on 20 September 2013
Rated it 5 stars as I had seen it before. Also almost everything Jacques Tati did was absolutely brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone who likes French humour. No need to learn French as, in common with most Tati films, there is no important dialogue - the humour is mainly visual. This was the last full length film he made.
on 11 January 2015
This is Hulot's last appearance and his role has changed from instigator of chaos to observer. Most of what happens is not his fault, he's a victim of circumstance and other people's mistakes. Like Tati's earlier Playtime, this film is really about the way we behave and how we interact with the modern world we've created. Specifically cars and traffic in this case, and there are lots of wry comments on the madness of it all.
There is a story to keep up the interest, we want to know whether Hulot and his partners will every make it to the motor show, and the characters themselves evolve as a result of their journey. It's often funny but in that understated Tati way, nothing hits you in the face, you need to just relax into its gentle pace and watch for the jokes, which are often subtle. The restoration is very good with slightly muted colours in tune with the 1970s setting.
on 11 December 2012
One of my favourite films , indeed all of Tati's films are very rewarding viewing. I have also purchased the collection, it is a pity it is not part of the collection offering.
on 7 March 2013
Having watched this film years ago I thought it would amuse my grandson. Any thing with Jacques Tati is brilliant.
on 28 January 2014
I have been a fan of Tati for many years and purchased this DVD to replace my old VHS, highly amusing.
on 5 December 2014
I am still laughing two days after seeing ‘Trafic’ for the first time, and I now long for the chance to see it again on the big screen. What I love the most about this little masterpiece is the way it subtly and cerebrally sustains the audience in guttural snigger throughout, but punctuates it with sudden and surprising bursts of hysterical laughter, through judiciously paced interventions of ingenious slapstick. It is also remarkable that Tati, being a master of satire, conceived the repercussions of our obsession with cars as early as the 1970’s, a feat that is even more resonant now that our roads and streets are chock-a-block with vehicles in ever increasing numbers.

It takes a little while to adjust to the now decrepit filming techniques used in the making of ‘Trafic’, but once in tune, it proves to be an unforgettable and unparalleled cinema experience. In tone, it is like a silent movie with sound, a trait that Tati harnesses by lightly speeding up action, and in content, a Daliesque parable, as demonstrated by a nod to the ameliorating importance of public transport at the very end.

For my misfortune, this is the first film by Tati that I have seen so far, and it is definitely not going to be the last.
on 19 December 2013
Since 1st seeing a Tati film 50+ years ago I have been `hooked`. I had all his work on tape and then DVD except `Traffic`. Imagine how pleases I was when I see. at last, there`s a DVD version.
on 2 December 2015
I saw this film literally eons ago, and still chuckle when I remember the scene with all the mad windscreen wipers in the traffic jam - can't wait to watch it this Xmas for a real nostalgic treat!
on 14 January 2016
A charming film with some genuinely funny 'laugh out loud' bits in it. There is also an amazing multi-car accident that (for its time) is brilliantly staged.
on 3 January 2016
An interesting film Some good humorous moments. Not in the same league as playtime. As a study in human observation it works well