Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 25 March 2011
I was a little dubious starting this given its striking difference in genre to John Grisham's usual writing, and so bought it second hand so that it wouldn't be too much of a waste if I didn't get on with it. As it was, I was right.

The plot focusses on the calamities that befall Luther and Nora Krank when they decide to forgo Christmas one year and go on a cruise instead. As is obvious from the text adorning the cover, it's been made into a film, and reading it certainly gave the impression that it would perhaps be better off in that medium.

The characters are bland and forgettable, and a large number of the supporting cast seem unrealistic (though this is not an uncommon feeling I have toward John Grisham's novels so it may be the culture difference). There's no real depth though to even the main characters, and much of the narration focusses on events rather than developing the characters or exploring their lives - they weren't really likable and are quite honestly forgettable.

The presentation of this edition even irritated me - the line spacing is wide and the chapters begin with fancy curly letters, which combine to give the impression that the book has been stretched out to make it appear bigger than it is.

Overall it was a tedious descent into a mostly depressing conclusion and I'll admit to being glad it's over. John Grisham's previous experiments into other genres have been fine, but this time I think he's gone a bit too far, and I look forward to getting back to his legal thrillers. My advice - skip this book.
on 7 March 2017
These reviews must be for another book - the one I am reading has nothing to do with Christmas or missing it. It is a much too complicated yarn about a missing 9 million dollars, stolen by a lawyer who is pursued by several suitors. I'm still confused about who is who and I may not bother to finish it. I love Grisham but he has lost me here
on 20 November 2013
I am a big John Grisham fan and have loved many of his books but this is one I was a little disappointed in. The story started off well and I expected a good end to the story but I found the ending to be flat feeling "is that it". If it is a book that someone has not read out of all the John Grisham books then I would say to try it but don't expect too much of the ending. The twists and turns into the book is the best but the ending I wanted more. The delivery time was good and price of the book was also good. I would recommend to friends with a warning not to expect too much at the end.
on 14 August 2017
As ever Grisham performs flawlessly and delivers a book that is almost impossible to put down, more twists and turns than a kangaroo's intestines. wonderful attention to detail and characters vividly portrayed to love and hate. Grisham has to be in the top ten best thriller writers, noticeably better than those more famous. Thank you Mr .G.
on 23 September 2017
Not read John Grisham for a while having been reading a Michael Kerr and Stephen Leather. Have read every book of John Grisham's prior to "The Partner". Started reading and could not put it down, more twists and turns than a switchback. Grisham'a masterly story telling are legionedary but the build up to the near finale is fantastic, only downside was that I predicted the ending but NOT until nearly the end. Would have liked a Patrick and Evanto have sailed off into the sunset together.
on 7 March 2017
Like a Tuesday afternoon movie on Channel 5 !!!
on 4 April 2017
A book that thoroughly deserves the five stars. I could not put the book down from the minute I picked it up. I read into the early hours of the morning because of the unexpected twists and turns although I guessed the ending before I got there. I have already recommended it to friends.
on 27 June 2017
Although I'd watched the film lots I'd never read the book. Very similar but a joy to read at Christmas time.
on 12 May 2017
Would like to know if they ever did meet again or did she just disappear with all the money and what eventually happened is there a follow up
on 23 July 2017
Always a good read. Shows the US justice system in a new light.