Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 24 December 2016
I meant to post this last year when The Princess Diaries series re-released with new covers, the only problem with that? I read it a few weeks early so I wrote my review and saved it, intending to post on release day. Unfortunately, I got a little late so I kept pushing this back to post reviews of books that were newly released and well, here I am a year and some months later finally getting round to posting now… Better late than never right? *hides*

I am a massive fan of Meg Cabot’s earlier books, I own almost every book she published before 2010 except The Princess Diaries, I’ve watched the films yet I’ve never actually read the books except for the third one way back when (thanks to a cousin of mine). I think it was the fact that there’s something like 13 books in the set and we all know that even though I love reading anything over five books (and even that’s a stretch for me) and I start to get bored. I would much rather read standalones or trilogies. And even though I’m probably 10 years out of the target audience for this book I couldn’t say no to taking a trip down nostalgia lane.

I was all set to give this book a five star rating, that is how certain I was that I would adore this book. Imagine my astonishment then when (once I got reading) I realised I really wasn’t liking Mia or her father or Clarisse for that matter. Mia came off sounding ungrateful and all woe-is-me when really there was no need for it and whilst film Clarisse and Phillipe were endearing, I really did not like the book versions of them. Thankfully though, I started to see a change in Mia towards the end of the book, so here’s hoping that she becomes likeable as the books go on.

There are some characters in the books that aren’t in the films, like Tina. I really liked her character (and Michael’s). Speaking of Tina, she is the only element of the books that isn’t in the films (and I wish she was) otherwise the films - the first one at least - are a pretty close adaption of the books.

You know when you read a book that was (first) published quite a few years and it feels dated? That wasn’t a problem here. I actually forgot at times that we were reading something that was published almost 15 years ago, only remembering of course when the technology of that time was mentioned.

I’ve got to say, I love these covers! I’m tempted to buty the entire series so I can have all of these pretty covers gracing my bookshelves.

Overall, Despite my feelings for Mia, this book seemed promising and I actually find myself want to see what comes next, so I will probably read the other books. If I do I’ll definitely review them.
on 14 August 2017
I loved this series when I was younger and the films are some of my all time favourites! That’s why when I recently saw that there was a new book in the series (not going to say what it’s called because it does spoil the series a bit) I figured I had to relive my childhood and start rereading the series again.

In this book we follow Mia, just a normal teenager trying her best to be normal. One day her dad drops by and just casually announces that she is a princess (as you do), from then Mia’s life is turned upside down as she tries to accept that she has to run a country even though she is as far from a princess as you can get.

I loved this book! It is such a fun and fast paced read. The story is told through Mia’s journal entries and it is just so funny to read from her point of view and see how she is coping with everything. Instead of most novels where the character is popular and instantly accepts they are a princess and do everything right, here we see Mia who has no intention of wanting to be a princess and she tries to come to terms with dealing with the press or learning how to act.

I flew through this book as like I said before it is a really fun read, it is definitely for teenagers however I’m sure young adults would enjoy this as well (I know I did!). The only downside for me which I don’t really know if it is a downside is that her grandmother in the film (Julie Andrews) is amazing and really funny. However in the book she just seemed a bit stuck up and I really didn’t like her, she didn’t act at all like a grandmother and I know she is a queen but at the same time she is still a grandmother and it seemed like that aspect didn’t come across. Therefore this did kind of ruin this book for me because I expected her to change into the loving and cool grandmother in the films but it just didn’t happen. I am hoping that she does change in the later books.

Overall I did really enjoy this book, it is a quick and fun read that is perfect for teenagers! I would definitely recommend this.
on 2 July 2014
My daughters review of the book:

The Princess Diaries is a book that I know I read as a child, but after rereading it recently, I found that I had actually either never finished the book, didn't understand it whilst I was younger or that I had completely forgotten it. However, now I understand the book fully and I feel very connected towards the main character, Mia.

The Princess Diaries is a very popular series, which was transformed to a Disney adaptation film a few years ago. However, the book and the film are vastly different, and I am proud to say I preferred the book over the film. Mia is a regular girl who is going through the awkward stages of being a teenager. She has no boobs, she is 'ugly' by her own views, she isn't like everyone else, nobody has ever asked her out, she's failing algebra and to top it all off; her best friend, Lilly, and Mia are often subtly arguing over small things that Mia just lets slide. Mia comes from a single parent home, whose father is always in a different country dealing with his own business, but he still pays all of the bills for Mia and his ex. However, Mia soon finds out what she is actually the princess of a small country called Genovia, after her dad tells her the truth and her mum admits she was hiding it, a mist all of this too - her mother starts dating her algebra teacher. EW! Mia has to soon deal with the stages of growing up, as well as accepting princess lessons off of her Grandma. Determined to keep this princess secret a secret, Mia starts falling out with everyone, however eventually the inevitable happens and Mia finds herself stuck with paparazzi, fake dates and even fake friends.

Although I am not a princess, this book is still very relatable. Mia is still an 'ordinary' girl who is going through those odd changes where you just feel awkward and different. I think a lot of girls growing up can relate to this. Also, at first I always thought this book would be crude and partially childish, kinda like those princess books you read as a child. However, this book isn't any of this. In fact, this book is VERY mature. The language used can be interpreted as very smart so that younger readers may actually find it hard. Also, Mia tends to highlight the lows of being a princess and not glamorising royalty at all, so it just makes it easier to read without cringing.

The book is also very humorous and made me laugh for ages. The chapters are short diary entries from Mia, so you often find yourself reading 100 pages at a time because you loose track of how far in you are. It's addictive! Meg Cabot has brilliantly portrayed and created the characters, all with bold personalities and bold opinions that you can successfully link one with someone you know yourself - making it even more relatable. There is a strong plot and it's not very typical. At first, I thought the ending was very predictable, however: as soon as you think you're at the ending, just a few sentences later something else happens and you find that you are actually wrong and nothing ends 'happy ever after'.

A lovely story, funny and a light read. There is drama, but there is also a lot of humour. Younger readers may struggle at first to get into this, but this book is still amazing.
on 19 August 2015
Personally, I loved this book.

The Princess Diaries is a very famous series by Meg Cabot, and the Disney film is highly loved by everyone. However, after reading the first book again, I decided to re-read the second book and found myself loving it even more then before. Honestly, when I was younger and I read this: I wasn't thrilled. However, now I can admit that I loved it.

The Princess Diaries: Princess In The Spotlight is the second book in the series and is even more relatable then the first one. Mia is still balancing her life of being a princess as well as being 'normal'. Now that everyone knows she is a princess, she has to deal with fake friends, harsh enemies and even her homework: which she is not thrilled about. However, Mia thinks she doesn't have to keep anything else secret, ever again! But she soon later discovers that her mum is pregnant with Mia's teachers baby and that they're getting married! Mia, being a proud daughter and a loving sibling-to-be supports this but has to continue living her stress filled life as well as keeping her mum safe too. When plans get out of hand, Mia finds herself being bewildered and tempted with pretty dresses, over her mums happiness. And if that doesn't seem like enough: Mia has started receiving love letters from a mystery man, and she hopes it can only be one person...

Although I am not a princess, this book is very relatable. Meg Cabot has highlighted and portrayed the life of a teenage girl beautifully and all the struggles. Of course, we don't all have to walk around with our own body guards, but the princess-y side of it all seems almost humorous, so you just chuckle and continue with the book. Again, there are very bold and relatable characters with a lot of truth and reality behind each persons personality. I constantly read the characters personalities and found myself thinking of someone I once knew. Meg Cabot also has successfully highlighted how a girl would feel towards a boy when she is going through the awkward stages of growing-up-and-still-not-having-a-boyfriend.

A funny book which can be relatable for everyone. The short witty journal entries are enough to make you want to turn the page all over again!
on 4 September 2015
So the Princess Diaries have a new cover and I like it. I feel it shows how Mia should look like in comparison to the original covers with her orange bob hair thing.

This my childhood (OK my early teens) book and it was brilliant! It showed you didn’t have to be the best at everything to get on with life, and sometimes things are not always quite what they seem.

Most people would love the idea of being a princess, of being royal – a Disney fairytale come true. But not Mia, this is a step too far for her. She is already considered a freak at school and this goes one step too far – how much more can she take? But somehow her royal news gets leaked and now Mia has to deal with being ‘popular’ and her tyrannical grandmother – forget the film version Mia’s grandmother is not as loveable as you might think!

Mia has to mature as the year progresses – can she learn all about what it means to be a princess, cope with the make-overs and soften her Grandmere. All while remaining herself and bagging the boy?

Written as a journal, this is a funny, witty read with shows Mia as the typically over-active, hyper teen she is. Worrying about the whales, wanting to join Greenpeace and wondering what her classmates will think of her.

For those of you who didn’t read originally, where were you?! And for you lot yet to have a chance, go read! This is pure joy to read and you won’t find out what you have missed till you have read and regretted past opportunities!
on 1 August 2015
Title: The Princess Diaries
Series: The Princess Diaries (#1)
Author: Meg Cabot
From: Netgalley
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: 25th June 2015 (Re-release)
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Mia Thermopolis thinks that she's just a normal teenage girl, with normal teenage problems. Until she discovers that her father is actually the Prince of a small European principality and that she is the sole heir to his throne. Now forced to attend Princess Lessons with her Grandmère and enduring a feud with her best friend, Lily, Mia has to learn to live life as an 'out' royal. Meaning more attention, body guards and brand new haircut.

This month is a month of re-reads apparently. I have to say that I am loving it! Just like re-reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone earlier in the month, rereading The Princess Diaries took me back into a world I already knew.

I couldn't help but notice that I picked up on different things while reading The Princess Diaries, like it completely slipped my attention previously that Mia could speak fluent French (which does make sense!) or that she actually liked her new haircut. I liked discovering more things about Mia!

Even though I had read the book before I found myself completely engrossed in the story, I really didn't want to put it down and found myself laughing aloud at some of Mia's comments and some of her antics. Even knowing where the story was going I still found it enjoyable!

I loved revisiting my reading past, and with this series being re-released I may find myself doing it more!
on 12 November 2015
I don’t think anyone needs me to say what this book is about, right? I read this years ago when I was in high school and all the books after it in the series – I think there was 10 in total. And of course I’ve watched the film several times. I couldn’t wait to finish re-reading the book to re-watch the movie!

Firstly a big thank you to Pan Mac for approving me for this book on Netgalley. I requested it just about the time that I requested Meg’s latest book Royal Wedding (Princess Diaries for older readers) and it was a complete trip down memory lane reading it again.

There are so many things I love about this book. First of all Mia is just a normal girl. She has normal teenage worries about her looks, friends, homework, boys and fitting in in general. Although the book was first published in 2000, Mia had the same worries that a fourteen year old would have today although, admittedly, Mia didn’t need to worry about looking on point in her newest Instagram selfie.

I love the diary format of this book and think it especially works for younger reads. I tried to keep my own diary for little while when I was younger so I am sure lots of girls can relate to her. Mia has a sharp wit and is completely sarcastic. It’s easy to imagine yourself in her shoes through Meg’s writing.

I am so looking forward to Royal Wedding as a fan of the Princess Diaries series and also as a fan of Meg’s books for older readers!
on 3 September 2001
When Mia finds out she's a princess she thinks it so unfair. Why does she have to be the girl with no dates, a mum who dates her algebra teacher and now she's a princess! Just when life can't get any worse..... it does. She and her best friend have a huge fight and aren't talking. Can things get any worse?.
This is such a great book any teenage girl should read it- it is so funny!
on 22 December 2001
This is an updated traditional fairytale.
Meg Cabot is a great writer and I just couldn't put this down. The only thing is though, is how this is such a typically 'teenage' book. There's romance, she gets the boy she wants, there's a hiccup, then everything turns out fine and very slushy. Mia is a character that everyone can relate to as she has the problems we all have about looks and school- but this has all been done before. The saving grace for this book is Mia and how gripping it is. The plot is paper thin after she discovers she's a princess.
on 10 May 2002
The Princess Diaries, written by Meg Cabot,is a humouress novel based on the diaries of Mia Thermopolis.
One minute Mia is a totally normal girl in Manhatten, New York; next she is the heir to the throne of of Genovia and discovers her original name is 'Amelia Migonette Grimaldi thermopolis Renaldo'!
To make things worse her strict Grandmother has arrived in town with princess lessons for Mia on her schedule!
One of the most memorable parts of this book is the night of the Cultural Diversity Dance,but does Mia get a date?