on 10 January 2007
I thought this was a really great read. Weirdly, I didn't like the characters at first... well, when I say I didn't like them, what I mean is I found myself getting angry at them for some of the choices they were making, and felt like shouting at them to stop it! I was definitely drawn in to the story, and didn't want to put the book down. Would recommend to people who like Marian Keyes and Jane Green. Nice to find something new and fun in January, rather than just old stuff on sale!
on 28 March 2017
A great book into the insight of infidelity told by the 3 main characters, the complex situation can sometimes seem so simple yet so far away. A great book looking how communication in a marriage is absolutely key and that men are mars and women from Venus! Excellent read!
on 14 August 2012
If your expecting a book in the style of Fifty Shade you'll be very disappointed. This is a very tender and well written story of a marriage under pressure.The story told by the three main characters is different and sometimes annoying but the insight is definitely well worth it. It's a quick read only cause a could put it down!
on 15 December 2013
An interesting and compelling take about love,treachery and ultimately forgiveness. Nick is happily married and a divorce lawyer. So why does he become obsessed with his new colleague Sara? Meanwhile his wife is renewing her acquaintance with an old flame. Well written and evocative.
on 5 February 2013
An interesting and different book which held my attention. Well worth reading. For me it was good to read something out of my usual book range.
on 22 April 2017
Loved every minute of this book! Can!
on 16 August 2013
Lovely book that kept me hooked from start to finish and that's not the easiest of things to do !
on 14 July 2007
This book is so good, you'll have a hard time putting it down!
Told by the 3 people invovled, the wife, the husband & the mistress's point of view, it is racy, but also very real & makes you see each side of the story...Just Fantastic!!!
on 7 February 2007
Tess Stimson's book had me gripped - Perfectly describing the sticky web that many a city girl gets caught up in (I have a number of friends to vouch for this), I found myself tut-tutting the choices that Sara made and punching the air with glee when Mal, the 'stay-at-home-and-look-Victoria-sponge-sexy', got her own taste of titillation. The male lead was more Wimpy burger than Filet de beouf but alack (unless you're my father) thus is life.

Lovely read, either on the beach with a pina colada or by a log fire with a large glass of red. Recommending it to my city girls.

Looking forward to the next.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2008
I'm not a great reader of chick-lit as it always seems so repetitive but needing a break I gave this a try and found it an enjoyable and really quite thoughtful read. Yes, there are some clichés: the dutiful wife at home in her Wiltshire farmhouse cooking endlessly on her Aga vs. the bright, ambitious lawyer mistress with her urban flat in Holborn... and as some other reviewers have mentioned some of the ditzy situations the wife get herself into (pink fluffy slippers, glitter at the gynaecologists) are just irritatingly silly and derivative. But there is a bit more going on than this. The struggles, for example, of Nicholas, basically a good husband who loves his wife and family and yet is sexually enthralled by Sara are interesting. And the clichés Sara repeats to herself about how his marriage must be dead are revealed to be precisely that - clichés.
Disturbingly, though, women are divided into two categories: the wife and the mistress, and the separation between them seems a stable one, however hard Stimpson might have tried to dissolve it. The revolving chapters narrated by each of the three protagonists keep our sympathies floating between them all and, for me at least, switching between them. Where this doesn't work, however, is where the same situation is told by different characters: rather than giving us new insight into how it seemed to them, it actually tends to descend into pure repetition.
So overall this was a good read with some minor flaws of execution. I think it would have been better if Stimpson had ditched the obligatory chick-lit ditzy humour (the waxing scene...) and concentrated more on the painful drama played out. A good read.