Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.22

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 June 2014
I absolutely loved this story. 50 Ways to Find a Lover is a hilarious commentary on the what it is to be single and looking for love in modern times. There's a scary world of singleton's out there all looking for love ... is there really someone for everyone. That's what Sarah Sargeant hopes to find out with her quest, as she embarks on fifty different way to attract and meet someone of the opposite sex.

With a small but loyal army of blog followers she diligently documents each and every attempt to find Mister Right, often missing the bigger picture while she documents her trials and tribulations. With near misses, sweaty armpits and misunderstandings, poor Sarah has plenty of material to keep her readers entertained, but she's left not knowing whether to keep fishing in the sea or, like Dorothy in OZ, checkout what's in her own backyard. And it seems for every potential perfect man out there, there other potential women just waiting for Sarah to look the other way. As couples all around her get together as a result of her actions.

This was an absolutely riveting read, with a well-threshed-out, strong, slightly ditzy, but very lovable main character, and an accompanying cast who really bring the story to life. It's just a great, funny, super charged and occasionally emotional read. You'd be crazy not to give this story a go
on 1 August 2011
I only got this book because someone bought me the second one as a gift and obviously I had to read the first one before. I was not inspired by the cover but when I started to read the book I loved it!!! I really wanted to keep reading the book to find out what was gonna happen next. The end was predictable but that didn't spoil the book. I could really relate to Sarah's character. I'm a bit like her myself ha ha. The book is full of events from the start to keep you interested. I started the second one this morning so 'watch this space' for my review. 50 ways to find a lover is a must have for all chick lit readers. Enjoy....
on 14 July 2017
Quick delivery, really enjoyed this book as I could relate to a couple of her dates been single myself and on the dating sites.
Great read , a proper laugh out loud . Enjoy!!!!!
on 18 April 2017
fantastic read , very very funny
on 30 April 2009
I absolutely loved this book and urge you to read it. The heroine, Sarah Sargeant, is someone you feel you'd love to be friends with: she's smart, incredibly funny, down to earth and refreshingly real. I related to her very much, which I can't remember thinking about a character in this area of fiction for such a long time. It succeeds because the dialogue is sharp, it's tightly plotted and intelligently observed - and the characters are extremely likeable. Sarah's parents were wonderful.

Plus there's an intelligence to this that you don't tend to find in popular fiction; I enjoyed every minute I spent in Sarah's company. Funnily enough I've seen boys reading this on the tube: are they looking for tips?
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't read a lot of chick lit, but the title of this book caught my attention and I thought I'd give it a go, in the hope of it being light and fun. And it was.

The story is told by Sarah Sargeant, who is nearly thirty and doesn't have much luck with men or acting jobs. Her family, best friend Julia and flatmate Si convince her to set out on a quest to find a good man, and to write a blog about it as she goes along. Will Sarah's quests lead her to a fulfilling relationship or will she become addicted to the lifestyle of hunting for men and blogging about it?

The book is written in an easy to read style and I was able to jump straight into it. It's told in the present tense which normally annoys me, but with this novel I barely noticed it. I must admit it took me a while to warm up to Sarah as a character, because she is quite self obsessed, whiny and moany, but after a while I grew to enjoy reading about her. The characters are all quite realistic and well fleshed out, and there's quite a few different men who Sarah could potentially end up with, which adds some intrigue to the story (though unfortunately I read a couple of reviews on here first which gave the ending away).

The best thing about this book is how funny it is. I was often laughing out loud or grinning as I read it. It's also easy to become absorbed in the story and I found the book tricky to put down. The ending brought me to tears as well which is always a good sign that a book's had an effect on you.

However there are some annoying parts to the book. Firstly it's incredibly crude, with a lot of very bad language and some really disgusting metaphors and very explicit `encounters'. And secondly, Sarah makes a really stupid decision not to allow a man to explain something to her, which just makes no sense. If you really like a guy, wouldn't you let him explain away a potential misunderstanding rather than cutting him off and stopping all content? It is really irritating and seems like lazy plotting to me.

Despite these issues though, I enjoyed the book and couldn't bring myself to give it less than four stars.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sarah Sargeant is nearly thirty and still doesn't have much luck with either dating or acting! However, rather than giving up hope, and with the encouragement of friends and family, Sarah embarks on a mission to find herself a good man.

This book is based on Lucy-Anne Holmes' own blog which is actually just an account of her own life with a number of exaggerations and additions to make it more interesting.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, witty and a good, entertaining read throughout. Although I can understand the comparisons to Bridget Jones, I felt that the character of Sarah was much more relatable and someone that I would like as a friend. Some times I find chick-lit a little too depressing and true to life so I personally loved the fact that this story followed a tried and tested formula. Some may find it predictable but I just can't resist a happy ending!

Overall this is an enjoyable read and something light that will entertain you and keep you engrossed. If you like a fun, romantic read about the modern dating game then I would recommend this book to you. 4 stars.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Funny, predictable, sad and serious - this is a great debut chick-lit book. The storyline is simple, the language is easy to read and for a holiday or weekend read you couldn't do much better than this. There weren't quite 50 ways to find a lover in the book, in fact it only got to 8, but it was a very funny 8. It's a modern computer-age story of one girls plight to find a boyfriend through a blog in which she tells all her blog readers what her next plan is to hook a man and, more importantly, how each of the nights out turned out.

I found the humour of the story very similar to the style of Belinda Jones and if you like reading Marian Keyes or Sophie Kinsella then you would love this one by Lucy-Anne Holmes.
Great read. Very humorous and highly enjoyable. I only wish the author's original blog was still live so we could peruse the stories that inspired this novel!

Check out more book reviews on Confessions of a Book Geek!
www.confessionsofabookgeek.com
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The main issue I have with this book is that it follows a very similar plotline to an awful lot of other women's contemporary fiction or 'chick lit'. Lucy-Anne Holmes's book depicts the love life of bit-part actress Sarah Sargeant, a character seemingly very much based on the author's own life and experiences, who is nearing thirty and wants to find love. The usual suspects are depicted - i.e. 'crazy' best friend, 'gorgeous' male flatmate, parents who suffer a trauma etc etc, so it's structured along the usual chick lit framework. Sarah's trials and tribulations in the dating game are fairly amusing and the plot about her blog, based upon the author's owns experiences in this area are fairly amusing.

A positive aspect of this novel is that, although long at 400+ pages, it was structured around short, snappy chapters which are a boon if you're either a commuter or have limited time to read. The negatives are that some of the language was far too crude for a book of this genre - i.e. the `c' word was used on quite a few pages which is pretty unnecessary in my opinion. Also, the plot assumed far too many coincidences to be believable and why on earth did every man seem to find the main character so darn attractive and alluring, surely if that was so then she wouldn't feel the need to go speed dating? The ending, well, if predictability's your thing, you'll love it, but if you like your fiction to be readable, believable and above all satisfying choose authors such as Marian Keyes, Lisa Jewell or Adele Parks instead.