Customer reviews

great thanks
on 5 September 2017
Great album!
on 27 January 2007
I bought this album as part of a new-year resolution to try random stuff that I normally wouldn't. Punk is not my 'thing', and it's been quite a while since I last listened to guitar lead thrashy rock stuff. Possibly the most similar thing in my back-catalog would be the first Garbage album - which should give you some guidance as to where I'm coming at this album from.

I was pleasantly surprised by Show Your Bones. It's got an energy that's quite captivating, and doesn't take itself too seriously or too flippantly. Phenomena is my favorite track, easily accessible and refusing to budge from my head all day after hearing it.

I've found the album managing to appear in my CD player a surprising number of times, but unfortunately it doesn't sustain my attention all the way through, which is disappointing given the strong opening tracks. By the eighth or ninth track I've gotten a little bored from a lack of variation in the sound (there's only so many ways to play music where the tone of the guitars, singing, and constant cymbals never change).

An album worth getting to for sure, but not one of my favorites.
5 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2010
Yeah Yeah Yeahs are one of the very, very few current bands I would place 'up there', in the high echelons of great music, and this is definitely my favourite of their albums so far. Fever to Tell was excellent in places, but I'm not a punk kind of guy, and a lot of it was a little abrasive for my tastes- I'm more about melody than guitar squall and screeching, so unsurprisingly my favourite songs off the first album were Maps and Y Control. This album arguably doesn't have anything quite so nape-tingling as Maps (which, like most people, I still probably consider their best song, though Down Boy comes pretty close), but it is amazingly consistent.
I remember reading a review in some magazine which said the record suffered from filler, and went on to cite Phenomena as an example. Now listen to that song, and think; if that's as weak as it gets.....it's an excellent song, the reviewer must have been criminally insane! There aren't really any weak tracks, it's one of the exceptionally few albums I regularly listen to in its entirety- the only other one that comes to mind is Doolittle by Pixies. Yes, I would actually put it in that esteemed company. My favourite song is probably Honey Bear, but as I said there aren't any that I don't like.
A lot of people were a little thrown by the subsequent synth heavy direction the YYY took; I thought It's Blitz was a worthy follow up, but I'll always be more excited by guitars than electronics, and this album showcases Zinner at his wild and imaginitive best, with less shrieky but no less energetic vocals from Karen O. Essential.
One person found this helpful
on 29 December 2013
I'm only 16 but I got really into the Yeah Yeah Yeah's when I heard their song "Despair" on the radio last year, so I asked my dad if he would get me their other CD Mosquito for Xmas - However, he also ended up getting me this one also as he said that I might as well hear what they used to sound like and see if I liked their older stuff too.
This CD is amazing! And I think I like it even better than "Mosquito"- another of their albums that I've been completely obsessed with!
Show Your Bones has got a nice sound to it and even people who may not necessarily be into rocky rolly music I think will find it hard to hate this music - Out of all of the tracks I liked "Golden Lion" and "Cheated Hearts" the best as they are just two really feel good songs.
No-one could stay grumpy listening to Karen-O's voice :)
Sooo anyway it's definitely worth a buy in my opinion...And my families just going to have to put up with hearing it on repeat constantly....
P.S Even though it's completely got nothing to do with the actual music their cover art is pretty cool as well including the flags on the inside of the CD cover/booklet.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 May 2006
Anyone expecting, or wanting, a carbon copy of Fever to Tell is going to be a little disappointed in this album. Show Your Bones is the second album from a group that have really grown-up since their debut, and produced a far stronger, more enduring record because of it. This isn't selling out, as I've read somewhere, this is musical development. There's an intelligent restraint to this second effort, which shows O and the gang realise they can have just as much effect, and even more, if they tone some things down and allow themselves a bit more musical range. Fever to Tell was only really a single mode of song-writing, but Show Your Bones is a much broader affair. And because it's a bit more restrained, it actually seems angrier in parts. So far, it's maybe my second-favourite album of the year (Dresden Dolls Yes, Virginia... takes first place).

The first half is, admittedly, better than the second, containing all the absolutely great songs (I'd list them, but I may as well just say, all the first 7. And Honeybear is amazing), but the second is very good too. It may even jsut that I just haven't listened to the second half enough. Since I got this it's been on pretty regularly rotation, though i've listened to the first half more because it absolutely blew me away. Maybe once I've listened to the second as much I'll feel the same about the whole thing.

Show Your Bones rocks. It's musically great, vocally inspiring, the guitar-work is more careful, studied, and brilliant. Definitely buy it.
11 people found this helpful
on 16 July 2007
"Fever to Tell" was a raw, rowdy, and rambunctious album that demanded your attention. It was an album of manical drumming, booming reverb, and lead vocals that shrieked and shrilled. Ironically, although not irrelevant to this review, its most accessible song "Maps" would prove to be the one that guided the album into the charted waters of popular acclaim.

Why is this relevant? Because The YYYs second full-length album, "Show Your Bones", is a much more mature and structured effort. O's vocals are stripped back, Chase's drumming is kept in check, and Zinner's guitar-playing sticks to the script. So the band's gone and grown up - time to consign them to the footnotes of early 21st century music? Far from it! This is a sophomore album that will give the band much wider appeal, but should keep many earlier fans tuned into what they have to offer.

You could argue that "Maps" provides the bridge between the two albums. However, from the acoustic and gently sung opening bars of "Gold Lion", listeners know that they are in for something new here. The title of the song is a reference to the Gold Prize for Best Use of Music at the Cannes Lions Advertising Festival, which an Adidas television commercial featuring "Hello Tomorrow," written by Show Your Bones co-producer Squeak E. Clean, with vocals by O, won in 2005. Indeed, the opening lines of this song perhaps suggest some anguish at the loss of indie credibility that such mainstream success may bring:

Gold lion's gonna tell me where the light is, \
Gold lion's gonna tell me where the light is, \
Take our hands out of control, \
Take our hands out of control.

The Pixies are a pervasive influence on the album and fans of Kim Deal's singing will feel very nostalgic when listening to "Way Out" - just listen to how O sings the line "The face ain't making what the mouth needs"!

The other standout song on the album is "Cheated Heart". It has a good hook that O's vocals dance over nicely and the refrain of "I think that I'm bigger than the sound" is instantly recognisable. The song itself appears to be about a relationship about to take a "time out", with the suggestion that both may have a bit on the side. Great if you can get it, I always maintain!

Another track that catches the attenion lyrically is "Warrior", which appears to be about the hardship of being a band on the road, trying to live up to expectations:

Trouble at home \
Travel the way you say \
"The road don't like me" \
Travel it all, travel it all away \
"The road's gonna get on me" \
And I'm small \
The road's gonna get on me \
Well if it gets it all \
The road's gonna end on me

Other tunes well worth hearing are "Honeybear", "Dudley", and "Turn Into". However, a pleasing feature of this album is how different each song sounds from the rest and they all grow on you with a couple of listens.

Not a band that will necessarily write lyrics you then burn into your brain. However, this is an album that will survive frequent playing. If this is the YYYs gone mainstream, then welcome to the club.
6 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2006
This is a magnificent album from start to finish but like the other reveiwer said, dont expect it to be like Fever To Tell because it isn't. There certainly isnt as much screaming! This is not a negative thing though. Yeah Yeah Yeahs have REALLY grown & this album certainly reflects a more mature, polished sound, with slight tinges of Siouxsie Sioux & Gwen Stefani (in Karen O's amazing voice), especially in Gold Lion & Way Out where Karen really reminds me of Siouxsie.
I LOVE Honeybear. From first listen this is 1 of my favourites tracks from the album, along with Gold Lion, Way Out, Turn Into & Deja Vu.
If you are already a YYY's fan then you wont be dissapointed & anyone unfamiliar with their older work I think will love this too & it will probably urge you to buy their last album & their Master EP - both of which I strongly recommend to all rock fans.
I cant wait to listen to this album more & let each track grow into me like did with their last 2 CDs. The guys on the instruments are AMAZING. Listen to the guitar play in Fancy.
One person found this helpful