on 30 January 2014
I had always wanted to read this as a kid and never got around to it. Now I am 21 and I finally read it. It is probably best suited to teenagers, as the main character herself is that age, although still a good read for those big kids out there!

It follows a girl called Mia, who is quite happy in her usual boring life of school/home/friends/boys, allbeit a slightly more geeky existance than most. However her world is turned upside down when she discovers she is in fact a princess, and heir to the throne of Genovia. Chaos ensues when she refuses to believe it, and then when she does, she has to try and keep it a secret from everybody at school. It is a very good start to the series, for those who have seen the film version with Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews, this book covers about the first 50% of the film.

It is sweet and funny and a good girlie read.
on 18 May 2016
A massive thumbs up from all three girls in our house who have read this. My 12 year old, Mia, was actually named after protagonist of this book. My eldest daughter read this book aloud to my bump all through my pregnancy (and subsequent titles) and we fell in love with the name Mia. Now she is reading the books herself and loving them! Very poignant :
on 30 March 2011
Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo, Princess of Genovia.

Just that name alone made me open the book.

Mia is the ultimate typical teenager. She is totally likable and relatable. I shared her high and lows and I can completely understand what she is going through. Well, except the princess thing because I am not a princess. Although I personally wouldn't have a problem with the tiara.

One minute Mia is an average teenager living in Manhatten trying to cope with the fact that her mother has started dating her algebra teacher, and the next she is the heir to the throne of Genovia.
To matters worse Mia's strict Grandmere, whom she loathes, arrives intent on giving her princess lessons.
Mia's only hope is that the whole nightmare stays secret.

'The Princess Diaries' makes me want to be a princess, who wouldn't! Well, Mia wouldn't obviously.

The book is quite simply a right royal laugh and I couldn't put it down. The whole series is totally original and wonderfully written.

Thank God Meg Cabot became an author!
on 25 August 2015
From plain old Mia to Princess of Genovia, Meg Cabot writes her characters realistically and you feel part of her books. The story takes the reader on a journey of Mia's life from a girl to princess. Its a book thats read by any age me being 37 and I still enjoy reading the series, a book that you just can't put down until you've finished it, and then you have to find out what happens after and then your a couple of books in.
on 12 December 2017
Meg Cabot is a great author . I read the first book of the series and was DYING to read the next ! I can't WAIT to read the third book in the series . This is more of a book , however ,for ten + years . Since this is a diary in the first person it feels like you know ( Mia ) personally . All in all SUPER DUPER AMAZING COOL SUPER DUPER book!😃😃😃😃😃😃😃
on 4 January 2015
I enjoyed the book ever much. But for once in my life I prefer the movie than the book. Now before you smack me silly the only reason probably is cause I have seen the PD movie before I read the book and the movie is part of my childhood. But I still enjoyed the book. Definitely worth 5 stars
on 15 April 2018
2nd book in The Princess Diaries series and it's bloody brilliant. Full of laughter and moments where you want to cringe for Mia. Meg Cabot does Princess Mia and Genovia proud
on 4 February 2013
I adore this book a lot and would definitely recommend it.it's very light hearted which is what I look for in a book.to describe it in one word it would be fun and in to,page turning.I've read the first one and seen the film and now I can't wait to explore the books all the way up to the final serious.I'm on to the third book now and only read several pages but I'm definitely going to rate it five out of five!Anyone looking for an enjoyable,fun,light hearted,page turning,hilarious book?Then differently get this!Seriously,what's not to love?Really?
on 16 April 2018
Surprisingly good with a few plot twists, easy read . Full of drama and a good book to read. Would recommend it.
on 23 November 2015
This book is a great read and very funny! Good and light hearted.