on 10 January 2011
I am a film maker myself and loved the idea of getting my 5yo nephew into simular activities. The build quality of this product is very good and it is easy for a child to use and understand. The design is good, shaped like a gun with a screen at the back the child immediately understood how to hold it and what he was looking at.
Letting it down is very poor image quality and a bad selection of frame rates. I understand it is only a 2megapixel sensor, and it's true that you can get superb results from low res cameras like this if you have a half-way-decent lens and image processing. Unfortunately this camera has neither. The lens is just a piece of plastic, nothing seems to be sharp and the autofocus... well, is there autofocus? Low light capability is poor and there appears to be no compensation for backlight, two things I would have expected to be standard in any point and use simple camera. I was hoping that I could collect the footage my nephew shot and edit it together for him to keep, but I doubt any of it would be remotely watchable.
A shame as the idea is superb and the external design is perfect, they have just skimped on the functionality and seem it as a toy to be broken rather than a toy that might actually spake some serious interest from a child.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2010
I bought this as a birthday present for my 5 year old godson and he is just at the age where he knows exactly what to do with it. It is great for young children that are interested in electronic gadgets (which most are these days!) and he is very happy with it! Job done!!
on 9 January 2011
This is a great wee video camera. So simple for a 4 year old to use. Within about 10 mins my son had worked out how to add fun characters and pic to his video screen. Very durable and is ok with battery usage. My son loves this. I would say it is advisable to buy a sd memory card to expand memory
on 7 January 2011
This is a great toy, children had one each for Christmas and have had hours of fun with them. Glad got them at reduced price though as not sure worth the rrp.
on 9 October 2011
I bought this on special offer for a fraction of the price at a store, and what a waste of money! Do yourself a favour and buy them a cheap real one from Argos, the technology in this is about 10 years out of date. In fact the only thing my kids have done with it is toss it aside. The delay is frustrating and the image is poor.
on 31 May 2011
What a great item. I bought this and the other camera for my grandsons (18 months and 4yrs) and they loved them. Very easy to learn to use, not too heavy and very sturdy. I bought the bags for the cameras too and they are a good size and easy to wear.
Takes moving or still pictures, you can connect to the laptop too. Includes three games.
I would recommend these cameras to anyone. My daughter said it was better than her 'grownup' one!
on 16 June 2011
Nice little easy to use basic camera for kids. Quality isn't brilliant but when the children see their efforts on a big screen it's well worth it. It has a few games on it to, basic games like you used to get on phones, you can also take stills. It's a well built camera and will take a fair amount of abuse from the clumsiest of children. All in all a good camera for the price and well worth it.
on 7 January 2011
What a great product! Better than a grown up's one! It seems indestructible and has many features to keep the little ones entertained. The only downside is that it goes through a lot of batteries. It could have done with a built in rechargeable battery. We love it!
on 6 January 2011
A fantastic gift. My grandson is only 3 1/2 and just loved it. One problem, battery operated so have plenty in stock as you will definately need them. All of the V Tech products that I have bought for my grandson have been brilliant and he is still having fun with them, some that I bought when he was younger. Great value and fun.
on 3 January 2012
We bought this for our daughter for a recent trip to Disney in Paris. She found it easy to use and loveld the special effects and games. Not too expensive and very robust. However she did manage to somehow wipe all of the videos and photos - either she did it or it was puttin it throught eh x ray machine at the airport. Photos and videos not as good as a standard camera or video camera but good for a child to learn with