Customer reviews

Bach, J.S.: The Organ Works
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£30.99

on 10 February 2016
This box comes at a bargain price and it contains the cvasi-complete organ works of Bach (excepting Neumeister collection). I consider it is one of the best modern recordings existing nowadays. The Trio Sonatas, the concerts and the Eighteen Chorales are wonderful and very original - to say the truth, Preston has a new, modern vision on Bach. The organs chosen for these recordings are among the best ones, with a so pleasant sound! DG engineers made a good job, as the Organ is one of the most difficult instrument to be recorded. They deserve all our esteem! Among my other complete organ recordings, Mr. Simon Preston's set is one of the best existing in my collection and I listen often to it or to Marie-Calire Alain' third recording from Erato (another gem!).
on 21 November 2015
Preston's playing is correct and measured, though having been raised on Walcha's dramatic performances, these are a bit sedate in comparison. However, the recordings are good, Preston's technique is excellent, the organs and venues are full of character, and the overall value is excellent. I look forward to listening to these over the years.
on 3 August 2017
I just received this collection & have only been able to listen to a small part of disc 1 - XOXOXOXOXO - georgeous mucic! Can't wait to hear more - it is presently hot summer with fans on high...when it cools down I can luxuriate & melt into this wonderful cd set!
on 5 November 2017
This is just so much better than other recordings on offer. Full of vitality and power. I am sure my uncle George Thalben-Ball would have approved.
on 14 March 2016
For those who need a lot of Legato in BACH pieces, I would strongly advise to go for another organist. Now for those like me who can't stand Legato play in BACH pieces, this is just like heaven. The play is absolutely flawless, each note is crisp and clear, "despite" the brisk pace. I say despite, but it is by no means a criticism as I think the tempo is just as right as the play. 548 is probably the only one I would have liked slower, but that is really down to personal preference. A must have for Bach lovers.
on 26 January 2017
Briskly played and a delight to spend an hour or two with. Very good value for money.
on 25 May 2016
The sensitive perfection of Preston's playing and the quality of the instruments used and of the recordings make this an essential edition of Bach's organ works and a significant milestone in their recorded performance.
on 21 July 2017
A superb collection, how can you go wrong with an organist of Simon Preston's calibre.
on 14 August 2016
Great composer, great performer.
on 5 October 2015
Took this collection on holiday with me - a friend (who likes Simon Preston's playing anyway) loved it so much he bought his own copy. Need I say more ?