on 14 December 2013
This is a cracking set of DVDs, excellent value for the price. Perhaps it is a cultural thing but the American obsession with minutia begins to grate slightly after a while. For example, the first action between the ironclads is extremely interesting but do we really need to know how many cannonballs bounced off either ship??
on 17 May 2012
I just got a present of this box set lately. It's very well done and really takes you in. I haven't seen it all but I get a feeling it's more interested in the union victories than the Confederate ones. I know the Union won the civil war but the Confederates did have victories too. By the way I am not from America.
on 9 December 2010
Was not sure about these DVD's when I bought them but a great buy and would recommend them. Excellent value for money and some real interesting DVD's.
on 5 September 2013
A good box set and very good value for money. It doesn't go through the whole chronology of the war, but focuses on a few incidents which give you a good picture. If you want a more general picture of the war, try another one like the series that was on the BBC.
on 8 April 2015
Rather naiively I thought I'd ordered the landmark series on the American Civil War, What I'd bought was a number of programmes on the ACW from the History channel, with the lack of academic vigour and constant recapitulation that mars most of their output.
on 3 February 2013
I bought this thinking it was the awesome Ken Burns account - it isn't and I returned it in exchange for the Ken Burns account, nice try History Channel!
on 6 January 2013
A worthy series if a bit random in order of play. Also rather turgid with some dramatised events appearing to be carried out in real time???
on 3 February 2015
A mixed selection here. A great assortment of documentaries covering the period. Some a lot more interesting to watch than others.
on 1 May 2011
I found these discs to be excellent history of the U.S Civil War - nothing appears to have been left out and the discs have been filmed in such a way the war and battles can be followed easily. I would recommend these to historians
on 9 January 2015
A very good civil war set, I was so pleased with the set I purchased it for a friend of mine.