• Lucky

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

on 17 August 2017
read this years ago and wanted it on my Kindle
on 26 June 2017
If you want to try to understand things that you can't possibly understand unless you have lived it, read it.
on 7 May 2017
I am enjoying the book, which I have just started reading, and I'm reading it because I enjoyed The Lovely Bones also written by Alice Sebold.
on 24 July 2017
Good read
Yes, like many I bought Lucky having earlier read The Lovely Bones by the same author. The earlier novel deserves its high praise, while this one is quite different - even though it tackles a similar issue. I rarely enjoy true stories, especially autobiographical ones, but this consistently held my interest through to the end. The trial in particular was actually full of tension, all the more so because we know it actually happened like that. A powerful insight into the intense trauma of cross-examination of a rape victim and why so many such cases fail to lead to conviction. Ms Sebold is clearly a strong-willed woman, an exceptional writer and I will pre-order her next work without even waiting to find out the subject matter. She's that good.
on 16 July 2012
i read this book from the library and then decided i wanted to read it again - it was so good i bought it!
on 9 January 2015
perfect
on 20 January 2004
There seems to be a theme through all the other reviews for 'Lucky' that this book stays with you. It does more than that. It opens your eyes and imagination so far that you feel that this could be your own story. It makes you stop and think and consider reactions that you were never truly sure that you had, and ultimately, it makes you question your own prejudices and opinions on rape and rape victims.
This is a book that is so painfully honest, so brutal, where nothing is hidden from the reader. Alice Sebold could never have told the story to a person face to face as well as this book is written.
I am an avid reader, and yet this is truly one of the most brilliant pieces of work that i have ever come across. This is not just an account of rape, it is one woman's battle with sexual violence and the attack on her mind rather than just her body. It is not just about the violence of rape, but the courage and determine to survive that Alice Sebold so incerdibly holds. Believe me, there will be very few books that could ever affect you as deeply as this one; so if you can only buy one book today, make sure its Alice Sebolds compelling 'Lucky'.
on 11 June 2004
I'm a fifteen year old boy and this book made me cry twice! It is one of the most beautifully written books I've come across (next to The Lovely Bones) and if you haven't yet read it, you should. It should be made a compulsary read.
Please write more Alice Sebold.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2006
I first discovered Alice Sebold when I read a review of The Lovely Bones, bought it, read it and fell in love with it. I then came across Lucky and decided to read it. I've never been a big fan of memoirs but Lucky changed that. Never before have I felt such respect for someone as I do Alice Sebold. In Lucky you follow her through her horrific rape and the struggle to put her life back together afterwards. The book had me gripped and I could not put it down. It's a heart-wrenching story that had me in tears at points. A definate read for anyone.