on 22 April 2015
TP-Link 8817.

I'm in a poor connection area, roughly 2.5 miles with a 4.5mbps connection from my exchange and I've found this modem randomly dropping my connection for about 20 seconds once or twice an hour under light load - This was over a 12 hour period.

I've ensured the firmware is fully updated, and after researching this seems to be a known issue with no fix - so if you're in a bad area, it's probably not the unit for you but - admittedly some reviewers state otherwise so take it all with a pinch of salt (personally, in hindsight I'd spend a fiver more and try a more modern version.)

I tested it on a friends connection and it appeared to be stable even under heavy load with p2p clients etc running and response times seem just fine, quite disappointed.
on 7 July 2013
This product would be perfect for someone with one computer with a single wired connection. After that it gets a lot more complicated.

I already had one of these modems at home (one computer with a single wired connection). I had never had to reboot it and it never dropped connection. I bought one for the office after suffering with BT business hub for too long. We have a more complex network at work.

Modem > UTM device > switch

Each level needing it's own subnet

Trying to change the default subnet is difficult as it won't "take" until you've battered it into submission. Changing the ISP defaults also takes patience. Our business has BT broadband which is hardly a rarity in the UK.

All that said, when we finally got it to accept and save all the correct settings, we have not lost internet connection once. It's brilliant and only loses one star due to the difficult set up.
on 9 August 2013
I just purchased this to replace a failed Draytek Vigor 120 which has died after about 2Yrs of continuous use and was very out of warranty according to the unhelpful support agent at Draytek!

Well I'm delighted so far, simply unboxed and connected all the cables and then connected the LAN to my Netgear WNDR4500 router. The router then magically did all the work and before I could do anything else... I was expected to have some fiddling to do as with all things networking these day, I was very surprised to see I was already connected to the net before I could even log in to the Router! Happy days, that had to be the easiest install in the last 2Yrs... Long may it continue and why can all networking products be this easy?

I hope the little device which says it has 3Yrs warranty on the box will now last that long and beyond without issue - top marks to TP-Link! Very happy so far...
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 June 2016
This Modem was the final piece of kit I used to finish replacing all my Netgear products that seem very prone to failure/hang up subsequent to power outages (main supply going out or just internal circuit isolation switch off).

Was not looking forward to setting this up as needed ISP info setup and a few other bits of info but despite my misgivings it all worked perfectly (I'm not a computer/systems expert by a long way) so was mightily relieved when all the LED lights came on and both ethernet and wifi network kicked off without the slightest problem.
Could not be better for me as hopefully can forget and get on with stuff I want to do not spend hours rebooting or on endless support phone calls and also prices of this TP-Link stuff are very good value so its a win-win for me
on 2 January 2014
I bought this to work with Be/O2 after as Netgear router failed as I wanted to position it near the master socket and cable to my router elsewhere. I'm very much of the opinion that ADSL and Wifi shouldn't be in the same box as heat tends to cause one to die eventually. This also gives some preparation for BT infinity when it eventually arrives for exchange only lines.

My advice is to use the wizard and set the device to bridged with the correct VPI/VCI for your ISP. Don't do anything else in this box other than change the password. If you are using a dynamic IP with BE you should be able to configure an IP address with DHCP from the ISP. Be/O2 don't need PPP enabled. For a static IP just enter that IP address in your router.
on 25 May 2013
Finding a multi-nat router that was guaranteed to deal with my multiple external IP addresses (and map each to a different internal IP address) without spending a three-figure sum was proving to be a pain, but then I found this did the job perfectly!

Originally I wanted an all-in-one modem/router/wireless access point, but that's where I was going wrong. It's much cheaper to get this and a separate access point, and that fits my network setup far better too.

So, for anyone who needs the following setup, I can confirm this works perfectly:

1) You have multiple external (Internet) IP addresses from your ISP.
2) You need to map some of those addresses directly onto an internal IP address.
3) You need to use one of those addresses for NAT for everything else.

Obviously, it also works fine for the majority with a single IP address as well :)

On top of all that, it also optionally functions as a standalone ADSL Modem (despite the term "modem" not really being technically correct) - it can forward your ADSL connection onto a separate router on your network over IP, without acting as a router itself, should you choose to use it that way.

So it handles all of those complex network topology setups in a tiny package that's cheaper than most of those totally inflexible alternatives. If there was a 6th star available I'd give it that for being so cheap!

Update 11 June 2013

Just moved to BT Business Broadband, which operates some weird peering system. The TD-8817 works fine on this too - just set it up to use DHCP for its WAN link, and then allocate each of your IP addresses using NAT on the router - you can use a mix of one-to-one and one-to-many to allocate specific IPs to servers and use a shared one for internet browsing by workstations, just make sure you exclude the IPs of the one-to-ones from your one-to-many range.
on 1 March 2015
Much better than the terrible BT homehub it replaced.

This is sued as a modem only connecting to an ASUS WiFi router.

the TP-8817 is a great little modem, setup was fairly simple, you connect it to your computer go to the routers web page (defaults to 192.168.1.1) and set it up to your ISPs settings. The only thing to remember is to look up the settings if you dont know them, BT require a default username and password. The only other thing to make sure is you select the correct encapsulation method (ppoa/ppoe etc).

Ive been running it 24/7 without issues and it keeps a solid stable connection unlike the BT router. It has the additional benefit of you having control over it where as ISP provided equipment is normally restricted and remotely updated (not always a good thing)

There was a recently security problem with these modems (not exploitable by default) but that has been addressed and the one I got came with the latest firmware (8.0*), you can easily updated it if yours doesnt (it should).

on 9 February 2013
I used the TD-8817 in combination with an ASUS RT N66U wi-fi router.

My local telephone exchange supports 21CN, so I've configured them both to use PPPoE.

This combination is working very well, with a reliable ADSL connection, even though I'm some miles from the exchange.

I used the above combination to replace a Billion office grade ADSL modem/router, that had complete wi-fi failure after only two years.

I'm hoping that "separates" rather than an "all in one" is a more longer lasting approach.

The TD-8817 is a small neat unit taking up very little space, and runs cool to the touch. Setup was fairly straight-forward, mostly using defaults, apart from selecting PPoE.
4 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 2 October 2014
This is my first modem as have had BThomehub's previously. Had the BThomehub3 last and was getting so frustrated with it messing me about by dropping my wifi or kicking me off wired devices and BT's legendary 'have you turned off and on again' support finally decided to purchase this and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router. Since I have done this I have had no problems at all. Was easy to set up and configure. Took about 5 minutes and was all done. Would highly recommend but as I said before this is my first modem so nothing to compare to.
on 16 December 2012
I bought this to stand between a wireless router and my phone line (my last wireless router/modem went belly up and left me with neither so to avoid this in the future, I thought I'd split the function between two devices).

The set up via a laptop connected with a LAN cable was easy enough to access and this modem dialled into my ADSL line with no issues at all - it was up and running within 5 mins. I had a bit of an issue getting it to interact with the wireless router I was tryign to set up as well (which was made by ASUS), primarily because both have a lot of high tech settings. This modem has a kind of quick start idiots route to getting it working immediately but nothing then for someone that needs to do something a little more high tech but doesn't have in depth networking knowledge.

However...I found a very helpful guide in one of the other reviews here (so will repeat it):
Modem: change IP address to something else i.e. 192.168.0.1, turn off DHCP
Wireless router: leave IP address as 192.168.1.1, set WAN connection as 192.168.0.250, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway as 192.168.0.1 and DNS as 192.168.0.1

This ensures internet traffic from your wireless router passes to and from the TD-8817 modem/router.

Since doing this, it worked perfectly and hasn't dropped the connection since. Very reliable, small, unobtrusive, build quality feels fine (I like the push-in push-out on-off button, much better than the last Linksys router/modem). For reference, I am running this with the Asus RT-N66U wireless router and the setup is brilliant.
|11 Comment|Report abuse