Customer reviews

on 29 August 2015
I have just bought this book for my kindle, having a paperback version that's falling apart from being read. I love Nevil Shute's books, they all contain that element of mysticism somehow that transforms them from your standard aircraft type novels into something quite special. But this, this is the most special one of all. The sheer intensity of the emotions of the bomber pilot and the great love he has for his one girl are vividly depicted. Few writers working today could match this storyteller.

I am busy buying many 'old' authors for my kindle, to preserve the copies I have and to be able to have their magic with me at all times on the equally magical kindle. Nevil Shute is right there at the top of the buying list and this is the first of his books I have bought, as it's the one I love the most.
on 4 May 2013
I was brought up as a teenager (just over 50 years ago) in a household where there was always a Nevil Shute book on the library shelf. If you look for book that contains old fashioned values in the storyline then you will find them here - it is good to slip back to these occasionally. Having read all of the NS books before, this one has a good story but is heavily biased (as almost all of his books are) to aircraft and flight and an interest here will help the reader have a better appreciation. This is one of the best he has written and will make a good read.
on 1 October 2017
What a lovely story,from beginning to end. It has your emotions all over the place, and you find out what a small world we live in really as your friends will find you wherever you are.
on 3 March 2017
Rather an odd style of writing, as I found it confusing working out who was the story-teller as it changed without any indication in the text. However, as usual, a thought provoking novel.
on 12 April 2018
a great read! Great service.
on 15 September 2013
Neville Shute tells a wonderful story and has a profound understanding of human psychology. I've only recently discovered him but I am completely hooked. The way this particular novel so seamlessly sashays between the past and the present is truly masterly. A very good read and highly recommended.
on 10 July 2017
Delivered as stated and in very good condition, thank you
on 2 November 2017
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 27 June 2017
Another excellent read from this brilliant author.
on 23 November 2014
I f you are reading Nevil Shute novels for the first time this is not one of his best, albeit a decent yarn. The mystic theme is used to far greater advantage in, for example, In the Wet.