Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

on 3 March 2015
I use this to plug a portable external hard drive into my Wii U console. The USB port in the Wii U is not high powered enough to power the hard drive and I did not want to use an external hard drive that has to be plugged into a wall socket. This works perfectly, it uses power from two USB sockets, which could be a disadvantage but I have nothing else that I need to plug in. Now I have so much more storage space to save my downloaded games.

There are other similar situations where this would be useful, often USB ports found in TVs are not powerful enough to power a hard drive that does not have its own power source, so this would be ideal if you want to plug a portable hard drive into a TV.
on 7 June 2013
Got this for putting an external portable hard drive onto my WiiU - worked perfectly, this is not a SPLITTER it is to provide enough power to use a portable from just USB where one will not work (the WIIu being an example of this).
on 28 March 2016
This Y cable works well with my external hard-drive which requires more power than one USB port alone can supply. One connection supplies power and data transfer, while the other just supplies additional power from a second USB port. It's a good replacement for the original cable which had developed a fault.
on 14 October 2010
I have an external 2.5" hard disk connected to the usb port on the Nintendo Wii (don't ask why!). The drive seems to crash a lot, and when it does, it seems to produce a weird "clicking" or "ticking" noise. I was going to buy a new drive, but started looking into forums and found that this is caused because the drive is not getting enough current from a single usb port, and some people had fixed the problem by using this sort of cable which added extra current form another usb port. So, to cut a long story short, bought this cable as a last resort, not believing it would solve the problem, and hey presto - it works a treat. I've had this a few weeks now and still no problems.

Although I've been using this with a Wii, from what I've read on forums, its exactly the same for using with PC's
on 25 January 2013
I have a lot of miniUSB devices and it is really useful to have plenty at hand. One plug gives you power to the device and the other the USB connection. Admittedly, some devices don't need that much power or the USB port is powerful enough to deal with it but there are times when they don't and having a spare Y cable is a definite boon.
on 6 September 2013
Very affordable and does exactly what it says. The build quality is good and it worked fine for my laptop so I have absolutely no complaints. It could be a little longer but they clearly state how long it is anyway so no biggie.
on 18 February 2016
Bought for my Philips Pico PPX1020 to provide 1A power source. Works perfectly BUT it is extremely short so bear that in mind (it is no more than 30 cm). I had to buy an extension cable for it but for the price, this cable is worth the money
on 5 September 2013
I have a portable external drive and damaged the short USB cable which came with it. Even with that one I occasionally had problems with the drive failing on the dell computers we have at work as their USB ports don't seem to push out much power (it worked fine on most computers with the original cable but not always with longer ones).

So I thought I would try this cable and it works flawlessly. Seems pretty solidly made as well so hopefully will last longer than the original. Some may moan it is so short but for me that just makes it much neater in use. Be aware that the claimed 1 feet (sic) length is the length of both sections added together so you could not have a drive a foot from the ports. There is enough length to sit the drive on top of a desktop PC or on a desk if the ports are no more than four inches from your desk surface. More and I'd get a different cable.
on 1 May 2016
I purchased this as I had a portable hard drive which wouldn't work with my Wii U (it just kept trying to find the hard drive and the hard drive kept clicking).

From doing research it seems it's because the hard drive was not drawing enough power from one of the USB sockets on the back of the console. This cable allows it to draw power from both USB sockets and it worked first time. Much better and cheaper than buying a new hard drive. If you're having problems similar to what I was experiencing, I advise trying this cheap cable first.
on 17 November 2015
I needed it for my old 'Maxtor' detachable storage hard drive which still works well after years of use, but it's USB 'Y' cable had worn out. This new 'Y' cable with it's 'mini B' ( not 'micro B' ) USB connector works well and all the male plugs fit tightly for good connections. I found it quite amusing when trying to source this item via that mega-big high street electronics monopoly that has killed off all the opposition. The witless staff had never heard of USB 'Y' cables or, seemingly, anything else for that matter. So much for that chain stores choice of competently conversant computer department staff eh ? Anyway, this is what I was seeking and it is good quality too.

Eamonn