on 14 August 2017
I read all of the William books as a boy and collected most of them too. I've still got 13 originals, some worth quite a bit now, but this first one isn't one of the one's I've got. I read them to my own children and to my grandson and they loved them and found them funny. They are of course a bit dated both in setting and in that no 11 year old boy would be like William nowadays. But they take me back to my own boyhood, a much simpler time, and being older I can better understand how brilliant Richmal Crompton was to understand and write so well about, not only boys but adults too!
on 28 July 2017
Classic stories for all by Richmal Crompton that are as funny as ever
on 8 August 2017
Great stuff thanks and sorry for late reply
on 13 October 2016
Very well written classic literature for kids. My 8 year old daughter loves this series !
on 24 April 2012
I first read this book (and several others in the series) back in the 1950s. At the time I found it entertaining and amusing. I have now bought the kindle version to read both for myself, but also aloud to younger children. Like Winnie the Pooh it has a charm which stretches across the generations, though I expect that some of the vocabulary will need explanation to some of the younger listeners. I still find the humour amusing as an adult, though the settings are somewhat dated (I remember thinking this even in the 1950s!). Nevertheless, this is an excellent children's book!
on 30 July 2014
as a just wiiliam club member i found the strippy blue hard cover not in keeping with JUST WILLIAM except for his cap
on 21 December 2015
hilarious
on 4 September 2000
Martin Jarvis manages to capture the character of the eponymous William perfectly. All the voices he gives the characters are, I'm sure, just as Richmal Crompton intended them.
Having read all the 'Just William' books as a child, even now I sometimes re-read them, it is wonderful to be able to listen to them reproduced so faithfully.
Superb. More please.
on 23 May 2017
Having been written over 90 years ago it's starting to sound very dated. Having said that, it's very funny and will appeal to all ages - with a dictionary. For instance, do you know what an "alpenstock" is? For a 21st century equivalent, have a look at Horace Horrise. "The Adventures of Horace Horrise: Horace Horrise Wants to be a Scout 1" is edgy and unorthodox, but a great read for old and young (but not too young!)
on 26 April 2017
Read the Just William books as a child (60+ years ago) in the original red bound hardback. The stories as I remember them were hilarious then and are still (to a younger reader) very funny.
Recommended as a good light but entertaining read for kids