Customer reviews

on 18 July 2014
I have the two main series: the Bryden Thompson and the SNO. But, I think that this is the best. Handley was a great conductor who loved these symphonies. It is great to have the brief discussion from him. I can recommend this to anyone. Yes, there are better versions of individual symphonies, but as a cycle this is the best. I am a great lover of Bax's music. For me the third and sixth symphonies are particularity riveting and clearly amongst the best symphonies written in the 20C. 1, 2 and 7 also excellent. 4 and 5 for me are more patchy: they certainly have their moments, but overall perhaps less compelling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2014
Others have commented in depth on the actual recordings, especially compared to the other available versions, so I will just mention how very natural these splendid recordings feel: typically of Chandos, the great dynamic range does full justice to this majestic and at times monumental music.

Even if you have other versions of this still somewhat overlooked British music, you will very likely not regret adding this one to your collection.