Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 28 October 2010
I bought this versatile network device to act as an Access Point (AP) - in CLIENT MODE - to wirelessly connect my PC to a BT Home Hub in another part of my home. "Client mode" can also be used to connect a router to a FREESAT or SKY set top box to watch BBC iPlayer (amongst many other uses.) Configuring the TL-WA801ND was somewhat "tricky" for me, but well worth the effort for the extra performance it delivers ie. the "n" speed and extended range capabilities of this multi mode access point. After a little experimentation I successfully configured the AP for my BT Home Hub by the following steps:

[1] set a static IP address on your computer so you can configure the device - this is clearly explained in the first page of the Quick Start guide;
[2] open your web browser and enter 192.168.1. 254 into the address field (enter "admin" into User and Password fields) - this opens the "web setup utility;"
[3] from the "Network" submenu enter a suitable LAN (ethernet wired) IP address (for example in my case) 192.168.1.70 - save and reboot;
[4] from the "Wireless" submenu select your operating mode (CLIENT in my case;)
[5] click the search button and select the router to which you wish to connect;
[6] for the BT Home Hub DO NOT select the "Enable WDS" tick box, this option will not work, instead select the "MAC of AP" button - save and reboot;
[7] from the "Security" submenu select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and in the version and encryption boxes select "automatic" - save and reboot;
[8] return to the "Network" submenu and set the LAN "Type" selection to Dynamic (DHCP) - save and reboot;
[9] reset your IP address on your computer to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS address automatically.
[10] wait (be patient) for the computer to acquire the IP address from your router and then connect to the internet!

These steps worked for me and I hope they may be of use to other users of the TL-WA801ND (and its variants TL-WA701ND.)

A great performer at a very reasonable price.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2011
I bough this TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point; IEEE 802.11n IEEE 802.11g; IEEE 802.11b; 1x 10/100 RJ45 (TL-WA801ND) to extend the wireless network in my house. It is not a broadband router in its own right.

I run a Netgear Wireless N ADSL Router, which is fine for using our laptops and my Blackberry downstairs, but the signal was poor an intermittent upstairs.

I have connected my upstairs software development PCS (1 Debian Linux and 1 Windows Vista) to a wired hub, and then to the Wireless Access Point, as it only has 1 Ethernet port. The wireless linkage is fantastic and achieves household networking speeds comparable to a wire LAN between the upstairs PCS and the laptops. (What a pity that ADSL in our area is such a bottleneck).

The Access point is able to run in quite a few modes, including relaying and supports a wide range of standard encryptions. It is comes with a connector that permits a power over Ethernet set-up, although I haven't tried that.

It has no problems routing (the somewhat notorious) Sonicwall VPN access through to my office (via the Netgear router of course).

I have come across business level Access-points that are less effective at the job.

Even as an IT professional, I found it a little fiddly to set up, but once it was correctly configured, it has run continuously for several months with no discernible problems.

It is a well built, functional piece of hardware.
on 17 December 2010
Having just switched to BT, needed a wireless repeater to reach the far corners of the house, and thought one of my two old wireless routers would do it. But no. The D-link DIR 635 refused point blank, and the Netgear DG834G will only do it with other Netgears. This thing works a treat. It is a swiss army knife so the options are a bit daunting, but take it step by step and you will get there. This model is a bit more powerful than the cheapest one and typically runs at 130Mbps (or 54 on wireless G) over 10m through 2 walls.
on 22 April 2014
Had this around 6 months now, and it has been very reliable. I use it in our office which has wired network ports to provide WiFi in AP mode to laptops and phones - we have 2 or 3 laptops, 2 or 3 phones and tablets connected 12 hrs a day, and so far only one reboot has been needed.

It was also easy to set up on the non-standard subnet we use in the office (although I know what I'm doing with networking, I think it would be pretty straightforward for a non-technical person too)
on 17 April 2012
After 3 weeks finally got the product to work as a wireless repeater with a BTHH3 after seeking help from TPLink helpdesk. Now have wireless connection in areas of house where it was previously dead. However it is extremely tricky to setup and can save and reboot before you have checked all the various settings. Probably went through setup procedure at least 8 times and got frustrated as main router wireless dropped off every 2 minutes so I eventually contacted TPLink who advised to fix a channel on the BT Hub . Time will tell but I still think it interferes or creates some conflicts with main router wireless signal and has slowed down internet speed. Note it only comes with a European plug so I had to buy an adapter. If I had known this I would probably have chosen a different product. Maybe a good quality Modem/Router with better wireless signal and a UK plug is a better option.
on 4 November 2013
I bought a couple of these to sort out wireless for the local sports club. No problem setting them up and coverage was so good I only needed one unit even though the signal had to traverse metal shutter doors and thick Victorian walls. IT infrastructure has been my career for 25 years and I don't often find products which exceed expectations but I was impressed with these. Mine also came with a 3 year guarantee. Can't complain.
on 17 July 2012
I brought this item to use a wireless access point in my summer house. I used powerline adapters to take lan up to the summer house, plugged in and switched on. Some setting up required, (20mins) but easy if you have some networking knowledge. the signal range and quality of signal is fantastic. Highly recommended and WOW what a great price.
According to some reviews this device comes with a european plug ????? I can confirm that these are shipped with a UK plug.

Very very highly recommended.
on 1 May 2011
I was looking for a painless way to improve WiFi coverage around my house. I was considering both better spec Access Points and also additional antennas.

Reviews suggested the WA801 would do the job and allow future enhancement to 801.11n. I could fit external antennas if required. Fitting the unit in a cupboard in the centre of the house was made easy by the ability to feed power down the ethernet cable with the adapter kit supplied (so, no local power socket required)

Set-up was straightforward. Performance is excellent and I have greatly improved coverage throughout. Locations previously reporting marginal signal levels with frequent drop-outs and slow performance are now reporting good levels and I get good performance. I have no reason to further enhance the signal so, no need for external antennas.

I had previously tried a variety of other domestic APs and Wifi enabled routers/switches but the WA801 is significantly better than any of them.
on 9 April 2014
Quick installation guide tells you to open browser and type in [...], I did this and got nothing, I had to spend a day downloading Youtube video's and following instructions from them, first 3 vids, no help, eventually one youtube video, got me in to the log in page for Tp-Link, I still found it quite difficult paring the device with my Netgear Router and no matter what i tried it had to be connected to Router by Ethernet cable to be able to pick up a Wifi signal from the device, saying that, it was purchased to use as an access point in a 3 bed Holiday Cottage I own 100 feet away from my Home and Router so I was always going to be using the device over Ethernet, I tested it last night in Cottage and signal is full 5 bars in every corner of house, but Tp-Link really need to make sure people can access the site they need to access to enable them to set up the device without the hassle of turning to youtube.
on 28 October 2013
I am using 3 of these. I have two set up in my loft, connected by Ethernet cables to my broadband router/modem, and one used as a wireless bridge (allowing my non Wi-Fi enabled PC and Printer in my home office to connect to the wireless network). The devices seem to be of good quality; time will tell. They are certainly very good value for money, very easy to configure.

Handy tip: The device comes with a PoE power injector. This allows you to power the device over the network cable, so that if you do not have a power socket close to the device, but do have one near the other end of the network cable, you can carry both power and network signal over your Ethernet cable. I have not tested this over long cables, and I suspect this will depend on the quality of cabling.

I have always used Netgear for network devices, but have now standardised on TP-LINK throughout my home as their quality seems to be at least as good and their prices are lower. They are also better designed I think. Anyway, strongly recommended.

See one answered question