on 6 July 2011
Pictured on Joby's literature and website holding a professional camera or a large digital video camera I was certain this would be right for me. I needed it to support a 5D Mk II with battery grip and 24-70 L lens, sadly this did not happen.

I found the legs sagged when the camera was placed on it, which may seem like a minor complaint, but I could not be sure it would not collapse fully. The reason for buying the tripod was to take night shots which require stability, but I could not reply on this to give me that.

I ended up buying a Giottos travel tripod instead. If your camera is lighter then it may suit your needs.
on 26 June 2011
I was a thrilled with this purchase as it does everything it says on the tin. I'm disabled so I can attach the Gorrilapod to the armrests on my wheelchair when I take photographs. A clever invention indeed.
on 19 October 2011
At last, a Gorillapod that seems to be firm enough. I use a Canon 50D with various lenses but no battery grip. The Gorillapod SLR was not firm enough to hold my camera still but the Focus with the Ball Head is very rigid. So far I am very pleased with this product.
on 4 October 2015
If you are traveler you will regret why you didn't get this long back.

Gorillpod is every penny worth it. Awesome grip and simple to operate.
Ball head-X is super smooth and two nob to adjust and for panning is just great.
Attaching my first shot taken in London

I used it with Nikon D7000 with Tokina 11-16 lens and it performed superb.
Final word: If you are looking for travel tripod or gorrilaPod only go with Focus+ballheadX.
review image
on 9 August 2016
At the time of writing, I have owned and use this unit for 3 months, so I can't comment about longer term durability yet.

This was on a deal for £80 when I bought it and it feels like great value at that price. Bought to use for video and stills photography with a Panasonic GH4 which is not the biggest or heaviest camera around. I have yet to try it with something like a Canon 5D with large lens to see if it can hold that but it holds a GH4 with battery grip, medium size Full Frame zoom lens and flash or mic on the hotshoe with no problem.

The Ballhead X is outstanding quality; the metal is weighty and well made, all the screw locks for the camera plate, pan head and ball joint feel solid and high quality. Once locked in, there will be no movement from any of them.

The legs are incredibly versatile and the rubber rings around each section and the rubber feet grip well to almost any surface, and the way the legs are made mean that you can effectively 'tie' your camera to just about anything using very little space and get some great angles. I also use it hand held to get some extra height or reach in any direction, to help place the camera in an awkward sport while being held in place (eg in a car), to help stabilise the camera while moving by hanging it upside down or turning the legs into handles, or in 'selfie' or vlogging style (if your lens is wide enough) which brings me to the next point.

I suspect many people will be looking at this as it's the Gorillapod which Casey Neistat uses on a daily basis for his Vlog. He uses a heavier camera and he gives a it a lot of heavy use on a daily basis. He has complained that his unit often sags but I would say he is at the far end in terms of heavy users and that most people will not give it the daily abuse which he does. That said, he still uses it because it is so versatile.
Time will tell how long the friction lasts on the legs of my unit but after 3 months of use multiple times a week (sometimes daily), I haven't seen any evidence of such wear yet.

I am very happy with it; it does multiple jobs and while it's not as good as a dedicated tripod, monopod or stabiliser, it can do a good enough job to cover all of these and it's a lot smaller and lighter than any of them which is a big bonus when you're shooting quickly on the go or travelling. I shoot a lot more and get more interesting shots than I would without it, and any accessory which does that effectively improves your photography and makes it well worth the purchase any day of the week.
on 15 January 2015
I bought this for our holiday this year, going to be a bit of safari and some travelling round, I didnt want to take a tripod, so thought I would get this for my DLSR as I have had the small version for a couple of years.
Hence as yet I cannot review the use, but the quality of this thing is amazing, its so beautiful too, as much as a tripod can be anyhow...lol
But the engineering that has gone into is is incredible.
It is very stable, have tried various cameras on it and am quite confident it will manage anything on it and anywhere on our holiday.
It feels fairly heavy but sturdy in the hand and easy to position the legs and will stay put.
Big enough to use with tripod straps etc on your bags, but small enough to be unobtrusive I would say.
I will update this review when I have put it to more use in the field but all I can say now is, if you are thinking of getting one and trying to decide oon this or the plastic one, go for this one and you wont regret it.
on 2 November 2013
I needed a small but compact tripod that would be versatile in every situation, i read all the reviews and took all on board. I have used it with my 7D and 70-200mm with 2x converter and i have no worries sometimes i read all the reviews and wonder what people are talking about.
Bought this as I did not want a tripod strapped to my bag while travelling so people wouldn't know I had camera in my bag. It is quality. Very stable and even though its no where near a full height tripod I really found this did not hinder me and only made me shoot more creatively.
on 9 May 2013
I will start with the only one small con of this tripod - its cost. Probably for pro photographer it isn't much, however for the rest of us - enthusiasts and amateurs it is a little high..

However, this is probably one of my best photography purchases this year. It is very light for a tripod. Very very sturdy! It can hold my 7D + grip + 70-200 2.8 IS II (with the help of a ring mount of course)! Nuff said about that part. Second, the ball head is extremely fluid and easy to operate. The tight knobs are also very comfortable and secure. I am just amazed of this ball head. Probably my big tripod is really below par compared to this tiny one. This thing fits into almost any backpack - you can stick it in side pockets if you have, or you can put it inside the big one. If you have a not very tall bag, you can even twist it so it fits.

I've had only one problem and it happened only once. I was outside and maybe twisted a little bit harsh one of the legs, so it came off... Right in the centre of the leg. I was shocked. I have been using it for just few days. However I fixed it very easy. Just used some power to stick it back in and so far so good. 2 months and it is ok. I got that for 89 from Amazon, I see now that it is a little bit higher. It would have been great if the cost was at least 20-30 GBP less.. However, you get what you pay for.
on 26 September 2013
Arrived in reasonable time and well packaged.

I have so far used this tripod in hides with a Nikon D3100 and a 70-300mm lens and also with an Olivon T90 scope (which is pretty heavy although I'm not sure how much). Using normal floor standing tripods in hides is often hopeless as the seats/benches are often screwed down too close to the window and there is often not much room. I wanted something to hold my camera or scope on the window ledge of a hide and often these are narrow. The flexibility of the legs is a real good point as you can bend the legs around to fit almost any situation (one leg wrapped over the window, one wrapped under the front of the ledge and one on the ledge). The rubber material on the spheres in the legs seems to grip just about anything although if I had one small criticism it would be when used as a traditional tripod and you want to reduce the height. Your forced to splay the legs out too far and it will sag - perhaps if the same rubber on the feet was a little softer (for even more grip) it might be even better.

As for the head, it works well and and once tightened up it stays put. However, for quality control I'd have to give it a negative. I didn't realise before my first trip out but the bracket you sit your camera/scope on is attached with a small allen screw which was not tight. After a little use on my first day it got worse and I didn't have an allen key with me. Once home this was easily rectified.

Would definitely recommend this item and although it is a bit pricey it seems to do the job.
on 7 April 2016
This is a great solution for photographers that travel and just don't have room for a full size tripod.
This version is robust enough to take a full frame camera such as the Nikon D800 along with a decent size lens with out any issues at all. The head is easy to use with the tension for the ball head and rotation screws nicely located and easy to grip.
The legs wrap around fences, trees, lampposts and just about anything else you could imagine easily and they grip well using the rubber coated sections. After heavy use the legs do show wear but they are still perfectly usable and don't feel like they are getting loose.
All in all its a must have for me as it gives me so many creative options that a traditional tripod doesn't offer, it can replace a traditional tripod in many situations with a bit of creative thinking, and it is well made.