Tombstone [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 5 October 2017
This is a review for Tombstone - The Directors Cut [DVD].

Every now and again rival film studios will produce competing films based upon the same subject matter. So, we had the choice between Wyatt Earp and Tombstone. Wyatt Earp spends most of its running time on Wyatt's early years and events leading up to the shootout at the OK corral and its subsequent fallout. Whilst, Tombstone more or less begins with the Earp's arriving in the infamous town and deals with the events leading up to the famous gunfight and everything that followed.

This director's cut is far superior to the original theatrical release in that it gives us more in the way of character development. All the actors involved give knockout performances, but special mention must go to Stephen Lang as the cowardly braggart Ike Clanton, the late Powers Boothe as "Curly" Bill Brocious and Michael Biehn as Johnny Ringo. However, the true star of this film is Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. He is utterly charming, amusing and deadly in the role. The cinematography, sets and costumes are all of a very high standard. The script is fantastic with some great, humorous lines. See an example below.

Kate: "I've been good to you, I've taken care of you. If you die, where does that leave me?"
Doc Holliday: "Without a meal ticket I suppose." ;-)

Film ratio is 2.35:1. Audio is DD 5.1. Picture quality is a tad grainy, but this adds to the period detail. Sound is fine. Languages - English. Subtitles - English, English SDH, German, Dutch.

Extras include - The Making Of Tombstone Featurette In Three Parts - "An Ensemble Cast", "Making An Authentic Western" And "The Gunfight At The O.K. Corral, Audio Commentary By Director George P. Cosmatos, Interactive Tombstone Timeline, Director's Original Storyboards: O.K. Corral Sequence, The Tombstone Epitaph - Actual Newspaper Account, Faro At The Oriental: Game Of Chance - DVD-ROM Feature.

In conclusion, this is an excellent 90's western which is very entertaining and even though it isn't totally historically accurate it's pretty darn close. Closer, say, than John Ford's "My Darling Clementine" or the John Sturges version, "The Gunfight At The O.K. Corral"!
on 21 March 2015
Just in my humble opinion of course but I consider Tombstone to be number two on my list of the greatest westerns ever to appear on our screens. The casting is second to none with Kurt Russell portraying Wyatt Earp in a more than an acceptable fashion and whilst it can be argued that there have been a number of excellent stars that have admirably represented the character of Doc Holliday, Val Kilmer's effort is second to none. Then of course there is the supporting cast ... the excellent Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton making up the rest of the Earp family. I need not go into the story as it has been told many times ... but it is a truly great film ... the second best western ever!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 May 2015
Having recently watched the epic film Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner, I was interested in looking at the story from a different angle. Whilst there are similarities, Wyatt Earp was not a remake and so to me it was a wholly different film. Tombstone has a much different feel to it, with a faster pace and more action to it. A good old fashioned western film

Blu-Ray quality is very good, not some up-scaled DVD. Sound quality through my TV speakers was clear, so I am guessing that it would be even better through a sound bar. I picked this up for just under £5 which was a bargain for such a good film. A definite must have for Western film fans
on 23 July 2013
This film was made at almost the same time as Kevin Costner's 'Wyatt Earp'. Both versions have their aficionados and there is not a lot to choose between them. This film concentrates on the Tombstone period including the Earp vendetta that followed, while the Costner film attempts to cover Earp's complete life story before during and after Tombstone. Both films cover the essential features of the events with minor variations depending on the source material. Both films are more detailed and accurate than any of the earlier films have been. There was always a degree of conflict between Earp's own account, documented by Stuart Lake and the later recollections of Wyatt Earp's widow. A modern balanced account, based in part on previously unpublished, contemporaneous documents, is to be found in 'Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend' by Casey Tefertiller - a superb account. If I had to choose between the two films I prefer 'Tombstone' but it a close run thing and many people may choose to have both films in their collection. There is a number of special features including interesting interviews with most of the main stars giving their views about the historical accuracy as well as their personal experiences in the making of the film.
on 4 October 2017
Love westerns . Film might not be accurate, but a wonderful film all the same. Good acters, good performances all round . Tombstone has a quality atmosphere to it, the director has got this film just right.
on 27 August 2010
'Tombstone' is streets better than 'Wyatt Earp', that was made at the same time. Kurt Russell is perfectly cast in the lead role, as is Val Kilmer in the role as Doc Holiday.

Wyatt Earp is now retired as a lawman. He, and his two brothers (with their families) move to Tombstone to make their fortunes. Before long they find themselves in direct conflict with local gang 'the cowboys', that include notorious characters such as Curly Bill, Ike Clanton and Johnny Ringo.

Aided by a Doc Holiday, the Earps confront gang at the OK Coral and get the better of a spectacular shootout. In reprisal the gang take terrible on the Earp family. Now it is open war, with Wyatt Earp vowing to take his revenge.

This film is a classic. The characters are realistic, after a slow start the action is fast and furious, and the OK Cocal shootout was voted Hollywood's finest.
on 11 January 2013
When I first saw this movie I was actually in Tombstone watching it in the hotel room, so this movie has a lot of memories for me. However I have since seen other Tombstone movies (including the one with Kevin Costner) and I still feel this is the best one. There are wonderful performances by Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer and the whole feel of the movie just sucks me in to the history. It can get a bit violent at times but then that was the whole point as the town was under siege by the cowboys, and it was the Earps who sorted it out (whether they wanted to or not).

I also liked the film for exploring the relationship between Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday who were close friends right to the end (when I did shed a a tear or two in one of the final sequences). But most of all, I can sit watching the movie going "yeh, I know where that is, and that, and I also know where that is too" because I had been there.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2014
I was a bit sceptical in buying this Western as I'm not a big fan of this genre and having only seen bits of scenes from an old VHS many years ago this blu ray certainly opened my eyes. I can sincerely say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Some great shoot outs. Superb acting by all and presented in stunning all round quality. It really transports you to the wild wild west.
on 13 December 2013
Its good to have a copy of this western which I dont have to adjust the tele to zoom to watch it. This is as I'm sure most people know a story of Wyatt Earp and his and doc Hollidays battle with the bad cowboys. This copy is a big improvement on the old dvd which was in 4:3 letterbox. This blue ray copy has a fair transfer and good DTS 5:1 audio. The extras are 'Making of; Storyboards and Trailors. All in all if you like this version of Wyatt Earp this is quite a good blue ray DVD
on 4 April 2013
I first saw this movie at the show. I enjoyed it then and still do. I would not watch it with a small children but it is very well acted and a good account of what the west was like. I travelled through the old west as a child and have been to Tombstone, Black Hills and all the historical places of the west. The John Wayne glamour is not what the west was really about but this shows it very close, plus the costumes are like they wore.