Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

on 13 June 2010
I had previously bought something similar from MobileFun that purported to be for the HTC Desire. Whilst the Desire did fit, it was not snug and did not come with a power adapter, just a USB cable that did not charge the spare battery (my bad for not reading the small print) :(
To MobileFun's credit, they honoured their no quibble returns guarantee allowing me to purchase this one instead.

THIS ONE FITS THE BILL COMPLETELY:
1) There is a "shield" that protrudes from the base which holds the HTC Desire very securely and at a convenient angle
2) The shield stops lateral and forward/backward movement allowing to use the phone very easily whilst docked
3) It comes with a 3-point pin/UK Plug adapter in which you plug in the supplied USB cable
**Note the supplied cable doesn't fit into the Desire directly as the cable is a mini (not micro) USB one
4) The cable gives the option therefore of plugging into the mains or a computer
5) When plugged into the mains the cradle charges *both* the battery (if in) and the phone

All in all a worthy product (especially as it's cheaper too!). My only improvements would be to make the base a bit heavier to make one-handed removal easier and a switch to turn off the charging & "on" LEDs as these are very bright, especially when using it as a night-stand charger. There is a duct-tape workaround though I'm sure ;-)
22 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2010
Prompt delivery from 3rd party.

Packaging very bland, but functional: Arrived in a plain white box with a 'FOR HTC DESIRE' sticker on.

Package contents include:

A UK spec mains adapter with full size female USB connector.

A USB cable with full male USB connector terminating in a mini USB connector(N.B. not micro). As a previous reviewer pointed out, this means you cannot connect the cable to the Desire directly. The cradle's innards convert it into a micro USB at the cradle base.

A frosted clear plastic phone support which has a couple of plastic lugs which engage with the cradle base. Perhaps a little cheap looking, but still looks the part once in place.

And finally, the cradle base which is a solid construction and pretty well laid out. I have paired it with an OEM spare battery FoneM8 - 1400mAh Battery For HTC Desire, Google Nexus One - Lifetime Warranty as a standby, which should prove useful given the Desire's insatiable battery appetite! There are two LEDs (which are very bright!); one for system power and the other for spare battery charger status which are positioned at the front and back of the unit respectively.

I like the fact that the cradle has a phone support. I had a similar setup for my previous mobile but it didn't have the stabiliser and was held upright by the charging jack alone. Over time I felt this would probably damage the phone. In the end it never did, but still one thing less to worry about.

My only minor niggles are that over time I think the stabiliser guide may cause wear to the edges of the phone. A battery cover would also have been a good addition to prevent dust build up. Lastly, the supplied USB cable is very short and could have done with being twice the length.

In conclusion, for the price, this cradle is a steal and well worth the purchase despite some trivial issues. Recommended.
on 26 November 2010
This is a quality product that does the job perfectly. The Desire sits snugly in the cradle and is held firmly enough to allow the phone to be used. The LED's are a bit on the bright side so it won't be getting used in the bedroom to charge the phone at night. Otherwise, an excellent piece of kit. 5 stars.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2010
This is a great bit of kit,pop the phone into it and it'll charge from a computers USB ,or the mains.
I mainly have mine plugged into my netbook,so it's charging while I'm surfing or working.
You can still use the phone while it's sittng in the dock, and if you buy a spare battery, that can be charging at the same time.
all in all an excellent product.
on 22 August 2011
If, like me, you intend to use this beside your bed then unless you sleep like a log you may very likely be disturbed by the light this product produces as I have been. Besides that it's great.
on 5 February 2011
The product description is misleading. When it states it is not suitable for the Desire HD it should also include the Desire Z. This products seems OK but it is simpoly not designed for teh Desires Z so mine had to go straight back. Delivery in the first instance was excellent - its a shame the supplier did not describe better.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2010
This cradle is a very good product and works perfectly with my HTC Desire and fits like a glove. I don't know what the other guy who said it doesn't fit is on about. I can only guess he was sent the wrong cradle by mistake. The second battery (purchased separately) charges quickly and I like the choice of mains charging or vis USB port on my laptop. When using the USB it also syncs to my laptop. Top bit of kit for the money.
on 20 September 2010
...however, be aware that the stand part is designed to fit the phone snugly -- meaning it will not fit if you have any kind of cover on the phone. Not the stand's fault, of course, but annoying nonetheless.

Aside from that, it does what it promises to, even providing an optional USB-to-mains plug so you can use it for direct charging. Note that if you're connecting to your PC via a USB hub then the hub will need to be powered, or it won't charge the phone (even though it appears to be doing so). I forgot to plug my hub's power supply in and was wondering why the phone appeared to be losing charge...
on 12 January 2012
I brought this because the charging pins on my phone broke and I could not charge it. I can charge the battery in the cradle without having the phone attached, which is just what I a needed.
Haven't had a chance to try charging the phone but it seems to fit snugley into the slot.

Could be improved by making the mains lead longer and there are too many lights, 1 on the plug that glows red, 2 on the unit a blue power light red light that turns green when the batteriy is charged, I think the latter one is the only one thats nessesary. But that just a cosmetic niggle. This cradle is excellent value for money.
on 18 June 2010
I was a little worried about ordering this re the comments that it wouldn't fit, but eventually hit the submit key.
The box it arrives in says for HTC desire and contains Cradle, USB cable and 240 V Mains to USB power converter. MY HTC Desire sits in the cradle perfectly and the design being slightly bigger than the one I had for Iphone means that you can use the phone in the cradle without in pushing backwards. I have mine connected through the USB on my laptop and the second battery charger works fine. Glad I bought it.