on 8 November 2012
Bought my New Balance MW978GT boots in Amazon's Warehouse deals section. They were marked as "Used" but when I received them they were as good as new. Not a mark on them. Great deal and a saving of about £30!
The boots are very comfortable and ideal for the three warmer seasons. I need a wide fitting shoe/boot so the 2E width fitting is just about right. Not many other walking-shoe manufactures seem to offer this wider-fitting facility, and the only other one I've found is Scarpa. I have a pair of superb Scarpa winter walking boots (Ranger II) and these are more comfortable than the New Balance MW978GT shoes, but cost me three times as much. So I guess you get what you pay for.
One thing to be aware of though - I normally take size 9 shoes. I needed a size 10.5 New Balance shoe before they felt comfortable.
on 25 January 2013
Generally I like New Balance shoes, in my experience they are constructed much better than the average walking shoe manufacturer. I have had these boots for 18 months and generally they are well made and strong. But there is a real problem with them, namely the soles. The soles really do not give any grip when the ground is muddy or wet i.e. in typical UK conditions. There is hardly any differential between the heel and the front sole and if you begin to slide whilst wearing them then they will not grip. These boots are really made as strong fashion shoes for walking around towns or on well made gravel paths. The lack of a heel or heel lugs means they are not suitable for UK hill walking.
on 11 December 2016
Wonderful pair of shoes that gave ample room for my feet while also being snug enough that they didn't feel loose. Totally waterproof too, perfect for the outdoors. They seem to have wonderful support in the sole so that even if I stood for hours I didn't feel the slightest fatigue.
on 26 April 2013
Although they are advertised as 2E Wide fit when ordering on the drop down box there is a choice between a D fit and an undescribed width. I selected the undescribed presuming thst this was 2E. The boots arrived and were D fit, no good to me. I suggest that Amazon sort their advert and make sure the supplier is aware of what the customer is ordering. This wasted a lot of my time. Also I am sure that I am not alone in the UK wanting wide fit footwear. There seems to be lack of choice in the UK but if you look on the US sites there are Merrell and other makes in wide fit.
on 26 July 2013
My shoe size is a 44 EU, but you have to order a much larger size to enjoy this great boot.
The boot itself is a great value for money, fits well and the product keeps up strong after a few mile walk.
In the Netherlands this product was already sold out, so I had to buy at Amazon, this shows the more than acceptable quality of this product.
Most important of this boot is his size, you've got to order the right size !!!
on 2 May 2012
I've worn several pairs of New Balance trainers over the past 30 years and have always found them very comfortable & strong.
The hiking boots have the same cushioning and strength, with the added benefit (essential just recently) of keeping the wet out and drying off very quickly after a soaking. Just heed the advice and buy a size above your usual shoe size ! Great quality again from New Balance, and excellent value for money.
on 16 December 2013
A truly waterproof boot ,so good I got a second pair,pricey yes but her comfortable,good grip , very wide price diff tho best to sh arond
on 19 February 2013
excellent quality and fit very comfy.and they arrived two days after ordering them !!!,brilliant..cant say about longevity yet but i am confident they will be fine.
on 14 February 2014
very good boot fit good and very easy to wear strait from the box also a great price thank you
on 11 August 2014
comfortable shoes but poor quality and discolorationon each shoe