on 30 August 2010
Philips RAGA 4 gb mp3 player.

It works well. Had a pleasing, chunky shape, and a glazed metallic finish. Yes, it is small. The controls are small. They are a little fiddly, a little stiff but there are not many of them. The screen is diddy but its bright and the colours help enhance the letters. The sound is, as it says, `full sound` which is the best way to describe it. Ok, it is not cutting edge hi fi sound . The base gives a BIG sound. But does not thicken up the rest of the music. The treble can be a little edgie. . But overall it is a good sound. I like it, as it is DIFFERENT No any other Ipod or mp3 player sound I have heard. It works well with my sixties songs, as it opens up the image and does add emphases to the base, bit like I would hear the songs if played in a hall. Its ok. There are some limited option on the equaliser but I havent used them, so far, prefer the sound given. Well done Philips on this.

The Song bird installation which happens when the player is connected looks tedious . So I used media player. What I did like especially about the Philips player is that it puts each collection of songs straight into a folder on the player. And through the tiny little screen you can see the folder and open it and play the songs from that folder if you wish, as it gives the name of the album in the folder once opened. I guess that after a certain number of songs have been added, the selection/scrolling process may get a bit laboured. But for now it works fine.

I thought the USB connection cord was strangely short. The player dangles from it once it is connected. Downloading the songs from media player onto the device is fine.

I have not tried the earphones that come in the package. I used my own, over the ear phones. They cost about 30 pounds so the sound was really good for the money, and a sound I now like a lot.

I think Philips have presented a neat, all round package mp3 player. And considering, it is budget, the sound is entertaining. I have given it four, but it should value out at four and a half stars. It cost just under £30
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2011
At a shade under £30, this is a great buy. Unless you have a very large music collection, 4GB is plenty. The supplied earphones are quite acceptable, and seem to be very efficient, producing a lot of sound at modest volume levels. They kept falling out of my ears, though. My answer was to buy a pair of Sennheiser HD 228 headphones, which have a traditional headband design. With those, I could turn off the fullsound setting. Though they are not as loud as the Philips earphones, the sound is more neutral.

It does not have radio or the ability to play videos, but this is great for playing your music collection. I can't fault the sound quality. It's a good, inexpensive music player. What more do you want?Sennheiser HD 228 Closed back On ear Stereo Headphones - White
on 19 February 2011
After using a gigantic apple ipod with a capacity of 160 GB, I decided to buy something smaller for an affordable price. This is a great little mp3 player. It's very functional, easy to use and surprisingly the quality of sound turned out to be much better than I thougt. For this price, I don't think you can buy anthing better.Strongly recommend it.
on 25 March 2011
I bought this item as an alternative to a small ipod, thought I'd branch out and try something different. For the money, it seemed to offer good space and something lightweight I can take walking with me.

I suppose that's what I got, but was quite disappointed with the set up process. The 'set-up guide' reckons that when you plug it in, it installs Songbird and off you go. This didn't happen for me, I downloaded it from the website, but then it wouldn't recognise the player.

Eventually (after ALOT of fiddling) I tried Windows Media Player, which meant I got songs on there. The sound is good to be fair, as good as an ipod.

Then I tried making a playlist, again got all the songs on, but my playlist is nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm going about it in the wrong way, but I think I am quite technically minded person and this sort of thing doesn't usually cause me problems.

Basically, it's fine but that's it. I think I should have stuck with what I knew.
on 3 May 2011
Great sound quality, been using this gogear with various headphones and the sound level/output is really good, the usability of the software supplied in the item to the PC is really easy to use and install.

Battery life is as stated by Phillips at over 22 hours and the buttons and jack input are clearly high quality and best of all this gogear is tiny, light and well made.

Spot on.
on 30 April 2011
One of my better purchases.

I was surprised how small it was and thought "this is going to be naff".

However, I was pleasantly surprised. It has good "full sound" and easy to use controls.

Battery life is excellent.

Few instructions in the pack, recommend going to the Philips site, which provides all the information you will need.

No complaints!
on 16 April 2011
Bought this to replace a very basic and user-friendly Archos MP3 player as its battery had stopped working. This is just as compact and simple to use and also has a better screen and a fuller bassier sound.
on 18 April 2011
For the money, easy to use and has good battery life. Also has good sound however the headphones are very uncomfortable and the interface makes it hard to see what you are playing.

Does the job and worth the money
on 2 April 2011
I needed a new MP3 player and saw this and thought it was a bargain. And it is. Its on the small side but handy, good value, quite easy to operate. I don`t think the headphones are much good-they don`t sit well in my ears, anyway-

The product is ideal if you aren`t looking for anything flashy or complicated. It does the job its intended for.

Good value so 5*s
on 21 April 2012
I have been using this for a few weeks now and i am very pleased with it. It feels sturdy and strong in the hand, the menus are easy to understand and use and the sound quality is very good for the price. It also charges quickly and the battery lasts a long time. If you want to hold 1,000s of tracks, have top of the range audio quality this is not for you but if you want a good cheap all rounder then i would highly recommend.