on 27 July 2015
I find myself rather surprised by those reviewers who give only a grudging review yelling people not to expect anything special just because of the Leighton Denny name. I couldn't disagree more.
This was the item that first gave me high confidence in all Leighton Denny's products.
I got my first one as part of a kit that I bought mainly for the nail colours in it, thinking of the hoof stick as just a kind of filler, a cheap extra to lad the kit out and make it look better value, so I wasn't expecting anything much from it. But when I tried it I was astonished, and clearly remember thinking, 'If this guy takes this much trouble to get a humble hoof stick exactly right, I'm impressed. The guy is clearly a perfectionist.'
The 'hoof' tip has exactly the right degree of firmness being neither too soft to do anything, like so many I've tried over the decades, nor so hard you risk damaging your cuticles. Like the bears' beds in the Goldilocks story, this one is just right.
I must have owned a dozen or more hoof sticks over the last fifty years or so. This is the best by a mile. So, I agree, don't buy it just for the name. Buy it because the quality is great.
As an aside, the other item in that kit that really impressed me was the little brush that came with the corrector fluid. Again, it was 'just right' being neither too soft for precision nor too hard to absorb the fluid. As a keen and long-time amateur artist I'm fussy and, I think I can claim, knowledgeable, about brushes. And I was just as impressed about what seemed to be Leighton Denny's almost obsessive attention to such tiny details of such apparently minor items. The guy must be hell to live with! But as a customer I felt I could trust the quality of his products. I've since bought a variety of other things from his range and have never been less than impressed. (The Renovate serum is especially good for problem nails.)
This little hoof stick is a great ambassador for the brand. But don't buy it just for the name. Buy it because it's the best hoof stick you'll ever own.
on 18 December 2012
It does the job, it's the kind I wanted and I couldn't find a similar one in Boots or superdrug. It's absolutely fine. But if you think it's going to be something super douper because it has Leighton and Denny branding, it isn't!
on 15 December 2011
The hoof stick does what it should, pushes back cuticles comfortably. I bought this to use with the L.D.cuticle remover - see separate review.
on 9 November 2013
Very good at pushing back. How much is uncertain to me. this is good at it though. What it is not so good at -is the scraping off . The growth residue that is left on the nail itself-the opposite end of the hoof does not work very well in my opinion.
on 12 July 2017
FAKE
on 17 March 2012
This product did not disappoint - very useful and a good quality finish.The usual L Denny quality as expected.Would recommend all of his products that I have bought.
on 20 September 2015
this hoofstick is not fit for purpose.... The tip is hard plastic, not rubber etc, and the stick is indented about an inch from the hoof-end... which means that, as you work it in small circles pushing back the cuticle, it starts to wobble and then snaps in two useless pieces.. This is not the quality of Leighton Denny and, although it was low in price, it was a complete waste of whatever money it cost.... The Hoof Stick Leighton Denny sells through QVC is nothing like this knock off.... Buyer Beware!!
on 2 June 2016
I was a little disapopinted. It works, and does what it's supposed to, but it looked a little on the cheap side for a Leighton Denny product. I have his nail files which are wonderful, well packaged and well worth the money. This seems like a bit of an afterthought. If it wasn't a 'name' brand I wouldn't have thought twice about it and am happy with it, but just expected a little better 'build' quality from LD.
on 17 February 2015
Basic tool, does the job. Would normally use the wooden sticks, but felt they were too rough on my cuticles.
Only bought this because I was buying the crystal nail file of the same brand, as you have to spend £10 to be able to buy this... I think you could find one that does the same job in the high street. So don't spend money just to get this item, it's good, but not that good.
on 24 January 2011
I bought this product thinking the quality might be top notch as it was a Leighton Denny product however upon receiving it, I felt it was no different from any in house brand you might find from Boots or Superdrug.

If you wanted to buy it because you want to build a Leighton Denny Manicure Set then do so as it's not really bad however if you already have one that is a different brand and perhaps cheaper then I would stick to that.