on 18 July 2013
This took me forever to read which is highly odd for me when it comes to Douglas Adams. I normally get through his books in one sitting and I laugh constantly. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if this book simply isn't as good as the others, but I didn't enjoy it as much and struggled at times to keep reading.

I think my problem is that I didn't find a plot. Adams isn't really known for his obvious plots but there is always some sort of story in the previous Hitchhiker books but this one hurdled around so quick in the first two thirds that I was lost, a tiny bit bored & not laughing at the jokes I would of otherwise found funny. I did find the last third enjoyable and I found myself finally getting into the book as it was just ending, typical really.

I will definitely finish the series and hope that this book isn't an omen for the last two.
on 7 June 2012
I was already familiar with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the radio and TV programmes before I started reading the books, and until buying this set had not read the last two books in the trilogy.

This allowed me to re-live some of the joy I felt initially when hearing the words for the first time. Because, despite the somewhat grumpy and morose outlook of some of the lead characters in the early books, it was a deep joy to hear and then read the playful use of language - the surprising turnabouts when sentences didn't end where you expected, the delight of finding robots and computers with more character than the human and human like life forms around them. I was in love with Marvin (weren't we all). What else can you do when reading a sentence like: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." than smile.

The final two books are different. The last one particularly shows a move towards a more mature style. For me, nothing can match the first book. Book four was the weakest but I was pleasantly surprised by book five. And I'm smiling again. I hope Mr Adams is sat in the bar of the final chapters, listening to the pub singer. Class!
on 17 June 2013
UTTER, UTTER GENIUS.

Have read these novels over and over many times, over the years, over.

They are still as fresh and as funny now as then.

Douglas was bang on with his humour and outlook on life that makes you wonder about the rest of humanity.

It is seriously missing out on something vitally important and unfortunately we shall never discover what that is due to his untimely departure.

The cast of characters may seem a bit OTT but I'm pretty sure that there are still people like that out there right now, and I don't mean on Betelguese.

These stories are a must read for anyone who doesn't take themselves or life too seriously.

The destruction of Earth and one earthmans exposure to the incredible, mindblowing vastness of space and his search for a decent cup of tea, whilst evading Vogons and white mice.
on 15 April 2015
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish: 4/5 (Hitchhikers Guide 4) by Douglas Adams

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is Book 4 of the Hitchhiker series but its very different to the first three. It features Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and Marvin (briefly), I missed Trillian and Zaphod and obviously a whole lot more of Marvin. As always, it is a cleverly written book with typical Douglas Adams humour.

I was disappointed by the overt focus on romance in this copy (reminded me of cheapish 70s sci-fi movies with better dialogues). I would have preferred more space action to boring earthly love scenes.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2012
I was lucky enough to get this while it was the Kindle deal of the day, but even at its normal price it is a bargain: all five of the HHG books in one e-book. Despite having all the books on paper I couldn't resist it.

Somehow it seems only right to be reading the books on a device that that is more like the now-legendary guide itself than a paperback is. It makes me wonder why somebody isn't selling a Kindle case with DON'T PANIC on the cover.

The only drawback is that the books have somelittle extras at the end, like some original press releases or first drafts of stories. These are rendered quite small on the Kindle screen and really might as well not be there. Apart from that, this edition works very well in electronic format.
on 27 May 2016
I great book! Well, books! 4 of them! I enjoyed it, even tho I was afraid I might not understand it very well. I was told it's not easy to read this book, esp. when you're not English... but it was great! I love the way it's written! It's so... BRITISH :))) Book was in very good condition as I expected.

Then I found out there was another book left to read - Mostly harmless. You should get that one too.
on 31 January 2014
What's to say about this book, this series?

It's iconic? It's the cleverest and wittiest sci-fi book written? The best radio sci-fi ever? TV? (We'll forget the terrible movie version)

I've been a fan since I first heard it millions of years ago on the radio - since then I've listened to the CD version over and over whilst driving around but, after all these years, decided it was them to get back to the printed version.

The idea at the core of this book is timeless ("time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so") and is applicable today as it was when DA first put pen to paper. OK, so we don't marvel at digital watches any more but where humankind sits in the pecking order of the multiverse is unchanged.

Any trilogy that spills over into 5 volumes has to have something going for it - and this series punches well above its weight.

So, start here and read on . If it's a re-read, then it'll be like meeting up with a good old friend in the pub, if you're a mouse then you'll already know all about this and if it's a first time read for you, well - there's a whole universe stretching out there for you. "Oh, God, not another one?!" (Read on, and you'll learn who said that.)

But don't forget your towel.
on 23 January 2015
This... Is truly a masterpiece. Many books have been called thus, but this one has two distinct advantages over them. First, its reasonable price, and second of all, that the words DON'T PANIC are written on it.

But in all seriousness. This book is so good that its going to be a classic for the longest time ever. I read this book fifteen years ago for the first time, and when I saw it suggested on amazon, I laughed out loud and purchased it immediately. I mean, withing 15 seconds. Which, incidentally, is how long it takes Arthur Dent to plonk himself in front of a bulldozer outside his house.

So yes. If you love a good book, but also enjoy a huge laugh, then this is for you. If, on the other hand, are a vapid, vacant staring mouth breather who enjoys nothing but being generally miserable, then you'll hate this. Mein Kampf is in the historical section.

So long, and thanks for all the laughs, Mr Adams. I won't stop laughing till I join you, a sentiment I'm sure millions share.
on 17 August 2017
This classic comedy Sci-Fi replaces a disintegrating printed copy from repeated re-reading. The story line could be brought right up to date by swapping smart phones for digital watches. The stupidity of the human race is sadly constant throughout history but these stories allow us to laugh at it.
on 23 April 2016
Nice to have it to complete the Adams oeuvre, but the book is a bit of a mish-mash, with a random collection of other pieces to pad the novel fragment out into something that looks like a book.The novel looks enticing and I would doubtless have enjoyed it if it had been finished. But it's a shame that this rather weak collection is the last thing published under his name. It would have been better just to put the novel fragment online for fans to see and not to have the publisher try to make money out of cobbling this lot together.