Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 18 May 2010
Why why why has Hollywood not knocked down Harlan Coben's door ?
All the ingredients are here a missing girl, suburban secrets, an ordinary person sucked into extraordinary circumstances, the ambitious journalist, the determined cop.
add a few twists and 1 large final twist and it's this years perfect beach companion

Ok so Harlan Coben's books are similar but he has the formula or recipe down to a fine art that he consistently delivers a great page turner thriller every year
A 17 year old girl has gone missing there are no clues to why this high achieving girl from a loving family should have disappeared.
Reporter Wendy Tynes a TV reporter who sets up and traps on camera paedophiles but has she got it wrong with her latest victim ?
For fans of his there is even a Cameo from a certain rich playboy and brief mention of a couple of other characters from previous books

If you plan to read this by the pool or on the beach make sure you use factor 60
because as always once you start this book you are going to find it hard to put down
on 10 January 2011
I have read all Harlan Coben's (HC) books and found the majority of them of the highest order.
With HC what you see is what you get and the quality is usually consistently high.
I partcularly like the Myron Bolitar and friends series although the books which use other characters have been excellent i.e. The Woods and Tell No One.
I therefore looked forward to reading Caught and thought the storyline sonded very interesting (maybe a bit like Tell No One).
Having finished it I have to report that I was hugely disappointed.
The main characters were flaky, the relationships between Wendy, Charlie and Pops were contrived if not downright yuccy.
The story was OK although Harlan Coben writing as Wendy and assuming female traits, emotions et al didn't work (he almost parodied how women feel, think and act).
Others have summarised the story exremely well but if this is your first venture into HC please don't think that this is illustrative of other great books he has turned out.
Try The Woods and Tell No One and almost any featuring Myron Bolitar.
Hope that this helps!!
I have read several books by well known authors recently where you are left feeling at the end that the book really did not measure up to their previous efforts and lacked a certain sparkle. David Baldacci and Patricia Cornwell are two that immediately spring to mind. However, no one can accuse Harlan Coben of failing to deliver as Caught is definitely up to standard and is an absorbing read.

The story starts with a young girl going missing and the unmasking of an apparent pedophile by a television reporter who specializes in such sting operations. However, as always nothing is as straight forward as it appears and the truth is both fascinating and complex. Coben weaves an interesting tale and every time you feel you have the plot cracked there is another unexpected twist or turn which keeps the interest engaged right up to the end.

This is one of those books where there is a compulsion to continue reading and it is very hard to put down. Most readers, and not just Coben fans, will enjoy this one.
on 19 March 2011
I have read all of Harlan Coben's previous novels and literally couldn't put them down from start to finish but...not this one.
It was a good read but for me it didn't come close to what I was expecting.
on 14 May 2014
I have read some of Harlan Coben's other novels and usually am gripped by them, this didn't unfortunately.
A story about a reporter outing sexual predators thinks she has got this right but then finds out maybe not, the whole story seems straight forward but another layer of intrigue is added when the 'accused' friends seem to be attacked for various crime, so is it revenge? Have they been set up or are they actually guilty?
Very slow paced and I found the plot line not gripping enough. I didn't care enough about the characters and was less feeling that this story had gone all round the houses and got nowhere. I would recommend you read others of Harlan Coben before reading this.
I read this when it first came out in 2010 and had forgotten most of the plot so it was good to re-read it. It's mainly about Dan whose accused of paedophilia although he strongly denies it but the evidence is stacked against him there's also the matter of a missing girl and suspicion falls squarely on his shoulders. The sub-plot involving his old college colleagues adds another interesting twist to the tale and you need to be vigilant not to loose the plot , but if you manage it's an immensely satisfying read. Highly recommended
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 April 2010
Harlan Coben has become the master of the "suburban thriller" a fact acknowledged on the blurb for this book as if it has become a genre in itself, which no doubt it soon will.

This is well up to the standard of previous efforts but do I detect a hint of tiredness and ennui setting in? It seems like Mr Coben is releasing a book a year now and working under that, no doubt contractual, pressure is bound to leave a bit to be desired. Indeed this is the case here with some thin characterisation in parts, occasional plodding unreal dialogue and some amazing coincidences, all of which might undermine the overall story, but miraculously somehow doesn't as the plot is razor sharp and keeps you turning the pages, which is surely the point of such books. I read the book in one sitting, it is that gripping, and was pleasantly surprised by the ending but once read you will soon move on to other things.

All in all this is a perfect summer page turner that doesn't demand a great deal from you but the author has to break free of his suburban shackles to get back to "5 star" level.
on 13 October 2014
Greatly enjoyed this, especially the end, and I'm only knocking a star off for mistakes I don't expect from a best-selling author or "proper" publisher !!
It's a story very well told and all the way through he takes different little turns with it and I was wondering........was our protagonist guilty or not ? I changed my mind about him almost all the way through. That's very cleverly done indeed.
I liked what he told us on page 4 about the best men heading off to war. That is very thought-provoking indeed, actually. He lost me a few pages along when he said..."Maybe later, after your circle jerk". He may as well have been speaking in Swahili as I don't have a clue what that means !!
There were some truly laugh-out-loud lines peppered throughout too.
I spotted a lot of dropped speechmarks here and there which was aggravating and at one point I'd have used tack not track but I'm unsure if that was a mistake or the word he chose.
I did get a little confused in places and one part still baffles me a little but it didn't ruin anything for me.
I've read him before, I'll read him again-that's for sure.
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2010
I am a big fan of Harlan Coben's: I love the fast paced, page-turning suspense that you get with his books; they're great to listen to in the car on a long journey or to curl up with when you want a quick but gripping read.

This is not, in my opinion, one of his best however. The synopsys tells of the disappearance of a teenage girl (who seemingly vanishes off the face of the earth) but in actual fact, she is barely part of the plot. The book centres around Wendy Tynes, a TV journalist who orchestrates a paedophile sting on live TV to catch Dan Mercer, a youth worker who has been brought to their attention for attempting to meet a 13 year old girl he had apparantly met online. The first chapter is actually narrated by Dan Mercer too, but he then disappears for the rest of the book.

Wendy Tynes, after single-handedly bringing down the reputation of Dan Mercer, then decides that he might be innocent afterall and embarks on tracking down his friends to find out the truth. The deeper she digs the more she realises that there is something much bigger going on and that his old college room-mates may have befallen similar fates.

I can't say too much more without the risk of ruining the book for anyone else, but I have to conclude that this is one of my least favourites of Coben's. I know you have to suspend your disbelief for most thriller / crime books but this never felt believable to me (especially when you discover who and why).

I can allow Mr Coben one slip as I have loved all his other books but I would have to say "meh..." to this one.
on 18 September 2010
I mean, it's late in the evening, I should go to bed. As usual, early rise tomorrow. Work. Etcetera. I know that a Coben's book will keep me awake, probably unputdownable as usual... The book stares at me. I stare at the book. The book seems to wink at me. I ignore it. It winks again (seriously!). I ignore it again. Too late tonight, am tired, better to start it tomorrow. Oh well, perhaps just a peek... The book almost leaps into my hands. It seems to have a life of its own! First line: "I knew opening that red door would destroy my life"... And once again, I am Caught: one chapter, two, three.... cannot stop. The reading goes on. Oh no. I'll look like a rag in the morning...

Mr. Coben is consistently producing edge-of-the-seat thrillers. This one is no different. We meet social worker Dan Mercer in the prologue. We are then introduced to reporter Wendy Tynes, who works for the TV programme "Caught in the Act" along with the police, a programme aimed to bring sexual offenders to justice. And we follow the story of an inexplicable disappearance of a seventeen year-old girl student, vanished without a trace.

As usual, even the most improbable detail is explained and everything becomes clear by the end of the book. I do have a "complaint" this time however: the sudden popping up of Win, helping out Wendy with a few things (for those who do not know Coben's books, Win is Myron Bolitar' sidekick and friend -Bolitar being another character about whom several books have been written by the author). I did not mind Win's intervention in itself (and I have always liked his character). I did feel, however, that his presence was a bit too easy peasy, hence unrealistic, within the juxtaposition of the events. In other words, an uncomplicated "way out" to difficult answers. Too far-fetched.

The above is the only criticism. For the rest, as usual, this is another fast-paced, brilliant thriller. 4.5 stars. Enjoy!