on 4 March 2016
This is the first biography I have ever read. I've never been interested in this type of literature before and don't really know why I bought one now. I was probably feeling nostalgic. But I'm glad I did. Coming from an entertainment and creative background myself, I was surprised to find how many similarities I could relate to. It amazes me how much Adam actually achieved before he finally broke. It can only be a testament to how strong he really is. It is an honest account of the work involved to become famous and how incredibly hard and stressful it is, and at times often unrewarding. I would like to thank Adam for being so honest and would recommend this book to everyone. It is well worth a read. I have now bought the very best of CD, I'm probably still feeling nostalgic and may even start gigging again (even at my age lol)
on 11 July 2015
Adams book is very interesting from a history of pop culture point of view, with Adam detailing the order of events in his life meticulously. it gives an interesting insight the the origins of punk culture, and the relentless obsession to be a success. Even though Adam achieves massive things he's never quite haapy with it, and his story becomes a cycle of looking for love, looking for success, looking for business partners and finding them, but with none of them living up to Impossible expectations. Time and time again he ends up depressed, obsessed and lonely to the point of insanity. I give fours stars and not five because the book becomes a bit repetitive, and has much less swashbuckling adventure storytelling than I would expect from our Dandy Highwayman whose musical work shows a prodigious imagination, yet this seems to be lacking in the way the events are related in this book...but nevertheless, any fan of 80s music bios will want to read this to get Adams unique perspective. Adam...thanks for your music, you opened up my mind as a child as to what pop music could be, and thanks for your book, which reveals what it really took to create it.
on 1 February 2012
I was a big fan of Adam Ant in the late 70s, before he went on to become mega with the whole cowboys, Indians and pirates thing. I first saw the band in an early incarnation at Wardour Street's Vortex Club supporting my other fave ('before they became famous') band Siouxsie and the Banshees. I liked the vaguely dangerous atmosphere at the gigs, loved the edgy show, the frankly weird songs about S&M, Dirk Bogarde, and Hampstead ('not a place for revolutions - you're deprived of being deprived'). So the parts of this book that interested me most were those that dealt with this early period, and it went all too quickly. Adam's rise to fame was accompanied by sex addiction, an inability to stay in one place for too long - he bought several houses, in several places, in which he barely lived before selling them - and an inability to stay in the steady relationships he craved. It's all here, set out frankly, and rather heartbreakingly at times, and I was reading, thinking, 'How did you screw that up AGAIN...' The repetitive nature of Adam's various and numerous affairs with women, conflicts with managers and record companies comes through in the book, and, far from making it a bad read, underlines the nature of what is gradually revealed: his incipient mental illness, culminating in his well-publicised instances of being sectioned and prosecuted. I can't really complain about the lack of detail in the early years - the early versions of the Ants just formed a phase he went through - but I'd like to have seen more detail of the creative aspects; how did he come to write this song or that, what was in his mind at the time. The number of collaborators he worked with grew, but he writes off their endeavours with yet another statement on the lines of 'so we got together and wrote more songs'. His observations on the early punk scene and some of its characters are quite well done - including two punch-ups with Sid Vicious - and his time spent with characters as larger-than-life as Derek Jarman, Jordan (Pamela Rooke, so much more than a 'shop assistant for Vivienne Westwood') and Malcolm McLaren. Adam's quest to 'get into the movies' draws a lot of time in the book, and his sense of despair at being offered yet another role as a 'sort of rock star figure' comes over very well; unfortunately, he starts to tell it as desperately as he must have appeared to be, finally making the wrong choices of roles in films destined to be B-movies before they were even finished. The end seems positive - the Kindle version has a long footnote about having his book out and knowing that there are still people out there who are fans, a new relationship that at last seems stable and a positive turn to his life. He did a series of gigs throughout 2011 - look them up on YouTube - in which he seems to have regained his old songs and his old power and presence, and I hope (being an old admirer, despite his having dropped off my radar for 20 years) that continues for him.
on 23 June 2016
A very well written book about a very interesting man - I found it a captivating read which I found difficult to put down and felt sorry when it ended. Adam's style of writing is very readable, witty and engaging and he describes his early life through the beginnings of the London punk scene, the height of his fame, to present day in a very honest and candid manner. He also writes about his struggles with illness and how he has coped through what must have been very dark periods whilst still having to manage and perform his public persona. I've been an Ant fan since the early 80's having instantly loved everything about it after seeing the Kings of the Wild Frontier video, not only the enigmatic Adam and his flamboyant style but the distinctive sound that is Antmusic which has also been very influential to many new artists since. However as his music presence gradually diminished in the 90's while he concentrated on his film career, Antmusic became but a happy and nostalgic memory of my young teen years. This book has not only reignited those happy memories but also provided wonderful insight to a very talented man who is also an inspiration in his fight to change negative beliefs and attitudes towards mental illness. A highly recommended and enjoyable read!
on 27 January 2016
As someone who remembers Adam Ant (I bought his first two albums on vinyl, and still have them) and enjoyed his music, I knew about Adam's battle with depression and bought this out of curiosity, as I wondered how he was doing. 'Stand and Deliver' is a very well-written and honest -no holds barred- account of his life - at times funny, sometimes sad but always interesting, Adam's story must surely help those who don't suffer to understand the condition, and hopefully reassure those who do that they are not alone. Very enjoyable and enlightening, thank you for sharing your story, Adam.
on 6 January 2011
One of my earliest childhood memories sitting in front of the TV in the early 80's was watching the music video's of Stand and Deliver and Prince Charming by Adam and the Ants. From those moments on I have always liked their music and their distinctive drum sound (as I found out in the book this is known as Burundi). I also found out from the book that 2 drummers were employed in the band, something I wasnt aware of before. Its bits of information like this that you pick up reading this book, so as well as giving an insight into Adam Ant we also get a behind the scenes look at the band, its history and where things went wrong. We also get to hear about other projects such as Adams acting career on stage and film.
Adam doesnt hold back and his warts and all account including his often sad private life is very revealing and refreshing. Its actually quite amazing how much he remembers of his life and in great detail, apart from his dark moments suffering from depression and his bipolar disorder where naturally memories are missing or vague. He comes across despite his frailties as an amiable and approachable character, even though his paranoia about what people thought of him and his music in part led to his illness. His realisation from one of his own lyrics that is the title of this review made him realise that he shouldnt dwell too much on these things.
Even though there are times in the book where he describes how low he feels, it does end on a positive note talking about his book signing at Waterstones and reviving his music career. Being the Kindle edition this is the updated version of his autobiography, and although I was worried there appeared to be no photo's present (they weren't cited in the index) it wasnt until the end of the book that they presented themselves.
In summary a very good autobiography on the life and work of an often troubled musician and actor.
on 8 August 2013
This is a brutally honest book about the pros and cons of life chasing the dream. Adam achieved the dream and lived through some unbelievable adventures. It takes an inspirational and strong character to be as honest as the author of this book has been.
I applaud Adam for talking about issues that others would have shied away from. In a time where pop music is increasingly sanitized and stars are presented in a perfect light thank god for this book from a true legend.
The honest tales of manic episodes are scary but anyone who is suffering from mental health problems could do a lot worse than read about these in order to realize that it can happen to anyone. Adam, this book is a testament to your character as a true survivor in a world where people give up too easily.
on 23 August 2013
As a childhood fan, it's always sad to actually get to know that your one time musical hero, is in fact a high maintenance ego maniac, who uses the book as a feel good means to just boast about shagging.

Comes across as a vain, big headed and immature man, that craves attention, and cannot cope being, as he is now, out of the limelight. An immense tool, I should never have read it, as it clouds the impact his music had on me as a kid!

I understand you need your rockstars to be a little 'different'- this guy is a big baby
on 22 September 2013
Adam Ant remains one of my teenage heroes. From Xerox and Young Parisiens and Sex , to the anthemic drumming on Kings Of The Wild Frontier,via Amtmusic, the wonderful Stand and Deliver video and Prince Charming dance routine to Ant Rap and Goody Two Shoes.

All this whilst fighting a childhood filled Ali alcoholic relatives and violent father figures in his life, ultimately leading to a mental illness that has dogged him publicly and personally that he tried to cure through countless sexual episodes, girlfriends and liaisons.

Adam and his predecessor Stuart, thank you for the music, the honesty and the good times.

As someone who acted in Inherit The Wind (read the book to understand!) and also someone who grew up in Southgate and also lived in Slough, I feel some sort of weird connection to his upbringing and life even though I've never met him.

Thank you Adam and may you grow older wonderfully
on 10 October 2015
I am an Adam Ant fan and have been since the start. I found the book facinating at times touching. How someone could perform and produce the music and the fantastic videos that he did and yet be going through the hell he was shows the professional he is. I still watch Adam now in DVD and reading the book just brings the whole picture of his life together Brilliant -great work as usual Adam.