on 29 October 2010
I have had various types of Sonicare toothbrushes for nearly 15 years. They have always been superb in their efficiency of cleaning but we always had to change the head for individual use. Now not only do we have individual bases but an easy to use cleaning system for the heads as well. In that 15 years I have never needed a professional clean my BPE (Professional Scoring of Basic Periodontal(Gum)Disease) are all 0's, I am 60 years of age and a dentist. This version of the product is nearing perfection!
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2010
I've always used a traditional toothbrush, never enjoying the electric variants which either always seemed to break, or seemed to harsh for my mouth and teeth to cope with. Psychological maybe, but it means that for the past 30 years, since my very first teeth, I've relied on manual brushing action and I didn't ever think any product would steer me away from that. Now I've tried this product however, I am converted!

Firstly, this product does take some time to get used to. The first time you switch it on and put it in your mouth you'll either yelp and carry on, or just simply not like it at all and stop. But the toothbrush is clever enough to gradually increase the power as you start brushing more, so if you bear with it (and the results in terms of teeth cleanliness are definitely worth it) by the time it's at full power you won't notice the sonic pulses at all.

This overall package is also definitely worth the money - it's for sale at over £200 in a well known high street chemist. It'd make a brilliant Christmas present for a tooth conscious couple at the very least.

So, once you get over the odd sensation and the fact that the toothbrushes don't actually move but still leave your teeth feeling almost dentist-clean, you'll realise this is an excellent product for a great price.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 December 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been a user of the BRAUN ORAL-B ProfessionalCare 6000 for many years and I have been pleased with the results, but my old faithful electric toothbrush is getting ... well, old. So when I saw this I decided to give it a try.

This is my first experience of Philips Oral Care and the Sonicare products, so a certain amount of time was spent reading the user guide, and thank goodness I did because some of the settings can be on the strong side. After nearly 2 months of use the "massage" setting is still far too strong for me to use.

After the first time of using the Sonicare I could feel the difference between the result of the Oral-B and this Sonicare won hands down. My teeth felt so clean I was continually running my tongue round them and sucking them. I did wonder if it was just my imagination, so I used my Oral-B for a week to see if there was any difference. It only took a couple of days before I noticed a build-up of plaque. I decided on one more experiment and used an ordinary toothbrush for a couple of days, just to see what would happen, and by the end of the experiment my teeth felt filthy.

The kit for the double set comes with two brush bases; two brush heads (grey rings and protective caps attached); a charging base for one brush with UV sanitiser, and a separate charging base for one brush without sanitiser. There are also 3 spare coloured rings (blue, yellow and grey - making 3 grey in total) so that each user can distinguish their brush from the other persons, along with two travel cases which are big enough to hold the brush handle, brush head and toothpaste.

The company recommend that you replace the head every 90 days, which is less frequent than my Oral-B; this is due to the cleansing of the UV device.

Ultra Violet (UV) light has been the subject of a number of studies. It is shown to kill a significant amount of bacteria (though the amount varies depending on the report you read). The UV light can get very hot so it would be advisable for you to wait a few minutes for it to cool down a little before opening the door to get your toothbrush heads out, if you do not you risk getting your fingers burnt.

You will need 2 2-pin plug adaptors in order to recharge your brushes at the same time in your bedroom. It would have been better if you could have charged both up on the same base at the same time or at least plugged the stand-alone charger into the base of the sanitiser for couples who are travelling together.

The smaller of the two bases (the one without the sanitiser) can fit into one of the travel cases, but with cable and plug too, there is little room left for the brush and the base. It would have been better, from my point of view, if Philips would have put in a carry bag that would hold handles, brushes, and chargers, rather than the two small bags, this would have allowed all items to be carried together.

The Sonicare toothbrush gives such an amazingly good clean, without all that nasty scrapping that the dentists do, that I'm so thankful I gave it a try - my teeth have never been so clean. In fact I've been so impressed that I've bought the single brush Philips Sonicare HX6972/10 FlexCare+ Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitiser for my Mum
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 November 2010
nice toothbrush

pros:
1. makes a visible difference to cleanliness of teeth, whiteness, and post-brush feel
2. cleaning programme ensures all areas of teeth cleaned
3. comes with his and hers base/head/charger/travel pouch

cons:
1. as a doctor, not convinced the UV sanitiser really does anything
2. second charger on seperate base, so needs 2 plugs AND seperate base rather small/flimsy

it really does make a noticeable difference to how your teeth look/feel after brushing, the cons mean it is not a genuine 5 star product. but still very happy with it and would still strongly recommend.
on 2 September 2010
Buyer beware. I like this product very much. It does what it says and the sanitiser is a really nice feature. I appreciated when after about a year and a half, Philips replaced my faulty toothbrush. However, now, after 14 months, it has failed again. Philips can not tell me what the expected life of the product should be. They can only tell me that it depends on usage. I am the only one that uses this toothbrush. If you are buying this for a family, keep in mind that the product might now last more than a few months. My last two failed in less than the warranty period but of course the warranty is based on the date of the initial purchase. I will buy again because it is such a good product but I think that Philips has a quality problem with this product.
44 Comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2011
Excellent product overall even though the packaging is on the large scale! Having used the product for over a month now I can really feel a difference to my teeth. If anything it is a little too powerful at the start and you have to avoid the back of the brush hitting the opposite teeth you are brushing as the vibrations go through your head! After a little while you can adopt a different technique and you will notice a difference to your teeth and your gums. Well thought out product with timing intervals to ensure a good level of coverage. The UV sanitizer is very easy to use. Well recommended.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this toothbrush and it really leaves your teeth clean that you can feel it, almost as if they had been professionally cleaned. The heads on the brush fit into the crevasses between your teeth so you don't have to angle your brush into awkward positions. The vibrations of the brush really tickle though but after a while I got used to it so I can clean my teeth without giggling. I'd recommend hunting around for replacement heads as they can be very expensive.

The brush is really easy to use, it comes with different settings but the standard one times you on how long to brush your teeth, giving a little bleep when you should change 'quadrants', if you not a total idiot and don't want this setting you can switch it off really easily.
The small travel charger is perfect and convenient for taking away and the travel cases are useful although you've got to take the head off to fit the brush in the back. The UV sanister is handy as I know they can be expensive when bought separately and cumbersome to keep in the bathroom along with everything else but with this set it's all incorporated into one product. It doesn't however come with the typical three pin plug you will need an adaptor unless you've got a socket for this type of plug.

Overall highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2010
How do you review something like a toothbrush? It's a very special toothbrush - it's the most expensive one I have ever used, and came in the biggest toothbrush box I've ever seen.

The secret - and the thing that makes it special - is that there is a vibrating head which has a shaped head to get between your teeth and clean them very well. After use, the head can be removed and placed in a UV cleaning unit. This doubles as a charger, but unlike any other device I have used, there is no plug or socket. I am assuming that it charges by induction. That's a good thing, because you don't want an open socket, and rubber, plastic or silicon seals are going to fail, creating a risk of water damage to the electronics inside. All good, pratical, and imaginative design. Bear in mind that the charger is a 2-pin type, for "shaver" sockets, and if your bathroom is too modern, such sockets don't seem to be permitted near water any more, so you'll possibly need to buy a mains adaptor plug in order to charge it up elsewhere.

It looks very stylish, and there are various controls to get to know. You can have a serious clean, a mild clean, or a light massage. There is an on/off, along with a level setting. It is comfortable to hold, although the buzzing does take a little getting used to.

The package is rounded off with a travel case, a selection of coloured neck rings to "personalise" your brush and distinguish it from the other one of the pair (this was a double pack).

Coupled with a good toothpaste, floss, and all the other stuff one should attend to, this should help as part of your daily oral hygeine.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
[...] for a toothbrush? Come on, there was no way on earth this was going to get 5 stars unless one of my back teeth actually grew back again

But I have had it for just under a week now and I haven't stopped licking my teeth and I am still shocked at how incredibly clean they feel - I've been using an electric toothbrush for years so what on Earth have I been doing wrong.

Well, I haven't been using Sonic

The first thing I noticed when I read the instructions was this odd little feature called Easystart. For the first 14 uses it slowly increases the power so you can get used to it. Oh honestly I thought to myself, who would need that? But because I wanted to review this from the start I didn't deactivate it so the very first time I used it it was technically at a very low sonic level and I swear to you here and now I actually yelped!

This sonic lark feels totally different from just a common or garden rotating electric toothbrush and if you haven't used this sonic technology before then let your mouth get used to it over a week as directed.

There are 3 timings for the main wash, a quick 1 minute clean, a more traditional 2 minute clean and a 3 minute clean and massage.
The massage function can be used as a separate function in itself and it feels wonderfully odd and sounds a bit like a light sabre fight in your mouth
The last function is a sensitive mode which gives a great clean on a slightly gentler level

Now onto the sanitiser... I'm not entirely sure about this and this stems from the very lazy doctrine "I've never needed one before"
It works well, you take the brush head off, open the door, place it, close it and press the power button and the logo lights up to show the UV light is on. They say it kills 99% of germs which means every time you brush you are having an even cleaner experience. I don't know whether you are or not, but it does give me an extra confidence feeling. The UV sanitiser automatically turns itself off after 10 minutes so once you get into the habit of brushing and then taking the head off and UV-ing it you'll never have to worry about it.

I am absolutely thrilled with this toothbrush. My teeth have honestly never felt so clean and it leaves me in no doubt whatsoever that this toothbrush will improve my dental health.
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have long wished for a sonic toothbrush so I was thrilled to have the oportunity to finally try one out. I have used a traditional electric toothbrush for many years so I expected the transition to be painless.
After thorughly reading both the instruction mannual and the info on the Amazon.co.uk page, I charged it up and prepared to experiment.

I started with the Easy-start feature, which was just as well as I found the action to be extremely ticklish and the buzzing when the hardware made contact with my teeth, rather than the bristles, was a bit disconcerting. In fact, on the first attempt I didn't manage to complete the cycle, though I think I managed the 1 minute required to 'properly move through the Easy-start ramp-up cycle'. Even so, my teeth felt very smooth and clean.

Now that I have progressed through the 'ramp-up' and am using the toothbrush in place of my old model, I am finding it a considerable improvement. I particularly love the feature that enables either a 1-minute or 3-minute brushing (Go-Care or Max-Care), perfect for either rushing-out-the-door or a leisurely clean.

My old electric toothbrush was on its last legs but even if it had been new I wouldn't have hesitated to make the change to this new technology. There is no way I could possibly achieve the 31,000 brushstrokes per minute manually so it's little surprise that my teeth are experiencing a new lease of life, I only hope the effects will be seen by my dentist on my next visit and I can avoid the ritual of cleaning as one other reviewer reported.

In addition to all the above, there is the bonus of the sanitiser. I used to put my toothbrush heads in the dishwasher for thorough cleaning so this was a definite plus - I no longer go to clean my teeth, only to find the head is still downstairs!

All in all, a highly recommended product.