on 25 November 2010
Great board, USB3, SATA 6Gb/s, lots of room for large, very large CPU coolers, turbo boost, easy to overclock. For a mid priced motherboard this is the works, Amazon you did the business again, chastee10
on 11 October 2010
I am using this with an i7 core 930 CPU. runs like a dream with Windows7-64bit.

Took some trial and error to get it recognize all 4 x 2gb dims as they were not on the compatible list, but all working fine with no problems.

Have no USB 3.0 devices to test yet, or and SATA 6G drives, but no issues with SATA 1g/3g or USB 2 & 1.1
on 14 June 2011
I have been holding off on buying a motherboard for a while until some 'next generation' features were implemented, but I could wait no longer after ASUS released this board and the price dropped a bit. With plentiful RAID level support, USB3, a lot of room for hard drives, and plenty of space for RAM - this is a very good motherboard. I always feel happier buying from the company that manufactures the board, and not a third party manufacturer who uses some of their chipset but puts it together under another name. My last computer was also ASUS and is still very reliable. Putting it all together is made simple with their well written instruction manual. Although this board is primarily marketed towards games, I am using it for sound production, and mid range video editing using AVID. A good buy, and value for money.
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2015
I was an early adopter of this board, buying it in 2010. Here I am in 2015 reviewing it... Why you might ask?... Well, because it's a damn good board, anyone out there looking at this on here, or through the second hand market, this is a really sturdy board still able to compete with the latest generation of processors.

I carry out full HD gaming on my machine still, with a modern graphics card.

The cooling is excellent, the stability is excellent, the overclocking potential in the BIOS is great, and with the latest BIOS upgrades (up to version 8 as of November 2014) the board is competitive as ever, but of course the processors to go into this board are now a fraction of the cost they were when first released.

I personally have a first generation Core i7 950 running stock 3.02ghz in this board, it can easily overclock to 3.89Ghz on air cooling, and I did once in an air conditioned room have it up to 4.01ghz with over voltage on air cooling.

Drive wise we have the 6gb/s SATA speeds, USB 3.0 and with a decent power supply and plenty of drive bays you can use this as a home server without any issues, certainly when this retires from being my main development PC it will become my home file server as the performance is fantastic.

Would I pick fault with it anywhere? Yes, one location is the memory compatibility and settings, though these are not a game changer, or show stopper you do have to spend a lot of time fiddling and getting your memory just right with this board, with the plethora of cheaper generic DDR3 memory now on the market this problem can only become a larger problem. I would strongly recommend with this board buying known sets of the same brand and same model memory at the same time.

I have run the board with both a set of 4 x 2GB Corsair DDR3 sticks and now a set of 4 x 4GB Razorback sticks without issue, running the RAM at 1.6ghz at 2.1v without issues.

I've also used this board with various graphics cards, from a Zotac GeForce 260 (squared) GTX, to my newest an EVGA GeForce 770 GTX SC. There are no compatibility problems with the graphics cards and the PCIe implementation on this board, I'm perhaps going to look at a 970 GTX as the final evolution of graphics card for this machine before it's retired. That said, the cooler for the on board controller ships on the board can hinder inserting a large graphics card, and of course new coolers on graphics cards do stop you inserting anything into the PCIe 1x slot directly below either of the PCIe 16x slots used by said graphics card.

The on board sound is good, however the built in noise cancelling leaves sound recorded via the microphone slot sounding somewhat washed out, this is more a problem with the sound chip than the mother board itself. The surround sound play-back is brilliant.

This is a full ATX motherboard, however, if you can stand to use a board that large, with the big cooling bonuses on the board this would make for a very good home entertainment based unit PC, with the sound system being right there in true dolby stereo.

The only other "fault" with the board would be that two of the SATA connectors come out at a right angle to the board (bottom right area of the board) if you have a tight fit case you're not going to be able to insert into those connectors easily.

I personally mounted this into a Coolmaster Cosmos 1000 case, and it's been in there since purchase without issues.
on 10 November 2011
Had to replace a much more expensive mobo and bought this. So far very happy with it, can't really fault it and in some ways is alot better then my previous mobo.

It comes with alot of free software including Asus gateway, utilities, back up etc... And a pretty cool program that allows you to mess about with the mobo settings.

Only downside:
1)Not enough usb ports for me, although this is easy to get around. There are 4 usb 2.0 and two usb 3.

2)The pci slots feel a little bit flimsy compared to my other mobo.

For the price I dont think you will find anything better and would highly recomend it.
on 1 February 2012
I'm a first time computer builder and have had this for roughly a year now. Brilliant piece of kit, has never failed and started first time with no trouble. Fast transfer, easy install and comprehensive instructions manual. Very good.
review image review image
on 30 October 2012
Kinda late on this review. The M-board is rock-solid. Could not ask for better performance. Zero compatibility issues. Super fast 6GB SATA.
on 14 May 2011
Received the board from Amazon very quickly. Installed it with compatible RAM as recommended and switched on. Nothing!!! Board wouldn't post... RAM error light was lit. There is an onboard function where the board automatically tries to set the correct setting for the RAM. Pressed the button to start this procedure... nothing!! I checked the ASUS forum and there are many, many reports the same as mine... all they could do was return/RMA the board as I did. Amazon refunded my money very quickly and I bought a Gigabyte board... and had no issues at all.
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2014