on 11 June 2013
After using it for 9 months, I decided to edit my review.
The tripod seems solid and sturdy, but I've encountered a number of problems which made me regret buying it.

1. If you're going to shoot seascapes, think twice before buying this tripod! The sand gets in the quick release locks, and the springs get calcified and rust easily after a couple of months of light use. I ended up having to clean as much sand as possible (there's still sand inside the tripod legs), greased the springs in the quick release locks and covered the legs with plastic wrap and scotch tape. This means that I can't extend the legs when I'm at the beach and 20 cm is about as high as it gets.

2. After 9 months use, the ball in the tripod head got stuck!!! EVERYTIME I TIGHTEN IT, IT GETS STUCK! I need to take the head out of the tripod and bang it with a hammer or a wrench for it to turn loose! I'm buying a Triopo B2 head and continue to use this tripod, until I can get a decent Triopo one.

I've written an email to Hahnel and I'm still waiting to see if I'll get a replacement head. If I do, I'll update this review.

UPDATE: I'm very satisfied with Hahnel's customer service. The new head was delivered to me within less than 10 days and this sort of customer service is very rare nowadays. Nevertheless, all the other problems remain...

Conclusion: If you're not shooting seascapes and the tripod is meant for light use only, I guess it's not that bad, especially considering the price. On the other hand, if you want to take up photography as a serious hobby, I would advise you to spend a little more and get a decent tripod + head.
review image review image review image
on 26 March 2013
I recently bought my second Hahnel Triad 30 Lite. I was so please with the first one i had little choice but get another one.

This is not for video work but works wonder for photography. I am sometimes using the tripods as light stands and they are perfect for that too.

The tripods are of good construction and just a joy to use.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 February 2014
I got this for £35 which is a bit cheaper than now - but I guess this is how it goes with so many positive reviews. I have used it with several cameras and it has done a great job.

Positives:
+ light
+ it comes with a holding bag
+ very simple design which is possible to implement only using good quality materials
+ easy to use and to set up
+ great for shooting macro - basically the main pole can be reversed in such a way that the camera is mounted underneath the three legs. this means that you can get as close as you want to objects in macro mode - great feature.
+ it has a hook at the end of the main pole for mounting weights to increase stability if required
+ great flexibility in terms of positioning the camera only by using one screw - very convenient

Negatives:
- well, it's not cheap
on 2 November 2014
Been using this a lot of late and once a bag is hung from the center hook I find it pretty stable. At 6'4" it has about the right height for me too which is a real bonus, the legs being independent in operation give more room to level it easily.

The quick release is really useful, very quick and easy to use. My only criticism is the damped panning is a little too damped but you get used to it and compensate.

Plenty of levels to make sure you have it stood straight, a very good entry level tripod
on 20 November 2014
A quality compact and affordable tripod.

It has a bit of flex in the central post so it may not be as sturdy as a heavier duty tripod but, for the weight of the thing, it does a great job.

I did have an issue on my very first shoot out; on my return walk home I hooked the tripod over the strap of my camera bag and the ball-head lock unscrewed itself and was lost. Without this, the ball-head moves freely rendering the tripod useless.

However, I contacted Hahnel directly to enquire about spare parts and the replacement part was in the post the very same day. I was half expecting them to want a ridiculous amount of money for a tiny component. I thought I might end up just buying a new ball-head from somewhere else but they supplied the replacement part at no expense!

Overall, very happy with the product and support.
on 19 February 2012
Looked around one or two sites for tripod to suite my needs read the reviews on Amazon regarding this tripod Triad 40 Lite it was just what I was looking for the 360 lock in system works a treat, fully adjustable legs and the function for reversing allowing you place your camera underneath for macro shots is very useful comes complete with carry case
overall this tripod is very sturdy made from alloy and is fairly light compared to some I've tried don't think you can go far wrong for the money most places you would pay as much if not more just for the 360 ball head fitment?
on 1 September 2011
I bought this tripod for my D90 and I tried yesterday evening, it proves to be an excellent product. It has 360 degree view platform and it is very smooth to move the camera on the platform. Besides this, it proves to be very easier to put on and off the camera, which is very useful when you are in hurry. In short, it makes taking photos in dim light much more easier and enjoyable.
on 24 January 2014
Light weight, but heavy enough to resist some wind (hook on the bottom to add weight incase!). Perfectly sturdy, well built! Only minor complaint would be careful of un/screwing the inner tube as there is a plastic pad that keeps the tube in place. May lean into the tube to make inserting the tripod head slightly more difficult.
on 9 January 2013
Being over 6ft tall I needed a tripod that at least came up to my chest....this one does!

I was very impressed with the quality of this tripod, the whole things feels very solid even when the tripod is extended to its fullest height. I did read a review somewhere where someone said something along the lines of while taking pictures on a hill over the sea on a windy day the tripod wobbled a bit.....well I would suggest sitting your camera on a brick wall then because I don't this for the price you will get a more solid piece of kit.

It did take a litle while to get use to the "lock in system" having been use to the conventional tripod "controls" in the past, but soon mastered it and actually found it allowed me to be a lot quicker in getting the camera pointing where I wanted it to point. The locking control locks everthing solid in 1/4 of a turn. I couldn't believe it at first and kept hold of my camera "just in case", but I need not have worried.

I found that if the tripod is set up so the locking control is operated by my left hand I can keep hold of the camera with my right hand ready to to pictures as I move the camera round......but you will find you own preferences so far as this is concerned.

The 360 head is fantastic and allows the camera to be tipped/tilted to any angle imaginable.

Great being about to reverse the central column allowing the camera when reversed to almost touch the ground. The feature of the legs being individually angled at any position and locked in 4 different angles (25°/ 45° / 75° and 135°) is amazing and allows all manner of positioning.

The panning is superb, very smooth and with markings on the tripod easy to get great panoramic shots.

Highly recommended
on 2 May 2014
This is certainly the most 'travel friendly' tripod that I have. The thin legs do flex a little, but what else can one expect in such a compact tripod. I'm glad I bought it and I definitely carry a tripod more now than I used to.