ballad-type songs. However, the songs have within them contrasting loud and soft moments and various engaging subtleties.

The lyrics and Carly's voice are particularly engaging as well. I find myself compelled to sing along and immerse myself in the drama of the songs.

Of the ballad-type songs, Sleep Well My Angel did not initial seem to have great appeal to me, but it has grown on me immensely.

My favourite song on the album would have to be St John. It is dark, moody, and brilliant - it has a very emotive theme of abandonment and betrayal.

The title track starts out with an eerie and haunting feel, which I like, but the song also has an awesome guitar-riff driven chorus. It is my second favourite on the album.

Paradigm is also a stand-out track, as is Through Hell, albeit to a lesser extent. Overall the album has very few songs that I would consider weak - only three or four out of eleven, and even they are still decent.

So in summary, the album has many brilliant tracks, is thoroughly enjoyable, and was well worth getting!
on 31 August 2010
If you like Evanescence, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, then you'll love We Are The Fallen!! Carly's voice is amazing... so powerful! This album has it all, from heavy songs like St. John and Burn, to ballads like I Am Only One and Sleep Well My Angel. I Can't wait for future albums from this awesome band!! :)
on 26 November 2014
I knew this was a good album from the tracks I have heard on YouTube, but it is so much more, I only waited this long to buy it because I have had other priorities (foolishly). This is an album of great music, powerful, dark at times, beautiful and bitter sweet, it is about life and love lost and found.
I have listened to it a couple of times so far, I know few albums were I can just put it on repeat and leave it on, and actually listen to it, Carly's voice is great, I know she is going to be compared to Amy and why, Ben has a way of bringing the best out of the women he has worked with, both Amy and Carly sing similar songs, in part because of Ben, but also Carly does have a lot of respect for Amy, as she showed on American Idol. I like Carly's voice it is a bit deeper but lacks nothing when it comes to power and passion, she feels these songs and it shows, it is a thing of beauty.
This album should have done a lot more business, it is what 'the open door' could have been if Amy and Ben had not parted ways.

Give this a chance it is both different and the same in a great way
on 12 May 2010
Let's get one thing out of the way first - the inevitable Evanescence comparisons are going to pretty much cripple every review and thought on this album - the fact they're a female fronted rock band, the fact that the lead singer is a raven haired temptress....oh, and the fact that the other band members (excluding bassist Marty) are all ex-members of the multi-platinum selling goth/rock/pop giants Evanescence.

And because of this fact, there is of course inevitable similarities in the writing style for each band, but I'm relieved to say that the similarities are surprisingly few and far between. Carly's got a powerful set of lungs on her, but her mighty, powerhouse voice is nothing like Amy's ethereal siren song, which instantly sets the songs apart.

Thundering tracks like Burn, Paradigm and St John more than make up for the Ev-alike sounds on Bury Me Alive (the lead single, and the original cause for my fear that it would all be copied from Ev's debut Fallen). The band sounds ferocious on some of the tracks which, coupled with Carly's massive voice really hammers your eardrums and gets your heart going.

Without You demonstrates the sheer scale of her vocals - just when you think they can't get any more bombastic and impressive....they do.

The one thing that I feel really lets this album down are the (inevitable) ballads, Sleep Well My Angel and I Am Only One being the main culprits. Without an ethereal vocal which always managed to seperate Ev's slower moments from the usual inane balladry that plagues winners of X factor and American Idol, WATF's lighter tracks end up sounding like Kelly Clarkson cast offs. Fingers crossed they don't end up playing too many of them live.

So, overall, a roaring success - obviously room for improvement, but it is the band's first release, but I'm glad to see they've worked hard to seperate themselves from the inevitable ties to their past - fingers crossed by the next album people will have forgotten there was any connection at all.
on 1 April 2014
I heard this album while listening to my streaming account, I had the radio feature on for another band and this one came on. I then listened to the whole album and was not disappointed, for me there is not one bad song on it. The only downside is as yet there is still no follow up album, the rumour mill is they are working on some things, but is such a shame.
However I am talking about this album and I can listen to it so many times over without getting bored. It has a mixture of hard hitting songs, mid ones and some soft rock too. Every song has its differences, and it is so well written and played. Hopefully will hear something soon that a new album is coming out. My pre order would be in straight away :)
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2010
Personally, I loved the music of Evanescence...great songs, heavy guitars, crunching bass and a vocal that would soar to the very heavens and boy, was it a disappointment when the whole venture unravelled and Amy Lee split to go solo. What was more astounding was that the remaining members of the band managed to find another vocalist of the qualities of Amy, but also that they were astute enough not to continue to ride the Evanescence bandwagon - hence, the new band name; We Are The Fallen.
That said, this IS Evanescence in all but name, as Tear The World Down ably continues where The Open Door left off....great songs, heavy guitars, crunching bass and the vocals of Carly Smithson that can soar to the very heavens - I kid you not!
Kicking off with Bury Me Alive, we hear the Evanescence heavy rocking riffs and this gives notice that this is an album of uncompromising strength. Burn, Paradigm, Don't Leave Me Behind all follow in the same genre, but it is a simple ballad that follows that abruptly changes the musical landscape, in the form of Sleep Well, My Angel - truly beautiful music that will have you reaching for the replay button! Who said that heavy rock songwriters cannot write beautiful tunes too??
This album has been with me now for just over two weeks and it has hardly left the player and, time and again I catch myself humming the riff of one number or the other...a very rare event indeed for me. So, am I missing Amy Lee....well yes, but I can always buy into her solo career...but We Are The Fallen are indeed, the real deal, with Carly putting her stamp onto the proceedings which will more than make up for the demise of Evanescence!
on 15 March 2014
I'm a big Evanescence fan, Amy Lee is a goddes who can do no wrong. However, I prefer the first album and some members of We are the Fallen played a key part in that album. Despite protestations that these were Evanescence clones only not as good, I took the plunge and bought it. Thank goodness! These guys have a legitimate right to the Evanescence 'feel 'and, indeed, the whole genre, being key players at the beginning. Whilst there is enough talent here to have produced an album that is more distant from the Evanescence feel, this album rocks! Cracking songcraft, a superb female lead singer, magnificent wailing guitar play - Im hooked. If you like any of this genre, particularly the earlier Evancesence, or rock music as a whole, you will love this. Ignore it and you miss out.
on 31 May 2010
A superb album, with towering goth-rock numbers and delightful ballads. Carly has an impressive voice which empowers the songs and compliments the driving guitars on the rock songs. The softer ballads are beautiful songs which tug the heart. This was a somewhat tentative purchase, but I discovered an excellent album which has found universal acclaim amongst my friends.