Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 4 April 2004
Put on your leg warmers, put this Cd on and be transported back to the early eighties and one of the best TV shows of it's time!This album is near perfect from the opening lines of the wonderfull hit Starmaker to the beautiful closing track Be My Music. On I Can do Anything Better Than You Can you can visualise the scene of Lydia putting the kids thru their paces and you'll find you can't help but dance yourself. I Still Believe in me was used as a B side but is one of the best tracks on this CD a powerful poigniant song that gives you the strength to really believe in your dreams. Hi Fidelity is perfect pop and Valerie Landsburgs(Doris) vocals are great! She was always my favourite!! Its Gonna Be A Long Night is a bittersweet ballad and Lori Singers weak vocals only add to the vulnerability of the track. The kids from Fame were never really taken seriously but this is seriously good music and has worn well over the years. Their albums sold by the bucket load so why aren't their other albums available on CD? I'm not ashamed to say this is one of the best CD's in my collection. If you liked the Kids From Fame buy it you won't be disappointed!!! Its everything you'll need! tracks to dance to, cry to and tracks that make you feel good about yourself. What more could you ask for?
on 10 May 2004
At long last they decided to bring out the very first Fame album out on cd (come on where are the rest ?) ! Only had to wait nearly 20 years for it. I followed Fame through the six series and the cast felt, and still feel like friends to me. To hear these songs again is like a massive 'blast from the past'. The first song is 'Starmaker' and it did very well in the charts. It still sounds brilliant and its lovely to hear all the individual voices so well. To hear Debbie Allen (Miss Lydia Grant) singing 'come on boys you can do it' ! in the song 'I can do anything better than you can', just takes you straight back into one of her dance classes with Gene Anthony Ray (Leroy) and Erica Gimple (Coco) waiting to dance their hearts away. One song that could have been left off is 'Its gonna be a long night' by Lori Singer (Julie). I personally think it was a grave mistake to let her sing a solo and its still as bad today as it ever was. Hi Fidelity is still as sharp and funny as it always has been and when hearing it you can still see Valerie Landsburg (Doris) jumping up and down to the keyboard playing of Lee Curreri (Bruno). Desdermona just sounds great with the opening 'oooooooooohhhhhh my desdermona' sung by Leroy. This cd is a MUST - go and buy it. In memory of Gene Anthony Ray RIP.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2002
I was only about five years old in 1982, but I remember vividly 'Fame' and its spin offs. This album is a super example of how pop should be, and I am speaking as a lover of 'serious music'. One listen to it took me straight back to the early 80s and got me all dewy-eyed and nostalgic. 'Hi Fidelity' is pure pop class , the like of which the pap idols of today can't even get close to! A winner!
on 28 August 2001
I adore this album, mainly due to its ability to appeal to my sense of nostalgia for things connected with my formative years in the early eighties!I am actually slightly biased as I spoke to Lee Curreri ( Bruno, the sensitive one on the keyboard)recently.The TV show is being repeated on a digital channel and he was over here to promote it. He wrote the evocative "Be My Music" which is on the album and he is also producing a new version of " Hi-Fidelity" in the near future. The original was a hit for Valerie Landsburg and is featured on this album. It makes you want to sing along!
The other songs are well worth listening to."Desdemona" is a reworking of "Othello" which may be useful if you can't be bothered to read Shakespeare's original!Lori Singer's wavering voice does not detract from the beautiful, "It's Gonna Be A long Night" and if you want uplifting, Debbie Allen and Erica Gimpel singing " I Still Believe In Me" gives you a sense of pride, hope and belief in your dreams.
I said at the beginning of this review that my sense of nostalgia makes me love this album. I think it's more than that. It stands alone as a product of its time and is fun to listen to.It's like an old friend that you turn to when you want cheering up!
on 28 January 2002
Fame Fame Fame. What a show and what an album! Forget Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and N'Sync. If you want pure, unsoiled, quality pop then this is the album. Admittedly it is 80's pop but it hasn't got the raft of synthesizers that you might expect. Instead it's strength comes from it's energy and variation. From the wonderful chorus number "Starmaker" to the Foot-tapping "Hi-fidelity" to the tear-jerking "Be My Music" this is one album that you will grow to love. It's totqally devoid of any big names but has all the class and melodic interest of any artist. Buy it!!!
on 19 March 2003
OK if you're in your 20's and songs like St. Elmo's Fire give you goosebumps, then this album is for you. I've had the cassette since age 8 and now I've finally got to trade it in for a CD.
'Be my Music' and 'It's Gonna be a Long Night' are my personal favourites along with 'Starmaker' and 'I can do anything (better than you can)'.
It features all the stars from the original TV series including Leroy, Bruno and the rest.
This album is a pop phenomenon and you can't help but sing along, and even dance around the house with the volume up full.
You'll love it
For anyone now between 25 and 35 leg warmers will have been the height of fashion at one point. Closely associated with this trend was the film and later tv series Fame. The Friends of its time it was not only a great and addictive series in its own right but spawned a load of songs which helped form a few albums. A number of these did very well in the u.k. charts and many of the best are in this album. I've had the vinyl of this since 82 and have been after the cd for a long time... to have songs like Starmaker and I Still Believe In Me in digital format. Wonderful : )
on 11 October 2005
For a story that was so "American" and set in New York City I am amazed that these have never been released here but was so glad to find on Amazon.uk These take me back to my own theater classes in High School and how great it would be to taking a dance class with Miss Grant and hanging with CoCo and Doris. Instant gratification to remembering a time when innocence prevailed and dreams of Fame were possible!!
on 4 September 2007
Thank you Amazon for having this in stock. Please don't stop making this available. I just dug out the album when packing up my parents things. I used to listen to this album so much as a young adult and when I saw the album and realized I had no record player to play it I was hurt. I took a chance and looked for it online and it came up. I cried. My high school sang Starmaker as one of our graduation songs 20 years ago. I used to be a dancer so Fame was a show I was glued to and I used to make dances from the songs on this album. Thanks a zillion for allowing me to hold on to these great memories.
on 19 October 2006
I owned this album in the '80's, taped it and listened to it every day in my car. Two of the songs I've had my church youth choir sing: "Life Is A Celebration" and "Step Up To The Mike". (Life Is A Celebration was actually written by Rick Springfield.) Some of the songs are obviously overdubbed, as the cast member's voice wasn't that great, but they're all good songs.