on 11 December 2014
Clever, factual account of a number of Parisian personalities presented in unusual ways (one as a film script). All chapters are fascinating in their own ways - including a new treatment of Mitterrand's supposed near-assassination in the Observatoire area, and an original take on Marcel Proust's Paris. Requires quite a lot of conventional background knowledge of Parisian topography, history and literature in order to appreciate the novelty of this collection. Not for the newcomer to Parisian lore!
on 21 January 2014
Such a sad letdown after his gripping 'Discovery of France', Graham Robb has produced a book which stumbles along, repeating many rather obvious facts about famous Frenchpersons in a slightly fey 'guess who this person is' style that is simply frustrating. I don't want history as regurgitated pap, I want to hear new and intriguing facts. None were forthcoming and eventually I gave up hope of reading anything either new or entertaining. I bought this as an ebook, didn't finish it (unlike his first book, which I have re-read,and would recommend to everyone) and have deleted it from my kindle.
on 5 March 2014
I like others bought this on the strength of having read and enjoyed The Making of France.
The style of writing which varies from anecdotal to factual confused me at first.
That being said it was full of information, which whilst not necessarily applicable to todays Paris makes for interesting reading if you have been or intend going there.
on 4 August 2017
Graham Robb writes about France like noone else, with wit, erudition and an all-encompassing love of his subject. This book is a delightful and entertaining follow up to his previous gem "The Discovery of France".
on 28 May 2014
I took this book to Paris and read it aloud to my partner there. It is full of unexpected stories and really very interesting. One or two chapters I found a bit heavy going (one in the form of a script) but probably I am missing references and other people wouldn't be puzzled.
on 27 April 2014
An excellent book - Robb brings these characters to warm life and gives us a fascinating insider's view of some well-known, and lesser known, Parisian characters. Essential reading before a visit to Paris, both for first-time visitors and perhaps even more for those, like me, who thought they knew something of its history. Thoroughly recommended.
on 29 November 2013
very informative but a bit too long in places where the persons concerned were not of real importance but it was well wriiten and held my attention so I would recpmmend it
on 30 August 2014
Very slow - I did not finish. With aggressive editing it could have been interesting.
on 23 November 2013
OK it's not a page turner but if you want a reasonable introduction to Parisien Life then this could be it.
on 17 October 2014
Oh yes!!! Ces't la parisien!